Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
There's a new release of high wests mid winters night dram that might be tasty.
I just saw that for the first time this evening - is it worth the spend? What's it like? Have you had the yippee ki-yay? That is great.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Madone59
I just saw that for the first time this evening - is it worth the spend? What's it like? Have you had the yippee ki-yay? That is great.
I've had some of the previous years releases.. I'll be honest it's not for me.. I just don't like my whiskey's finished though.. I feel that by barrel finishing a whiskey it imparts a sweetness that I just don't care for (though maybe that's because I like peppery notes)... But, I really respect the guys at High West... they do a great job blending and I love how much rye they use... it's definitely worth picking up a bottle... they do a much better job than the Angel's Envy guys...

So I'm a neat kind of guy and new oak kind of guy...

FDW
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
There wasn't anything right around $100. I considered the IW Harper 15 year but rejected it since I know nothing about it. Finally settled on the High West Bourye. Paid $79.99. Won't be opened for another 3 weeks but I'm looking forward to it.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
There wasn't anything right around $100. I considered the IW Harper 15 year but rejected it since I know nothing about it. Finally settled on the High West Bourye. Paid $79.99. Won't be opened for another 3 weeks but I'm looking forward to it.
We opened the Bourye last night for a taste. Very complex. There's the sweetness of a bourbon and the spiciness of a rye. A lot going on in this drink and I'll be having more than one the next time I sit down with the bottle.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:14 pm

I picked up the yippe, but haven't tried it yet. Store range out of midwinter just before I got there. Recent buys of Rowan's Creek (decent), Noah's Mill, baby Saz (can't go wrong), ogd 114 (fantastic for an old fashioned), whistle pig store pick (meh), old scout 11yr SB BP (not very good), Weller SR, Weller 12 (amazing at msrp when you can find it).

Found a stash of EH Taylor BP and think I need to grab some, really liked last year's release and still have a sealed bottle. Anyone try this year's? Sipping some Willett 8 rye now and it's excellent.

Last edited by thelark; Nov 6, 2016 at 8:30 pm
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thelark

Found a stash of EH Taylor BP and think I need to grab some, really liked last year's release and still have a sealed bottle. Anyone try this year's?
BamaVol Jr #1 gave me a bottle of the single barrel as a gift last year. I enjoyed it but had not heard that it has since become difficult to find. We looked in both high-end local liquor stores Saturday to no avail. They did have a couple bottles of the EH Taylor Rye but it wasn't what we were looking for.

Last edited by BamaVol; Nov 8, 2016 at 10:27 am
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:54 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

super proud to announce that I scored a bottle of Pappy 23, and not at some hugely marked up price!

Before I drink it, I'd like to learn a little bit about bourbon and do a lot of sampling. Any recommendations that'll take me through a range of tastes? Small bottles are a plus since I can move quicker.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:54 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BamaVol
We opened the Bourye last night for a taste. Very complex. There's the sweetness of a bourbon and the spiciness of a rye. A lot going on in this drink and I'll be having more than one the next time I sit down with the bottle.
Lovely.. I think it opens up a lot too

I picked up the yippe, but haven't tried it yet. Store range out of midwinter just before I got there. Recent buys of Rowan's Creek (decent), Noah's Mill, baby Saz (can't go wrong), ogd 114 (fantastic for an old fashioned), whistle pig store pick (meh), old scout 11yr SB BP (not very good), Weller SR, Weller 12 (amazing at msrp when you can find it).

Found a stash of EH Taylor BP and think I need to grab some, really liked last year's release and still have a sealed bottle. Anyone try this year's? Sipping some Willett 8 rye now and it's excellent.
I'm not a huge fan of barrel finished whisky but High West puts out some good stuff... that's a shame the Old Scount wasn't good.. I've always had good experiences with them... I haven't ever seen Weller 12 on the shelf in our parts...

I'm not a huge EH Taylor fan but their Barrel proof offering is nice... always worth picking up if you find it IMO..

Originally Posted by DSI
super proud to announce that I scored a bottle of Pappy 23, and not at some hugely marked up price!

Before I drink it, I'd like to learn a little bit about bourbon and do a lot of sampling. Any recommendations that'll take me through a range of tastes? Small bottles are a plus since I can move quicker.
Congrats! but I think I already told you that!

I'ld try a wheated bourbon similar to Pappy- Old Weller Antique. Same mash bill, just aged only 7ish years... should be about $25-30 a bottle..

I'ld then try a high rye bourbon- Four Roses Single Barrel comes to mind. about $40 a bottle

those should give yo a nice contrast in bourbons..

FDW

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Nov 8, 2016 at 4:01 am
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:41 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Perfect! I'll get 'em. Thank you
Old Nov 11, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just hit the jackpot. Had to be in Raleigh today and stopped at a Raleigh ABC store on the way back to Durham.

They had Weller 107 at a very reasonable price point ($28). I've never seen it at any NC ABC store - she said they'd just gotten it earlier in the week. Naturally I bought the 3 that were left
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Just hit the jackpot. Had to be in Raleigh today and stopped at a Raleigh ABC store on the way back to Durham.

They had Weller 107 at a very reasonable price point ($28). I've never seen it at any NC ABC store - she said they'd just gotten it earlier in the week. Naturally I bought the 3 that were left
I'm still angry I didn't stock up on w107. FlyingDoctorWu had told me about a great store pick a year or two ago when I was still in his area. Now I'm in TX and it's near impossible to find.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by DSI
Perfect! I'll get 'em. Thank you
Schawan has a couple barrel picks right now from High West. I haven't had them yet but the world that I'm getting is that they are quite tasty....

Originally Posted by Duke787

It's rarely on the shelf here in Baltimore. However, two stores have purchased barrels over the last couple years so they get about 220 bottles in at a time when those are delivered. I always make sure to get a case because at the price point it's unbeatable.... makes a great gift for people as well...

I'm still angry I didn't stock up on w107. FlyingDoctorWu had told me about a great store pick a year or two ago when I was still in his area. Now I'm in TX and it's near impossible to find.
Didn't realize you moved. Thought you were up in PA still... hope you had some luck in TX this year with the hunt though... there should be plenty of Weller 12 in TX according to lore... I've never ever seen it here in MD

FDW
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:10 pm

Just snagged a bottle of Thomas H. Handy Sazerac rye for the boss's holiday gift. He will have a Merry Christmas indeed!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
Just snagged a bottle of Thomas H. Handy Sazerac rye for the boss's holiday gift. He will have a Merry Christmas indeed!
you're a good employee.. great gift...

One of the most underrated pours.. just had a glass tonite... for a young rye it's incredible.. very bold, great rye spice.. and love the finish....

Hopefully he'll open it with you

FDW
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Hopefully he'll open it with you
He definitely will, so I will report back. I am picking it up for our office Thursday and we are going it to him next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.