Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What and where were you eating when you contracted food poisoning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What and where were you eating when you contracted food poisoning?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2008, 1:47 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Don't know what on earth I was thinking as I ate those raw vegetables as part of a thali dish in Kathmandu, but sure enough, I was ill for about four days afterwards.

It wasn't till I got back to Islamabad that I got some proper drugs and got it cleared up.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:35 am
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
had some dodgy steak at a catered function last night... felt it still sitting there this morning, progressively unwell over the day.

I rarely eat red meat so I am not familiar with time frames for feeling unwell, is this too soon, for it to be the culprit?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:55 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by Noelene
I rarely eat red meat so I am not familiar with time frames for feeling unwell, is this too soon, for it to be the culprit?
Not too soon, but it could have been anything at the table.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I think I need to stop eating chicken or have some sort of bug/issue that if there is any hint of bacteria left, I end up miserable. I've had it twice this year...

Had food poisoning on a Saturday in January/February 2011, after reheating leftover chicken that I'd ordered as take-out. Ate the chicken for a late lunch, around 2 PM, and two hours later, while working at my part-time job, felt horrible. All of the standard problems, including needing to use a garbage can and pondering why we hadn't yet installed a seat belt on the toilet at the same time!

Of course, Mr. Kipper was out of town at that time. While it was probably much better for him, about 1 AM, I seriously pondered calling 911 to get me to the hospital, followed by my father, to ask him to drive the 3 hours to our house, and that once he was there and had taken care of the dogs, he could find me at the hospital.

We had nothing but Diet Coke and Sprite Zero as far as liquid--no Gatorade, ginger ale, or anything that might have helped. We also did not have bananas or popsicles. On Sunday morning, after I lost 7 pounds in 1 day, a friend took pity on me and stopped by to drop off Gatorade, ginger ale, bananas, and popsicles.

The second time this year was last night. Mr. Kipper and I both ate boneless buffalo wings. His hit about 3 AM, mine about 5 AM. We're guessing it's that, because we've not both consumed the same items other than that since Monday.

One bathroom in the house--two people with food poisoning... Our next house will have at least 2 bathrooms!!!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:39 am

oh jeez, this reminds me of when i had a really bad case of food poisoning on my way to phuket. i was on the toilet for 2 days straight at the hotel when i wasn't asleep, not exactly the best way to enjoy the andaman sea. i couldn't figure out whether it was from the chicken innards i ate from the chicken and rice plate or the rice and sushi roll on the flight over. i lost about 8-10 pounds.

damn andrew zimmern for making me a more adventurous eater
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
One bite of fresh bruschetta at a high-end Italian restaurant in New Delhi, and I knew within an hour I was in serious trouble. Shot through me like a Chinese maglev train and I kept purging to the point of serious dehydration. I had been trying so hard to avoid anything that wasn't packaged or cooked, but I let my guard down for a second and paid for days. My doctor put me on Cipra when I got back to the States.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:09 pm

Amoebic Dysentery in Vietnam. I told the story to Ray, a friend who served in the Red Ball Express in WW-II. Yes, THAT Red Ball express!

His story was of being trapped for weeks behind German lines with nothing to eat but cold Spam. (A cooking fire would have attracted unwanted attention from Luftwaffe.)

Undigested cold grease hardly even slowed down passing through their colons.

Lesson: Don't swap war stories with WW-II vets. They always win!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I caught an awful case last year. I'd made chicken thighs cooked in a skillet with canola oil and some garlic fried potatoes. Strangely, my girlfriend at the time ate the same meal and she was fine. I think I might have undercooked one of my pieces or just gotten unlucky. I did get to learn just how many times you could run to the bathroom in an hour and how Law & Order marathons could be lifesavers when you were running a fever and contemplating suicide rather than another round with the toilet
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:26 pm

Ate some rainbow colored ice cream from a mall near Alexandria, Maryland. I was 16 and anything colorful seemed like a good idea. Plus, it was ice cream. It was a whole day of vomiting, every half hour. Even just thinking about it makes me queasy.

Also, the night before a flight to Seattle, had Chinese food in some late night restaurant in Chinatown in Toronto. Didn't feel as bad as I did after the ice cream and it was over by the morning, but having a flight after a crappy night like that the next day is not fun.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: Platinum
Panchero's "Home of the Two Pound Burrito", in East Lansing, Michigan. Things were coming out both ends all night. Had a major exam in the morning, barely passed it by a few points.

You would have occasional floor shows with drunken undergrads trying to fight while waiting for their food.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
15 years ago or so, I was at SFO, about to board a plane to BOS for work. I grabbed a cream danish from one of the stores at the airport, wolfed it down, then boarded the plane. In hindsight, I recalled at the time that the danish did taste a bit off. a couple of hours into the flight, it went to hell. I spent the entire rest of that flight in misery in the bathroom. Knocks on the door were met with a groan and a "please use the other restroom".

I was the last one off the plane, managed to take a taxi to the hotel, and was out of commission for a couple of days. Didn't even try to make it to my meetings. I've never eaten an airport danish again.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I don't believe it was caused by the food, but I woke up around 6am (on my birthday, while staying at friend's house to top it off) to some of the most violent norovirus symptoms. Unfortunately, I was visiting Pittsburgh and had just eaten a Primanti's sandwich the night before. I'm not sure if I'll be ready to go back there for a long time, even though I'm pretty sure it wasn't the food (friends had the same thing and were fine and my husband caught it about 12 hours later and he hadn't eaten with us). Lost 5lbs overnight (which all came back once I could eat again).

The only other time I had it, I had eaten at one of those Charley's grilled sandwich places in IAH on my way back to SFO. That also hit me in the middle of the night (with the added bonus of somehow having fallen asleep with the TV on and woke up to the Cosby show blaring, knowing I had about 3 seconds to run to the bathroom).

Both were some of the sickest I've ever been. The second mention I was practically hallucinating from fever. Ex wanted to take me to the hospital but I wasn't about to be away from a bathroom long enough. I was really weak for weeks after that time.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by horse glasses
I don't believe it was caused by the food, but I woke up around 6am (on my birthday, while staying at friend's house to top it off) to some of the most violent norovirus symptoms. Unfortunately, I was visiting Pittsburgh and had just eaten a Primanti's sandwich the night before. I'm not sure if I'll be ready to go back there for a long time, even though I'm pretty sure it wasn't the food (friends had the same thing and were fine and my husband caught it about 12 hours later and he hadn't eaten with us). Lost 5lbs overnight (which all came back once I could eat again).

The only other time I had it, I had eaten at one of those Charley's grilled sandwich places in IAH on my way back to SFO. That also hit me in the middle of the night (with the added bonus of somehow having fallen asleep with the TV on and woke up to the Cosby show blaring, knowing I had about 3 seconds to run to the bathroom).

Both were some of the sickest I've ever been. The second mention I was practically hallucinating from fever. Ex wanted to take me to the hospital but I wasn't about to be away from a bathroom long enough. I was really weak for weeks after that time.
The last time I had food poisoning, Mr. Kipper was out of town, and I gave serious consideration to calling my parents to ask them to drive the 3-1/2 hours out here, to take care of the dogs, and calling 911 to go to the hospital. The only thing that stopped me was that I didn't want to be away from a bathroom long enough to get to the hospital and didn't want to have to deal with a public bathroom at the hospital.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I shouldn't be reading this thread while my stomach is churning. Don't know if I should be putting up or running to the toilet.

I think the culprit…. oyster.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Chicken Chimichangas in Joplin, Missouri. Started feeling sick in the movie theater after dinner, ended up being admitted to the hospital. Worst Christmas break ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.