Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tessellae Carignan Vieilles Vignes, 2012. From the Roussillon region. Maybe a tad over $12, but probably can be found near you for less than $15.

The old-vine GSM (grenache, syrah and mourvedre) from Tessellae is also terrific, at a similar price point. Very intense fruit, but with structure to accompany it. Tremendous value.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
$30 brings you a fairly long way with wines from Argentina given the current ForEx situation.....

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
My idea of a "good, inexpensive, everyday" wine is a $30 cabernet I can drink with my peanut butter sandwich. (And yeah, I've done that many times for dinner.)
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
$30 brings you a fairly long way with wines from Argentina given the current ForEx situation.....
I think that price point is grist for a whole 'nother thread. For $30, in many appellations, including Argentina, Portugal, Chile, and some others, That's a level where you start getting into some pretty small lot, artisanally made wines, which just about nothing at the sub $12 price level is.

In Argentina, some producers I'd be looking at around that price would be Gimenez Riili, Mendel, and Altocedro, although these will mostly be Malbec-centric Boprdeaux-style blends, as opposed to the Cabernet-centric or Merlot-centric wines that predominate in Bordeaux and California
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Opened a 2014 Gascon Malbec (purplish label) last night and it is very good. Cost was $14 but with the 25% off sale (have to buy 6 bottles) the price was only $10.50.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Sipping a 2013 Dreaming Tree Cab. tonight. Under $12 with Albertson's 25% off sale. Very drinkable & smooth.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 26, 2016 at 2:56 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by philemer
Opened a 2014 Gascon Malbec (purplish label) last night and it is very good. Cost was $14 but with the 25% off sale (have to buy 6 bottles) the price was only $10.50.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
I've had the Gascon Malbec before & liked it. I can usually catch it on sale.

Another under $12 is Penfold's Koonunga Hill Shiraz.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Oak Ridge Zinfandel Lodi AV

I can definitely recommend 2013 Oak Ridge Zinfandel Lodi AV. With a 20% off coupon from Total Wine, it came to $11.33 a bottle.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, Hilton Diamond, ICH Platinum
Time to wake up an old but useful thread. I found 2 sister wines of mass produced at my Sam's Club in Atlanta and both were excellent. Both were under $10 for the record.

Menage a Trois "Silk"
Apothic "Dark" Limited Release
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:47 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Just added a new label to this segment of wines to my Portfolio.

RJ Pasion 4 Malbec, Mendoza

Two further additions in this price segment.....

La Azul Malbec
Alma-Ty Malbec

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 26, 2016 at 2:56 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I don't know much about wine, but my friend had some wine while on vacation in the Caribbean and has tasked me on finding it. I have tried searching for it on Google, but all of the results indicate that this wine can only be found in Europe, particularly France. I know that it's not entirely accurate as she had it in the Caribbean, and I found it when I was down that way earlier this year (albeit the shelf was empty with just the price tag there). If anyone has any ideas on how/where I can get ahold of some, it would be greatly appreciated!

The wine I'm looking for is a fairly cheap dessert wine from Kressmann Reserve. The bottle says: Kressmann Grande Reserve - Bordeaux - Medium Sweet Moelleux - 2014

Kressmann Reserve's website indicates that the brand may be carried in the US, but it does not have any sort of locator. All of the wine and liquor stores around me do not have it.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
I had a Bogle Merlot and a Cab. that were pretty decent for $10 each.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Currently I'm a big fan of Cocobon - it's a red blend found at Trader Joe's for $6.99. Total Wine also carries it but at a higher price.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:19 pm

Menange e trois is pretty good and very cheap. It is at costco.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Drinking Apothic Inferno tonight which is a red that was finished in whiskey barrels.

Very interesting - the sweetness from the whiskey barrels is very evident which is good or bad depending on your preferences.

Been a big fan of Dark Horse (Cab, Zin, Pinot Noir, and Rose) recently as a really good under $10 value.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Pelee Island Cabernet Franc. Ontario/Lake Erie north shore winery, so probably not widely available, but a really good wine for $9.99 (here in the Detroit area anyway) IMO.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Rodney Strong cab. Been reliably available at Costco in the $12-13 range for at least the past year if not longer.

I sometimes buy a whole case at a time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.