Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 7:46 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

What's the secondary market on this bottle? Doesn't seem to have hit yet, but it could be considered a great investment.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:34 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DSI
What's the secondary market on this bottle? Doesn't seem to have hit yet, but it could be considered a great investment.
I considered that... VA ABC was quick to remind people that it's a crime in VA to resell alcohol, and that the bottles are etched with a serial #. (Not that that is going to dissuade resales much, or that VA ABC will be monitoring all online sales channels...)

Figured I could parcel out bottle share portions to offset some of the investment, but then did the math and realized it would be a tough sell to recoup even a decent portion. If I gave up half the bottle, that's 6 2oz shares... meaning I'd have to charge $150 each to even break even. Few bottle share groups I follow charge remotely that much for much rarer and older stuff.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DSI
Oh which bottle? Also, it really depends on where you are. I have seen 10yo Pappy (retail $40 +/-) sell for $500+. So if you were able to get a retail bottle in a lottery or by some other means it would be worth investing the $40 but me personally, I'd enjoy the drink.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I'm a fan of Eagle Rare. Purchased (4) 6 packs a year ago and gave away most of them for Holiday gifts. Down to my last 2 bottles.. Time to stock up again..

Last edited by Flying Machine; May 24, 2017 at 7:47 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
Oh which bottle? Also, it really depends on where you are. I have seen 10yo Pappy (retail $40 +/-) sell for $500+. So if you were able to get a retail bottle in a lottery or by some other means it would be worth investing the $40 but me personally, I'd enjoy the drink.
I opened and have enjoyed the Pappy 12 I won via lottery back in December, FWIW. Just couldn't bring myself to enter the Pappy 25 lottery given it would cost $1800 if I won...
Old May 25, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
Just couldn't bring myself to enter the Pappy 25 lottery given it would cost $1800 if I won...
I'm sure. Neither could I, that is crazy money for a bottle of booze.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:03 pm

It's kind of crazy how Pappy is so expensive. I've had a sip of it. While I think it's delicious, but for the price some folks pay, there are other options.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
Pappy 25 is going for 10k on the secondary market right now. Ouch!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by guller
Pappy 25 is going for 10k on the secondary market right now. Ouch!
No booze is worth $10k FWIW.

But watch Bieber buy a bottle or two and drink it mixed with coke.

I'd have entered the lottery just for the chance at the secondary market if I didn't think VA ABC had recorded the serial #s and would actually go after any winners reselling it.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Is anyone drinking a Burbon that they like and would like to share their tasting notes. All the banter about Pappy is well taken but I would like to learn about others as well. I posted about Eagle Rare and it went unoticed
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:17 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Plenty of wines with larger distributions cost more than pappy 25. It would be great it a bar sold pappy 25 jello shots--would result in lots of advertising!

So VA would go after someone if you won the lottery and then sold it three years later if you moved to a different state? guess I'm surprised.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Per Food and Wine magazine, here are the 25 most important bourbons ever made. Note, Makers Mark came in #1 .

http://www.foodandwine.com/cocktails...vored-bourbons
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by phillygold
Per Food and Wine magazine, here are the 25 most important bourbons ever made. Note, Makers Mark came in #1 .

Thanks for posting, nice read. After touring several on the Burbon Trail, I remember many of the names mentioned. Now just have to tatse them all..
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:44 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I'm a fan of Eagle Rare. Purchased (4) 6 packs a year ago and gave away most of them for Holiday gifts. Down to my last 2 bottles.. Time to stock up again..
Great choice here... try to find a store that did a barrel and stock up. I love Old Weller Antique barrel picks... $25 a bottle for a 6-7 yr old wheater? Delicious! I typically buy a case or two a year and drink/give it away....

FDW
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:47 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by phillygold

The most important bourbon on that list for me was Willet Family Estate. it introduced me to single barrel bourbon. To barrel strength bourbon. and to the rarity and uniqueness of each Willett....

My very first bottle was a Shoppers Vineyard pick in either 2008 or 2009... I didn't know what I was buying but it was amazing delicious with a great mouthfeel... amazing finish as well.. I wouldn't clean the glass out to get a great nose the next day... I thought all WIllettts were like this till I tried to track down my next bottle... to this day I still dream of this bottle....

FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.