Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best & worst Bourbon?

Best & worst Bourbon?

Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I'm not exactly sure where the truth lies at Balcones and Chip Tate but I know one thing: Chip Tate worked hard at crafting a product that he could be proud of. That philosophy can clash with investors who focus on the bottom line. I think he left enough of a legacy at Balcones that they'll still put out good stuff....

Old Weller 107 is one of the best bargains in whiskey. Same mash bill as Pappy at a fraction of the price. Weller 12 also ranks up there. I bought a case of Old Weller for gifts and have plowed through it sadly; leaving me with only 1 bottle left... I would really urge you to try Four Roses again. Not the Yellow Label but the Single Barrel or Small Batch. For years Four Roses sent their best stuff to Japan but they reveresed that trend in recent year (probably starting in 2008). Jim Rutledge is a master distiller and they are really killing it recently. Probably some of my favorite stuff. They do a lot of private barrels for stores that are also nice to look for.

I love having whisky at the end of a hard day... really brings life into focus!

FDW
I will look for the Weller and Four Roses too. Like TMOliver, I'm old enough to remember Four Roses as a bottom shelf brand so thanks to this thread, I am being reeducated.

I like a whiskey at the end of the day to make life a little fuzzier. No reason I shouldn't enjoy every sip though.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I will look for the Weller and Four Roses too. Like TMOliver, I'm old enough to remember Four Roses as a bottom shelf brand so thanks to this thread, I am being reeducated.

I like a whiskey at the end of the day to make life a little fuzzier. No reason I shouldn't enjoy every sip though.
FDW speaks the truth. 4R has been crushing it - still great availability and reasonable prices. No reason not to keep a few bottles on your shelf.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Weller 107 is one of the best bargains in whiskey. Same mash bill as Pappy at a fraction of the price. Weller 12 also ranks up there. I bought a case of Old Weller for gifts and have plowed through it sadly; leaving me with only 1 bottle left... I would really urge you to try Four Roses again. Not the Yellow Label but the Single Barrel or Small Batch. For years Four Roses sent their best stuff to Japan but they reveresed that trend in recent year (probably starting in 2008). Jim Rutledge is a master distiller and they are really killing it recently. Probably some of my favorite stuff. They do a lot of private barrels for stores that are also nice to look for.

I love having whisky at the end of a hard day... really brings life into focus!

FDW
The 4R small batch is $29.99 at the local Mega-ABC. That's a very attractive price point. I have guests due in a couple weeks and usually gift them with a bottle of something. I believe I now have a plan.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
FIL Swede asked me to pick up two bottles of this...

https://blogofbourbon.wordpress.com/...single-barrel/

One he's keeping here, the other he's bringing back to Sweden.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
The 4R small batch is $29.99 at the local Mega-ABC. That's a very attractive price point. I have guests due in a couple weeks and usually gift them with a bottle of something. I believe I now have a plan.
Skip the small batch and go for the single barrel if they have it. Should be <$40.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:02 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
FIL Swede asked me to pick up two bottles of this...

https://blogofbourbon.wordpress.com/...single-barrel/

One he's keeping here, the other he's bringing back to Sweden.
FWIW, someone recommended to me blending the Old Weller 107 with the Weller 12 or Weller Special Reserve for imitation Pappy. I haven't tried it as I only have the 107 on hand. (This is the same someone who gifted me a small bottle of Pappy 20 for Christmas.)
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by thelark
FDW speaks the truth. 4R has been crushing it - still great availability and reasonable prices. No reason not to keep a few bottles on your shelf.
Skip the small batch and go for the single barrel if they have it. Should be <$40.
I prefer the single barrel as well.. if you can find a store pick barrel that's barrel proof those are great... I love higher proof whiskey (usually 115-130 is the barrel proof) and Four Roses makes a good one...Also the geek in me loves the different recipes that Four Roses has... However, if you ever see the limited edition small batch please pick it up.... it's significantly more (~$80) but usually excellent. This years was good; the previous years amazing...

Originally Posted by exerda
FWIW, someone recommended to me blending the Old Weller 107 with the Weller 12 or Weller Special Reserve for imitation Pappy. I haven't tried it as I only have the 107 on hand. (This is the same someone who gifted me a small bottle of Pappy 20 for Christmas.)

Ahh poor man's pappy...

I did a 40/60 mix of Weller 12/Weller 107... it's pretty good but honestly I prefer the products as a stand alone...

FDW
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was and I did. It was yesterday afternoon so you must have been sending the vibe prior to posting.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:18 pm

Elijah Craig's 18

Elijah Craig's 18, I like mixing it with Scofflaw cocktail.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:40 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lea25
Elijah Craig's 18, I like mixing it with Scofflaw cocktail.
Elijah Craig 18 was one of the best values in bourbon and my favorite. Too bad it's been off the market since 2012 I think. The 20+ yr releases they've been putting out are over Oakes and overpriced imo.
Fdw
Old May 1, 2015, 5:23 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
VA ABC stores in this area just got in Stagg, Jr., at $50/bottle and a whopping 134.4 proof. I have to say it's not bad even neat and smoother-drinking than one would expect for such a high-test bourbon. It's going fast, though; stores which showed 5 in stock yesterday show 0 today, and I picked up the last bottle at one of the stores along my commute.
Old May 1, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Elijah Craig 18 was one of the best values in bourbon and my favorite. Too bad it's been off the market since 2012 I think. The 20+ yr releases they've been putting out are over Oakes and overpriced imo.
Fdw
Pretty sure I just read that EC18 will be back on the market by the end of the year. Price will likely be significantly higher though ($100+).
Old May 1, 2015, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
VA ABC stores in this area just got in Stagg, Jr., at $50/bottle and a whopping 134.4 proof. I have to say it's not bad even neat and smoother-drinking than one would expect for such a high-test bourbon. It's going fast, though; stores which showed 5 in stock yesterday show 0 today, and I picked up the last bottle at one of the stores along my commute.
It's awesome and a great way to singe off pesky unwanted nose hairs. I usually put a couple cubes in it to good effect.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:30 am

interesting - stores around here have had it sitting for months. price is a bit higher though, I think closer to 70. I'd grab it at 50.
Old May 12, 2015, 7:46 pm

Figured this doesn't deserve its own thread and is just as likely to get an answer here: anyone have experience with willett 7yr rye? Found a place with some in stock and wondering if it's worth grabbing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.