Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What and where were you eating when you contracted food poisoning?

What and where were you eating when you contracted food poisoning?

Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:27 pm

I was about 8-10 years old at a cub scout outing to the USS Yorktown. I remember having shrimp on the carrier's deck at some banquet, which ironically was before a tropical storm hit.

Woke up in the hotel that night (with no power b/c of the storm) and completely destroyed the bathroom. My dad couldn't believe that much stuff could come from a kid my size.

I haven't eaten shrimp since and I don't think my dad and I have shared a hotel room either since that incident.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver
I must have been 10 or 11, don't remember my exact age but I ate tortilla chips and canned salsa. I don't know if it was expired or what, but I still can not to this day eat canned salsa.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
It was something from a hotel breakfast buffet in Hyderabad, India last year. I learned the value of another expat colleague's advice regarding working in India: "Always keep extra underwear in your briefcase."
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I was at a catered event at an art gallery. I had the fish. Never have the fish at a catered event. I started to feel queasy, and thought I was coming down with a migraine. By the time I got home (maybe an hour later), I was breaking out in a cold sweat, and was very nauseated. I was sick for 36 hours.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'll never forget that deep dish sausage pizza from Gino's East in Chicago. My flight home the next day was quite the adventure...
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
For me it was a burger from San Antonio in Ibiza. Took 5 weeks to fully recover from this.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Way too many times to count.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

A modern Korean restuarant called Cafe wood in South Korea. Lightly poached egg on today's bapsang bibimbap. Koreans have a bad habit of leaving eggs out at room temperature. Runny yoke and me running to toilet.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:57 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Probably picked it up from the airport or lounge at BKK, but I came down with norovirus on a NRT-SFO flight, and further suffered on SFO-IAD.

Originally Posted by ysolde
I was at a catered event at an art gallery. I had the fish. Never have the fish at a catered event. I started to feel queasy, and thought I was coming down with a migraine. By the time I got home (maybe an hour later), I was breaking out in a cold sweat, and was very nauseated. I was sick for 36 hours.
Maybe scromboid poisoning?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by ysolde
I wonder if it was escolar http://blog.medellitin.com/2008/12/e...rous-fish.html
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:23 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Got some last night. I made a breakfast burrito for dinner using leftover steak, eggs and shredded cheese. I had some sour cream in my refrigerator that was about two weeks past it's expiry date but it seemed to pass the sniff test. I ended up having to visit the bathroom a few times during the night
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Fish and Chips at Slip 14 in Nantucket. I thought they had just cleaned the floor, or table with something particularly strong because all I could smell was an ammonia small. Guess what I learned that day?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:48 pm

Hotel in Mexico City about 17 or so years ago. Can't recall the name of the hotel but I think it was the Westin that might have been rebranded by now. You'd think I'd remember it vividly.

Bobette
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:02 am

Mid December 2013, the girlfriend had a relaxing Saturday. Started relatively early with spa treatments and lunch (which was actually her Christmas present from the previous year - just never found the time to go), followed by some Christmas shopping on Queen west in Toronto. This included stopping at a French bakery where we picked up a bunch of macaroons. Around this time the weather began to change and we received the first major snow dump of the season.

Originally we were supposed to go out for dinner with friends that evening but with the detoriating weather it was decided to postpone. Once at home we began rummaging for food in the freezer and found some chicken, crushed tomatoes and mozzarella. I quickly thawed the chicken and was able to whip together a pretty decent chicken parmigiana followed by macaroons for dessert.

Several hours later as we were finishing a movie on Netflix I started feeling a little unwell. Just a little nausea, nothing signifcant, but enough to make me feel a little uncomfortable. I of course tried my best to ignore it. It was about an hour later when the vomiting began. For the next 6 hours or so I was vomiting/retching every thirty minutes. It was like clockwork, I'd vomit, feel slightly better crawl back into bed only to be woken up 20 minutes later with the need to vomit up the small amount of bile that had accumulated in my stomach. The diarrhea also began at around midnight and like the vomiting was happening every 30 minutes or so.

I remained in bed till noon when I forced myself to take up residence in the couch where I sipped only small amounts of Gatorade and continued to insist that I was fine. The girlfriend was understandably concerned and wasn't convinced by my meek arguments. But I insisted and remained supine on the couch for several more hours. Because really, I'm a medical professional, I know my body and I can tell you I'm not dying. I even dismissed her observation that I hadn't been to the bathroom since 6 in the morning (it was now close to 6pm). I finally relented, but only after I tried to prove all was well by standing which resulted in a very near syncope.

When I was triaged at the local emerg I was still insistent that I was fine, at least till the triage nurse showed me my vitals. I was tachycardic at 136, and hypotensive at 86/50. Several hours and 4 litres of ringers lactate later I was dc'ed home.

To this day I still can't look at macaroons even though I know they were not the culprit. I presume the culprit was the chicken, but I'll never know for certain. I could have easily picked something up at the spa, or it could have been the spa lunch. Either way, it was an ordeal I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemies.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Spicy Korean pork sandwich from the deli down the street from my office. I gave this place a second chance after their fresh roasted turkey sandwich laid me up for a day about a year prior.

I knew something was off several hours after eating, as I still felt full and kept burping up my sandwich.

The next morning, I caught a flight SFO-YVR, and figured a few bloody marys and UA's omlette would set things straight. All went to hell about an hour into my connecting YVR-HKG flight. I spent 10+ hours on all fours in the loo or barfing into a plastic trash bag at my seat. I meekly apologized to my cabin mates as others were retching from the sound and odor. I was met at the gate with a wheelchair - cancelled my onward HKG-SIN flight, and spent the next 2 hours hooked up to an IV at the airport clinic for dehydration.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.