Best & worst Bourbon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Some real bourbon experts in here. A lot of great info. I recently tried the Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve (120 proof) at lunch a couple weeks back and thought it was quite tasty. So I ordered a bottle...for $30 it's a solid value.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:56 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Speaking of Smooth Ambler, I stopped by their distillery last weekend and tried several things of theirs you can't find in VA's crappy ABC stores.

I'm a fan of their 7 year bourbon and their 7 year rye, both sourced products. Tried the 10 year bourbon, which the server claimed was typically something those who like the 7 don't like (and vice versa). It was tasty, and I bought a bottle. I can't recall if it's wheated and the 7 is high rye content or vice versa.

They also had a 9 year release of the same stuff as the 7, single barrel. Not sure it's substantially better with 2 more years to it.

Tried the Contradiction, which is a blend of their sourced 10 and their own distilled bourbon with 2 years of age. (The 10 must be wheated as IIRC their distillate is high rye bourbon.) This is available in DC and MD. Bought a bottle.

They also had a 3 year expression of their own distillate, which though definitely showing youth has promise. They said they plan a wider release of it a couple of years or so. And they're growing their own rye now as well, with their corn coming from Indiana IIRC.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Went to my liquor store yesterday and the manager, who knows me pretty well, had received some Sazerac 6 yo and set a few aside for me. $23/bottle cash price -- I was all over that like stink on a monkey!

Also picked up something new (for me) from a Texas distillery: Ranger Creek Rimfire, which is a scotch-style single malt smoked with Texas mesquite instead of peat. Can't wait to try it; sounds interesting.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 3:56 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Also picked up something new (for me) from a Texas distillery: Ranger Creek Rimfire, which is a scotch-style single malt smoked with Texas mesquite instead of peat. Can't wait to try it; sounds interesting.
Balcones Brimstone from Texas is scrub oak smoked, and though the smoke is overpowering, it's quite interesting.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:04 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by exerda
Speaking of Smooth Ambler, I stopped by their distillery last weekend and tried several things of theirs you can't find in VA's crappy ABC stores.

I'm a fan of their 7 year bourbon and their 7 year rye, both sourced products. Tried the 10 year bourbon, which the server claimed was typically something those who like the 7 don't like (and vice versa). It was tasty, and I bought a bottle. I can't recall if it's wheated and the 7 is high rye content or vice versa.

They also had a 9 year release of the same stuff as the 7, single barrel. Not sure it's substantially better with 2 more years to it.

Tried the Contradiction, which is a blend of their sourced 10 and their own distilled bourbon with 2 years of age. (The 10 must be wheated as IIRC their distillate is high rye bourbon.) This is available in DC and MD. Bought a bottle.

They also had a 3 year expression of their own distillate, which though definitely showing youth has promise. They said they plan a wider release of it a couple of years or so. And they're growing their own rye now as well, with their corn coming from Indiana IIRC.
It's funny how you mentioned that those who like the 7 don't tend to like the 10 yo product (and vice versa).. I've always been a huge fan of the 7.. the first time I tried the 10 yo I hated it... way too sweet.. I got overwhelmed by caramel tones... then one night I was eating ice cream and I poured myself a glass... holy cow.. what a perfect pairing it was...

Their own distillate is a 60% corn, 20% wheat, 20% barley mashbill.. I haven't tried the yearling yet but I have heard that it shows promise..

It's great that they show the meatballs on their website.. just realized why the 10 yo is so sweet- it's a high corn product (75%).. and yes the 7 is a high rye...

It's good stuff; a buddy of mine flies his private plane into there from time to time and keeps inviting me to come....

FDW
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Today is Friday. What are you planning on drinking this weekend? Trying anything new or just the comfort of the ol' standby?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Today is Friday. What are you planning on drinking this weekend? Trying anything new or just the comfort of the ol' standby?
Last week I picked up a bottle of Highland Park 18 which, despite being a fan of the HP Valhalla collection, I hadn't tried before. It's great stuff -- why did it take me so long to try? I may need another dram this weekend.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:42 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

My neighborhood is having a Octoberfest this weekend.. since I only tolerate beer from time to time I've also used it as an excuse to have a little whiskey tasting.... current plan is:
Bernheim 7 yo Wheat Whiskey
Old Weller Antique
Smooth Ambler 7 yo Bourbon
Smooth Ambler 7 yo Rye

So I figure we have a wheat whiskey, a wheated bourbon, a high rye bourbon and a rye for tasting.. should be interesting...

FDW
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Last week I picked up a bottle of Highland Park 18 which, despite being a fan of the HP Valhalla collection, I hadn't tried before. It's great stuff -- why did it take me so long to try? I may need another dram this weekend.
Excellent choice. I saw a wide variety of HP offerings at a World Duty Free shop recently. Many I would assume to be travel exclusives. Harald, Loki, etc.... Enjoy!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
My neighborhood is having a Octoberfest this weekend.. since I only tolerate beer from time to time I've also used it as an excuse to have a little whiskey tasting.... current plan is:
Bernheim 7 yo Wheat Whiskey
Old Weller Antique
Smooth Ambler 7 yo Bourbon
Smooth Ambler 7 yo Rye

So I figure we have a wheat whiskey, a wheated bourbon, a high rye bourbon and a rye for tasting.. should be interesting...

FDW
Been meaning to buy Old Weller Antique and WL Weller 12 in my attempt to create "Poor Man's Pappy".

Not sure if it's worth the trouble.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:05 am

Excellent choice. I saw a wide variety of HP offerings at a World Duty Free shop recently. Many I would assume to be travel exclusives. Harald, Loki, etc.... Enjoy!
Never had the chance to try the Harald, but the Loki is one of the Valhalla collection and if you see a bottle, grab it because I don't think they're making any more. I am still looking for a bottle of the Odin, and my liquor store says the chances of seeing one are slim. Guess I need to check duty free stores as well; maybe I'll get lucky.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:39 am

Been meaning to buy Old Weller Antique and WL Weller 12 in my attempt to create "Poor Man's Pappy".

you can find weller 12?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by thelark
you can find weller 12?
Actually, I can't.

I'll just use Maker's Mark.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:05 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by thelark
you can find weller 12?
I've never seen a bottle of Weller 12 in Maryland... or rather anywhere on the shelf.. I had someone send me a bottle from Texas... apparently it grows on trees there... I made a 60/40 antique:12 blend and let is sit for a month... it was okay but did't quite have the body that the Rip Van Winkle 10 has...

I do quite like the Old Weller Antique.. for the price one of the best drinkers out there....

FDW
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I killed a bottle of Angels Envy last night. Been out drinking stout this evening but will probably crack open one of 2 bottles of 1792 sitting on the floor by the liquor cabinet. Or maybe lower the level in the Colonel EH Taylor that's already open. The old standby is Basil Haydens. I will hold off opening the next bottle until company arrives in 2 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.