Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Cocktail Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
There was an article in my local paper today on stocking your bar for summer. I could tell by the prices that it wasn't written locally (I think it came from the Tribune News Service). Anyway, one of the items on the list was used in a drink called a Monkey Gland and nothing else. Do I need to be prepared for everyone ordering one at my next cookout?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Anyway, one of the items on the list was used in a drink called a Monkey Gland and nothing else. Do I need to be prepared for everyone ordering one at my next cookout?
Hahahaha!!! OK, I couldn't resist - I looked it up. It doesn't sound that bad, it just has a rather stupid name, and a bit of an odd history:

The Monkey Gland Cocktail was detailed in "The Savoy Cocktail Book" (1930) compiled by Harry Craddock, an American bartender who plied his trade at London's Savoy Hotel while the United States was enduring Prohibition. The original recipe calls for absinthe, an anise-flavored spirit illegal here since 1912. These days sweeter substitutes for absinthe, notably Absente, Herbsaint or Pernod, are used in recipes calling for this spirit. The cocktail's name stems from a late-19th century practice of transplanting ape testicles into elderly men to renew their sex drive. Russian surgeon Serge Voronoff eventually performed more than 1,000 such procedures at $5,000 each.

When the Monkey Gland was introduced to America in a 1934 book, "The Official Mixer's Manual," by New York bartender Patrick Gavin Duffy, Duffy inexplicably chose Benedictine, a honeyed herbal liqueur said to have been developed in 1510 by the Benedictine monk Dom Bernardo Vincelli, to use as an accent in the drink instead of absinthe. This resulted in two versions of the cocktail, both with merit but very different from each other, becoming recognized as being authentic. Thus, the English Monkey Gland takes an absinthe substitute, and the American version calls for Benedictine.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...IGGNA47V31.DTL

Monkey Gland Cocktail

INGREDIENTS:
2 ounces gin
1 ounce fresh orange juice
1 splash Benedictine, Absente or Pernod
1 splash grenadine

INSTRUCTIONS:
Fill a cocktail shaker two-thirds full of ice and add all of the ingredients. Shake for approximately 15 seconds and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:54 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I call this theblakefish:

1) 1 lowball glass
2) fill with ice
3) 3 jiggers of premium bourbon, preferable Maker's Mark, Buffalo Trace, etc.
4) fill the small remainder of the glass with Coca-Colafor sweetness

HA! My favorite!!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Abby
Hahahaha!!! OK, I couldn't resist - I looked it up. It doesn't sound that bad, it just has a rather stupid name, and a bit of an odd history: The cocktail's name stems from a late-19th century practice of transplanting ape testicles into elderly men to renew their sex drive
Whoa! How many drinks needed to ask for that operation?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cholula
Good point.

Properly, technically and historically, a martini was gin and a bit of bone-dry vermouth with either a twist of lemon or an olive.

It was only much more recently that vodka, the vanilla ice cream of liquor, became caught up in the fray.
Actually for the driest of dry martinis simply pour a large measure of gin into a glass with a single olive and just show them both the bottle of vermouth.
Then drink.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Properly, technically and historically, a martini was gin and a bit of bone-dry vermouth with either a twist of lemon or an olive.
Just for you, my dear, just for you:

Blue Martini Popsicles

1.5 cups water
1/4 cup sugar (or a bit less if you prefer less sweetness)
fresh lemon zest strips (from approx 1/2 lemon)

Simmer these together to dissolve sugar, and then cool.

3 - 6 tablespoons gin (Tanqueray is a good choice)
2 tablespoons vermouth (or to taste)
1 - 2 tablespoons blue Curaçao

Stir these into the cooled syrup and discard the zest. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze at least overnight.

Should be a very pretty shade of blue!

I'm not sure how well these will freeze if you use the max alcohol. I'll have to try it and see!
Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Thank you very much, Abby.

My own recipe...I'm certainly impressed.

My favorite gins have changed a bit over the years as my palate sharpened and my wallet expanded.

In my younger martini days, it was Seagram's Gin.

I later graduated to Tanqueray and Beefeater which I consider relatively equal in flavor.

But I do favor Beefeater somewhat, all things being equal.

I do like Bombay Sapphire but am not a fan of regular Bombay gin.

My favorite gin is Tanqueray 10 but it's only available in fifths, it's VERY pricey and I keep it for a special occasion.

Beefeater has recently introduced an ultra-premium brand called Beefeater Wet. It's priced in the same league as Tanqueray 10 but, bizarrely, it is infused with a pear flavor.

I recently tried a French gin called Citadelle which is infused with 19 botanicals but I was not overly impressed.

And maybe that's because I can't believe that France can make a decent gin.

Or Holland either.

