Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
The first bourbon I ever tried was Woodford Reserve. I was sitting on the aisle when the window orderd a WR. The FA passed it under my nose as she served it and I had to know more. It smelled so sweet! My seatmate turned out to be very well versed in whisk(e)ys. He is in some society that travels to Scotland every year to vote on blends used by some manufacturer. Anyway, I handed back my red wine and asked for a WR. You can sure taste the corn so I guess that's where the sweetness comes from.

Since then, I've kept a bottle in the home bar, but have to keep replacing it since BV Jr and my son-in-law are big fans too. Since then, I've tried a couple others. BV Jr talked me into a shot of Basil Hayden at a bar and I am hooked on that as well: notes of vanilla, caramel and coconut! - mmmm.

Last month, I bought a bottle of the official whiskey of Alabama, Clyde May's Conecuh Ridge. I like that pretty well, but have to rank it #3. I did buy a bottle of Wild Turkey at Christmas (for the glasses) and found it way too harsh. Last month, I bought a bottle of Russell's Reserve. If I'd known it was aged Wild Turkey, I'd have bought something else. Even 10 years aging doesn't take the edge off the stuff.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 1:33 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I also like WR. Initially, I only knew of Jack Daniels but got a real education one night at the Lobby Bar at One Aldwych in London where I was invited to a special bourbon tasting including WR, Buffalo Trace, and some other bourbons I had never heard of before. I was too sloshed afterwards to remember the other names.....

Whether the Lobby Bar still has those today I don't know -- the Bar Manager has changed quite a few times since.....
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Sadly, Dickel, once the proud producers of parchment-labeled #12, my long time favorite among mass market Tennessee whisky/Bourbon, seems to have changed both label and whisky to a new name and color (red). Woodford remains a quite drinkable bottling in the sub-premium price range, to my taste far superior to two other popular types/brands, Jack Daniels and Maker's Mark. The super-premiums I've tried, all fine in their own way, are simply too expensive and of such complexity that to mask and dilute them with ice is a shame.

The sad view across the bar....Those poor souls who order "Crown Royal" and think they are drinking "Bourbon" or even a good whisk(e)y. Like Chivas Regal, it's all in the box, the name and the marketing (Well, maybe the blue ditty bag).
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:13 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Hmm. I guess I wasn't aware that Jack Daniels was considered to be a bourbon.

Anyway, my overall favorite is Knob Creek, although Makers Mark will certainly suffice and Woodford Reserve as well.

However, I may have to splurge when the weather gets cooler and try a bottle of Basil Hayden's from the recommendations made here.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:49 am

I didn't think Jack was a bourbon either?

My favorite is Elijah Craig 12 year old.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo

My favorite is Elijah Craig 12 year old.
I'll second the choice of Craig 12 year old. Made by the makers of Evan Williams, it's very good at a value price just like EW. It may not be the greatest, but you can't beat the quality/price ratio.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I found my local store selling handles (1.75L) of WR for $35. We have high liquor taxes here, so that's $3 more than the regular bottle of Makers, and far less than a regular bottle of Basil's. At that price:quality ratio, it's hard to justify other things (and the giant WR bottle is awesome, and not just because it's hard to pour a modest amount).

Originally Posted by griffinj
Are there any Rye whiskey's that FTer's recommend?
I was in a Manhattan phase a while ago, and found that, for that purpose anyway, I preferred the older, harsher style ryes. While I tried lots of small batch stuff, I enjoyed them less than Jim Beam.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
I say it's not. It's labeled a Tennessee whiskey, but technically according to the law, it's a corn whiskey, since it is made form 80% corn. I suppose one could argue a grey area in that the legal definition says a bourbon must be at least 51% corn, but states no upper limit, until you get to the next section defining corm whiskey, where it states the 80% requirement. Also, JD is charcoal filtered, which is something almost never done (can't name one that does, actually) to bourbons.

Other than those two items, it fits the description of a true bourbon.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I like Blanton's single barrel bourbon quite a bit. I have recently gotten interested in "classic cocktails". While several places have tried to make them with bourbon, the good ones use rye. My favorite rye thus far is Michter's 10 year old.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyway, my overall favorite is Knob Creek, although Makers Mark will certainly suffice and Woodford Reserve as well.

However, I may have to splurge when the weather gets cooler and try a bottle of Basil Hayden's from the recommendations made here.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
You will not regret spending a couple extra bucks. Although my bourbon experience is limited, I think it's something special. In fact, you talked me into a shot right now. ^
Old Aug 6, 2009, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

At the liquor store yesterday afternoon - I'm running out of things to try from the top shelf. I don't know about other states where the gubmint holds distribution rights, but Alabama does a terrible job and restricts brands to only the cheapest or most popular. So, I grabbed a bottle of Knob Creek and took it home. Wednesdays, Miss BamaVol and husband have dinner with us, so I had a drinking companion. He drinks it neat and since Mrs BamaVol had just thrown out all the ice to make a fresh batch, I took mine the same way. I didn't look at the label until after the first sip, so I wasn't shocked to see it was 9 years old and 100 proof. Surprising smooth for that much alcohol. However, as soon as the icemaker dropped its first load, I cubed up and enjoyed my second glass as I normally would. I'm pretty sure it will stay in my top 5.

Any suggestions for best bourbon, price is no object? I'll look for A.H. Hirsch, not here of course, but I make regular liquor runs over to Georgia. Others?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
+1 ^ for Blanton's....straight up...ahhhhhh.

Love collecting those stoppers too!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
What a great topic! Add to me to the list of Kentucky natives who favor Woodford Reserve. There are some other really great Bourbons mentioned in this thread, too; especially Pappy Van Winkle. It's not that easy to find (or afford), but it's worth it when you do.

Wild Turkey, Maker's Mark, Jim Beam, etc. are all too pedestrian to drink neat or on the rocks.

JD is a fine whisky in it's own right; but, it is not Bourbon and doesn't claim to be.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tomorrow is my last day on the job. All week long I've been taken out to lunch. This afternoon, I was presented with 750ML of Woodford Reserve. Rather than take it home tonight, it will remain in my office. Tomorrow afternoon I will open it and pour a slug for anyone who cares to share the bottle with me. I'm their boss, so who's going to fire any of us?

Thanks, guys.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 2:27 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Tomorrow is my last day on the job. All week long I've been taken out to lunch. This afternoon, I was presented with 750ML of Woodford Reserve. Rather than take it home tonight, it will remain in my office. Tomorrow afternoon I will open it and pour a slug for anyone who cares to share the bottle with me. I'm their boss, so who's going to fire any of us?

Thanks, guys.
I hope your last day is voluntary, but in any case that's really cool of you to do with your colleagues. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.