Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What and where were you eating when you contracted food poisoning?

What and where were you eating when you contracted food poisoning?

Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
Turkey burgers. I had improperly defrosted them at room temp, and apparently mishandled them also. About 10 hours later, "symptoms" started, then again three hours later, and then again after another 3 hours. Could hardly move the next day but fully recovered now, thankfully.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:41 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
That tub of Philadeplphia in the fridge which had been open about a month but looked, smelt and tasted fine. Should have thrown it out.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
At home after Mrs B had attended a haute cuisine cookery course and decided to experiment on me
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:14 pm

About four years ago at the Burger King that used to be in the LGA Delta Terminal. I had a fish sandwich for lunch while waiting for a colleague to arrive. I started feeling stomach rumblings on the ride over to Long Island and was very relieved to arrive at the hotel where I spent the rest of the day and first part of the night in the restroom. Fortunately it was a mild case and I felt much better the next day.

Last edited by makeUturn; Mar 7, 2015 at 7:34 am
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, UA GS, BA Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
I've eaten all kinds of sketchy street food and raw veggies in places I probably shouldn't have, but the only time I've gotten worse than a minor case of the runs was from a cheeseburger at a Chili's outside of Detroit.

Spent four days with it coming out both ends, got a call from the health department, and was eventually diagnosed with salmonella (though not until after I was already feeling better). Last time I ever ate at a Chili's.

Now, getting sick from drinking too much is a whole other story...
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Scifience
I've eaten all kinds of sketchy street food and raw veggies in places I probably shouldn't have, but the only time I've gotten worse than a minor case of the runs was from a cheeseburger at a Chili's outside of Detroit.

Spent four days with it coming out both ends, got a call from the health department, and was eventually diagnosed with salmonella (though not until after I was already feeling better). Last time I ever ate at a Chili's.

Now, getting sick from drinking too much is a whole other story...
That reminds me of an outbreak of amoebic dysentery a few years back north of Detroit. It was traced to a cook at a tex-mex place.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
2 or 3 years ago at a German restaurant in the Denver area. Had the pork schnitzel. Probably wasn't cooked all the way through. Haven't been back since.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Seafood at a restaurant on the pier in Marina Vallarta, Mexico.. was sick for almost the entire trip
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:52 am

Programs: UA MM, SPG Plat, SQ PPS
I eat street food here in Bangkok all the time with no problem. But the salami left in the refrigerator for a month with the plastic not quite sealed that looked and smelled fine, brought me to my knees last week, where I stayed for two days.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I don't know how I avoided getting sick. I opened a "fresh" box of chocolate creme cakes Monday. I unwrapped one and it smelled of chemicals. I ate it anyway. Tuesday night I unwrapped a second and it still smelled odd, but less so. I ate it anyway. Last night I unwrapped a third and one side was sprouting grey threadlike fuzz. The other two were probably befouled as well but I didn't look at all sides before popping in my mouth.

I emailed the manufacturer with relevant data. They blamed it on the retailer. The cakes are shipped in frozen and date labeled at the store. This was not dated, which may have caused them to remain on the shelf too long. I will receive a coupon for a free box to compensate me for my loss. BFD. I suppose I should be grateful that I did not become ill.

Interesting that the cake was deceptively moist and fresh feeling.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:31 am

Happened 4 years ago. I was in such a rush to eat that I had
not cooked my hamburger patty enough.

Laid me up for 2 days. Never forget it... lesson learned once.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
My luck isn't holding. Bought cooked shrimp from Winn Dixie seafood counter on Sunday. Ate 4 last night. The first 3 were questionable - texture too soft. The fourth had less cocktail sauce and I realized it was off. Woke up with leg cramps and passed out twice. Emptied my gut and stayed home from work.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Singapore.

Ice kachang off the street.

I thought I was going to die catching a flight back to Malaysia.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 1:38 pm

Bone marrow--not quite cooked.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Cheesecake Factory. Not once but four times. First time I wasn't sure it was the culprit. After the second time I caught on, and figured I'd order something different from the menu next time (first two times were burgers). Nope, did not help. Then on a work trip to another state, a coworker wanted to go there, so I went along, rationalizing that it was just my local restaurant that had bad food handling practices. Wrong again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.