Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL Gold, IHG Plat
I just had a De Loach Pinot Noir 2014 that was quite nice and flavorful without a tannic bite, and I think it runs $10-12.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
(Sorry about that potentially offensive analogy, but it's one of my all-time favorite sitcom lines.)
But are you still master of your domain?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
But are you still master of your domain?
King of the Castle.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:08 pm

Not sure if I've posted this but I really like Pillar Box Red (not a box). Can be had at Costco for $8.95 which I feel is a very good value.

Costco also has Oyster Bay Pinot Noir for $9.95 I believe.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Trader Joe's Onx Moon N.V. red blemd - selling for $6.99 a bottle.
I just had the opportunity to try this red blend which is currently being highlighted in the most recent flyer from Trader Joe's:

The label doesn't tell much about the wine, other than that it's mostly Zinfandel, with some Syrah and Merlot in the blend as well, and it's made by a winery in Manteca. Suffice it to say that it's the nicest $7 red wine I've tasted in a long time. Very much a good, but soft Zinfandel, probably blended from Paso Robles and Lodi grapes. This wine is far more concentrated than most red wines at this price, but has no tannins whatsoever, so it's a near term drinker and not an ager. Nice fruit with cherry and blackberry notes, good depth, and no sign of any off tastes at tall - something I find rare at this price point. Very pleasant stuff, nicely packaged as well, and certainly would be fair value at $12-17 retail, and $25-30 on a Restaurant wine list.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
For just a few dollars more, I've recently had some outstanding 2009 Medoc at about $15/bottle.

Here's a magnum the wife and I killed alongside a plate of shish kabobs:
http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1209795
90 minutes in a decanter and it was good to go.

Here's another we had the other night with grilled ribeyes:
http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1180488
Again, a little time in a decanter.

Last edited by work2fly; Oct 9, 2015 at 8:42 pm
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:15 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
No tannins in a red wine.......?

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
Trader Joe's Onx Moon N.V. red blemd - selling for $6.99 a bottle.
I just had the opportunity to try this red blend which is currently being highlighted in the most recent flyer from Trader Joe's:

The label doesn't tell much about the wine, other than that it's mostly Zinfandel, with some Syrah and Merlot in the blend as well, and it's made by a winery in Manteca. Suffice it to say that it's the nicest $7 red wine I've tasted in a long time. Very much a good, but soft Zinfandel, probably blended from Paso Robles and Lodi grapes. This wine is far more concentrated than most red wines at this price, but has no tannins whatsoever, so it's a near term drinker and not an ager. Nice fruit with cherry and blackberry notes, good depth, and no sign of any off tastes at tall - something I find rare at this price point. Very pleasant stuff, nicely packaged as well, and certainly would be fair value at $12-17 retail, and $25-30 on a Restaurant wine list.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
No tannins in a red wine.......?

None that were noticeable: It's clearly meant for near term drinking.

You'd probably be surprised at how many folks want to buy a wine, and drink it that very same night, and not get any astringency from tannin in the wine. And at this price point, most tannins that I come across are of the unpleasant variety. This had none of those.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
decant?

Can all red wines be improved by spending a hour or two in a decanter? I've never used one but would like to hear from the experts. Is my $10 Columbia Crest Merlot going to taste better if it is decanted?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by philemer
Can all red wines be improved by spending a hour or two in a decanter? I've never used one but would like to hear from the experts. Is my $10 Columbia Crest Merlot going to taste better if it is decanted?
Not all.... but young/inexpensive wines have nothing to lose and quite a bit to gain by decanting. Suggest you experiment and do what works best for you.... in my book, Decanting is a good bet to make as you don't have to purchase an expensive decanter.... any jar/jug that is clean and has no odors will do the trick.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:52 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
... in my book, Decanting is a good bet to make as you don't have to purchase an expensive decanter.... any jar/jug that is clean and has no odors will do the trick.
^^. So I can get rid of that heavy impossible to clean or pour from decanter with the 12" wide bottom which supposedly exposes more of the wine to air?

On a similar note, do those aerator thingies do any good? Any better than holding your hand over the glass and shaking well? Or should one just move on and drink the stuff?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I always use a decanter if I want to soften the tannins of a wine. Especially generally tannic wines like cabs, bordeaux and Rhones. Also, decanting is useful if it's an older wine with sediment

As for the aerator, you go straight from 'tight' to 'open' in an instant so if it's a cheap, young wine, sure, but with something more special, I prefer to taste the slow evolution that only decanting can provide.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Hahn Merlot. My favorite under $12.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Madone59
Hahn Merlot. My favorite under $12.
try their syrah
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:55 pm

Miras Jovem Malbec, Patagonia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.