Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

The instant coffee thread

The instant coffee thread

Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by number_6
Taster's Choice. It is even available vanilla flavoured (but unsweetened). I think the instant vanilla coffee is quite an acceptable coffee alternative (and distracts from comparing it to real coffee).
I prefer the hazelnut.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
The only Elite coffee I tried was total crap. I hate instant coffee. I'd rather boil the water and use a french press. of course Tim Hortons or Starbucks also is good for coffee. Surprisingly I like both Tim Hortons (weak coffee) and Starbucks (strong). I only use 18% cream in my coffee. I find 10% (half/half) has a really yucky cheesy/fatty taste and smell.

Elite makes a lot of differnet kinds. The regular is awful, but the platinum is quite good, imho.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 3:04 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
Have just started using Nescafe Partners' Blend Fair Trade instant coffee - VERY nice!
Old Mar 26, 2007, 3:27 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Not a huge fan of instants, I tend to only use them when I'm somewhere remote, and even then only until I can fashion a filter from an old dishcloth

However, some of the Fairtrade ones aren't too bad: the UK Co-op organic one was reasonably palatable, and the Traidcraft one is decent. I don't touch any Nestlé products.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Nestle imports an instant Nescafe' from Mexico. It's in a globe shaped jar. It is fairly easy to buy in Texas. It is much better than the American market Nescafe' in the square jars. And costs less.

Nescafe' Dark Roast in Australia was good and was in nearly every hotel room I stayed in. Instant powdered coffee in a little tube shaped packet.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Nestle imports an instant Nescafe' from Mexico. It's in a globe shaped jar. It is fairly easy to buy in Texas. It is much better than the American market Nescafe' in the square jars. And costs less.

Nescafe' Dark Roast in Australia was good and was in nearly every hotel room I stayed in. Instant powdered coffee in a little tube shaped packet.
Ah! I had that while I was in Mexico. Sooo much better than American Nescafe, but nothing beats a french press.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Here in Central Asia, I've become addicted to MacCoffee.

When I'm in S. Korea, it's Maxim all the way.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:34 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
Well, I guess I should have said, "widely available in the U.S." I'd love to try it, but south and central Florida are a little far from the San Francisco city center.
Makes a good mileage/coffee run though!
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

mr. haniboo also likes the nestle cap colombe.

interesting how nestle make so many different varieites.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those Japanase brand ones are my favorite. ^
Old Mar 31, 2007, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
For decaf, its Taster's Choice.
Regular - its Folger's crystal
Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
I can't drink instant coffee. Not after tasting some of the best coffees the world has to offer.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 3:09 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by number_6
Nescafe Noir. Originally sold only in France, but Nestle has started to market it in various countries around the world (such as NZ); but not yet in the US. Maybe never, it is too strong for the US palate -- surprisingly good for an instant.
Is Nescafe Noir the same as Nescafe Black Gold (UK)? We're currently drinking this for everyday slurps at home and we quite like it.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 6:17 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Is Nescafe Noir the same as Nescafe Black Gold (UK)? We're currently drinking this for everyday slurps at home and we quite like it.
Similar, but not quite the same (Noir is a bit better, richer and a darker roast; I guess Nestle decided that the Brits couldn't handle it full-force). Both are much darker/richer/better than the US version. Very annoying that Nescafe has created a dozen different products, customized for each country, and you find one you like but then can't get that elsewhere. Sometimes with the same brand name.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I tell you what.. I just tried the Starbucks "Via" instant coffee sample I received a few days ago. And it's not bad. Tastes more like real coffee than instant, although not as strong as I would like. But for an instant coffee it is quite good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.