Hot Chocolate!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Chocolate!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Christian Constant == 6, Rue Assas 75006 Paris Metro: St. Placide

Locally, Frans in Seattle.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:10 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I can remember the first time I had "real" hot chocolate. Mrs Sweet Willie and I walking the streets of Monaco, stopped in so she could have a coffee, and out of the corner of my eye I see this thick & lucious looking hot chocolate swirling about in this automatic stirring machine. WOW !!! simply incredible.
Wish I could recall the name of the place.

Thanks to all who have listed places to try, I've taken them down !!^
Old Mar 11, 2009, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by EricH
Another vote for Angelina. It's completely decadent.
+1
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
Cafe Weggen in Zurich. My vote for tops among the city's multiple excellent hot chocolate choices.
homepage (german)

but after a long cold skiing day, nothing beats the Sprüngli hot chocolate that Gisela prepares at our Chalet there.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:26 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Angelina on Rue Rivoli in Paris
+1 Marvelous.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Ceteris Paribus

There's a cafeteria in Mexico City Zocalo district that also serves great Hot Chocolate with Churros, but I forget the name.
Cafe Morro. I think it's on Lazaro Cardenas a few blocks south of Bellas Artes.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 5:53 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by jfe
Buy yourself some chocolate abuelita or Ibarra. Prepare it as per the package instructions, but add a pinch of cayenne pepper and some vanilla extract.

Absolutely delicious
Si, delicioso, but you have to chant "bate bate chocolate" as you spin the molinillo between your palms to mix the chocolate as it melts into the milk.

The hot chocolate at Les Deux Magots in Paris is wonderful. I would like to try Angelina's on my next trip.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:29 pm

I second Angelina at Rue de Rivoli in Paris. Excellent. Order a Montblanc with it. That should be the calorie intake for a grown man for one day. Very rich!

Otherwise, I have the prejudice that France, Switzerland, Spain, Mexico and Holland probably are the countries where you can get the best hot chocolate. It strikes me as hard to believe that the best hot chocolate could be had in the USA. It's just not culturally anchored here. Sorry.

Till
Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:49 am

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
Si, delicioso, but you have to chant "bate bate chocolate" as you spin the molinillo between your palms to mix the chocolate as it melts into the milk.

The hot chocolate at Les Deux Magots in Paris is wonderful. I would like to try Angelina's on my next trip.
If you're going to Angelina I would recommend you go on the day the Louvre is closed (Mondays I believe?).

Lots of tourists pair a visit to Angelina with their visit to the Louvre since they're so close (Carousel entrance to Louvre is just across the street and to the left). Last trip (December) we went the day the Louvre was closed and it was much quieter than other days we'd been there.

Also, if you just want chocolat ask for the Salon du The, don't wait for a table in the back. We often see folks waiting for a table even through the Salon (the small tables in the front) is empty!
Old Mar 12, 2009, 2:31 pm

Some of the best hot chocolate that we have had was in Bayonne France.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by tfar
I second Angelina at Rue de Rivoli in Paris. Excellent. Order a Montblanc with it. That should be the calorie intake for a grown man for one day. Very rich!

Otherwise, I have the prejudice that France, Switzerland, Spain, Mexico and Holland probably are the countries where you can get the best hot chocolate. It strikes me as hard to believe that the best hot chocolate could be had in the USA. It's just not culturally anchored here. Sorry.

Till

I try to always have a hot chocolate at La Maison du Chocolat in NY. I guess you could count that as French and American. Whatever, it lifts my spirits. I prefer it to Angelina's, in fact, and since I am in NY about ten times for every one trip to Paris, this is lucky for me!

Had the wonderful thick Spanish hot chocolate last week in London, on Portobello road at Garcia's. Somehow hot chocolate and London weather, especially doing an outdoor activity like Portobello Road, go together well.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 9:09 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast
If you're going to Angelina I would recommend you go on the day the Louvre is closed (Mondays I believe?).

Lots of tourists pair a visit to Angelina with their visit to the Louvre since they're so close (Carousel entrance to Louvre is just across the street and to the left). Last trip (December) we went the day the Louvre was closed and it was much quieter than other days we'd been there.

Also, if you just want chocolat ask for the Salon du The, don't wait for a table in the back. We often see folks waiting for a table even through the Salon (the small tables in the front) is empty!
Thanks for this info, ElkeNorEast, I'll keep it in mind for my next trip. Hopefully the weather will be conducive to sipping hot chocolate.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:20 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hertz #1 Gold, AMEX Plat, Avis CHM, IHG Plat RA
I nominate Jacques Torres in Brooklyn. The jalapeno hot chocolate.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Platunum
In Paris, another vote for Angelina.
A Mont Blanc along with it??? That's overload for moi!
I usually buy the Mont Blanc on the way out at the bakery counter to have later.

At Cocoa et Chocolat on rue Buci is also good for a quickie. It's a chocolate shop, but they have a couple of seats.

In New York, the Union Square Cafe hot chocolate is excellent and they make their own marshmallows.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hertz #1 Gold, AMEX Plat, Avis CHM, IHG Plat RA
Also, when in NYC, visit La Lanterna di Vittorio near W. 4th St. Their hot chocolate is served more bitter than sweet style with molten mini marshmallows on top. Delicious!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.