England pretty much controls the premium gin production IMHO.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Thank you very much, Abby.

My own recipe...I'm certainly impressed.

My favorite gins have changed a bit over the years as my palate sharpened and my wallet expanded.

In my younger martini days, it was Seagram's Gin.

I later graduated to Tanqueray and Beefeater which I consider relatively equal in flavor.

But I do favor Beefeater somewhat, all things being equal.

I do like Bombay Sapphire but am not a fan of regular Bombay gin.

My favorite gin is Tanqueray 10 but it's only available in fifths, it's VERY pricey and I keep it for a special occasion.

Beefeater has recently introduced an ultra-premium brand called Beefeater Wet. It's priced in the same league as Tanqueray 10 but, bizarrely, it is infused with a pear flavor.

I recently tried a French gin called Citadelle which is infused with 19 botanicals but I was not overly impressed.

And maybe that's because I can't believe that France can make a decent gin.

Or Holland either.

England pretty much controls the premium gin production IMHO.
And you forgot to mention the greatest English gin of all - It's got to be Gordon's.
However, I also share a fondness for Cork Dry Gin which is a regular on the Aer Lingus LHR-DUB route.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

I should stop with these alcoholic popsicles, but this one would be such a lovely green colour - I might have to run out and buy some Midori.

Melony Popsicles

4 cups diced peeled honeydew melon
3 tbsps vodka
5 tbsp Midori (melon liqueur)
1 to 2 tbsps superfine sugar

Blend everything together. If you wish a clearer liquid, strain by allowing to drain through a sieve and/or cheesecloth. (You may wish to blend and strain just the melon, and then add the liquors and sugar.) Discard the solids and freeze in popsicle molds.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should stop with these alcoholic popsicles, but this one would be such a lovely green colour - ....
You've just reminded me of one of my mama's specialities, perfect for the summer.

Get a large water melon.
Stick in the end of a small funnel at the top of the melon
Every 6-12 hours top up the funnel with some vodka (be as patient as possible, the longer this stage takes the better the melon will taste)

Eventually the watermelon becomes saturated with vodka and you just slice and serve. (You can macerate some basil in the vodka and perhaps dissolve a little bit of sugar syrup too for a more 'cocktail' like experience.)

When I was younger I sometimes used to smuggle alcohol into music festivals by performing a similar operation using hypodermic needles and citrus fruit.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Reminds me of the time on an Iranair flight from LHR - JFK,
Faced with crossing the Atlantic without booze for the first time as this was a dry flight I resorted to the old trick of emptying out a litre water bottle and fill to brim with vodka.
The flight was fairly empty ( funnily enough it was during the time when Iraq invaded Iran ) but one of the stewards got suspicious when I called for my fifth OJ.
However,when I poured him a large screwdriver he sat down and we had a great old time crossing the pond.
Happy days.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
You've just reminded me of one of my mama's specialities, perfect for the summer.
You know, LapLap, your mama sounds like a LOT of fun! Watermelon vodka, the best sangria, etc etc. Does she fly? Can we get her to host a DO?

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Faced with crossing the Atlantic without booze for the first time as this was a dry flight I resorted to the old trick of emptying out a litre water bottle and fill to brim with vodka.
The flight was fairly empty ( funnily enough it was during the time when Iraq invaded Iran ) but one of the stewards got suspicious when I called for my fifth OJ.
However,when I poured him a large screwdriver he sat down and we had a great old time crossing the pond.
Happy days.
Hahahaha!!! I want you for my seat mate if I were ever on such a flight!

I'm making the Tequila Sunset pops tonight. Pics tomorrow, if they turn out OK.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

I'm making the Tequila Sunset pops tonight. Pics tomorrow, if they turn out OK.

Mmmm, they are looking pretty good after a night in the freezer. Too early in the day to actually eat one, though.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...o/IMGP3908.jpg

From this recipe. I used quite a bit of tequila in them. Recipe made 8 popsicles in my mold.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Normally, apricot brandy doesn't really appeal to me, but it sounds good in this one:

Golden Apricot Sour

1 tsp. superfine sugar
1 oz. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2 oz. apricot brandy
1 oz. apricot juice (fresh?)

Mix sugar and lemon juice until sugar dissolves.
Combine ingredients with ice cubes in a cocktail shaker.
Shake, strain into a sour or pony glass.
Garnish with a slice of apricot (run the used lemon piece over the apricot to keep its colour) and a maraschino cherry.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:48 pm

Programs: United GS, SPG Plat
I feel like such an amateur.

<3 Gin Gimlets!

Gin
Sweetened Lime Juice
Ice

Shake or stir and drink. Feel it dissolve all the impurities in your throat as it goes down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.