Best Fish and Chips in United States?

Subscribe
Quote: I am a Brit living in the US and often try the Fish and Chips at places I go in the US. So I feel qualified to pass an opinion. In general, NY, MA, FL, AS, WA are the best states that serve fish and chips. Some places in Florida in particular really are outstanding.
List, please (to simplify, just the outstanding)
Quote: cant beat this place for the money....and product/quality..

The Frying Scotsman <---click there.
^
Quote: ^
That does appear to indeed be the real deal.

Excellent stuff.

Getting hungry now...
Definitely many of Boston's restaurants serve great Haddock or Cod F&C. My favorite places though have to be: #1 Strega, #2 Oceannaire, #3 Smith & Wollensky. There is also a place outside of Boston in Spmerville (name escapes me), but had the best F&C with some special tartar sauce of a brandy base.
Quote: As a Brit living in the US I have to say it's all about the chips. I mean, you can't bugger the fish up - it needs to be done properly, but there are far, far more places around that can do great fish but then pay no attention to the chips.
Oh yes they can really mess up the fish! And really badly too Along the New England Shoreline there are no shortages of places that advertise that they were voted #1 Fish & Chips or #1 Clam Chowder etc etc in some sort of competition/local paper. Often one sniff (or taste if you're brave/stupid) will make it painfully obvious that this was a competition with only one entrant and held in the Chef's mom's own backyard

Sadly because the fish can get so messed up, the chips are overlooked.

Quote: The best guarantee, of course, is the golden moment when you find an actual chip shop, with fryers on display and you can see the crispy gorgeousness afoot before you purchase.
If you are ever up in Toronto, Penrose Fish n Chips on Mt Pleasant just south of Eglington has a proper fryer in full view of the windows. They close when they run out of fish (approx 6-7pm) and in July when they go visit family in the UK.
Quote: If you are ever up in Toronto, Penrose Fish n Chips on Mt Pleasant just south of Eglington has a proper fryer in full view of the windows. They close when they run out of fish (approx 6-7pm) and in July when they go visit family in the UK.
Victoria, BC has some very good fish and chips places - probably because some of the recipes haven't changed since 1950 . Two favourites are Haultain and Old British when I visit but I'm sure others exist.
It's an hour drive for me but Mac's Fish and Chip Shop in Santa Barbara is worth it.
Anyone know a good place in Philly or the immediate PA burbs?
Can't say that I am a fish & chips expert by any means, but I do really like it at the Park Slope Chip Shop in Brooklyn, NY.

Check it out at http://www.chipshopnyc.com/
I really liked the New England Fish & Chips at Todd English Pub in Vegas.
Tried a new place last weekend on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It was called Sting Wray's and it's in Rodanthe. Excellent, beer battered and fried Flounder and tasty fries. Plus, as it was Cinco De Mayo...$3 Corona!

Cook's Seafood. Menlo Park, California. Perfectly cooked, perfect ratio of fish to batter. Awesome!
Quote: Tried a new place last weekend on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It was called Sting Wray's and it's in Rodanthe. Excellent, beer battered and fried Flounder and tasty fries. Plus, as it was Cinco De Mayo...$3 Corona!

Very nice looking fish, but you were right to refer to the things underneath it as being fries, not chips.
Quote: Very nice looking fish, but you were right to refer to the things underneath it as being fries, not chips.
And the batter absorbed too much oil . . .
Most of the Americans like Fish and Chips. I found NJ the best for quality fish and chippy. They offer some cool stuff like chowders, fish tacos etc. Some offer burgers, mash steak pie and chips.

3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11