Reload this Page >

Best Pizza Places in the USA [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Pizza Places in the USA [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:34 am

I'll throw in another vote for Gino's East of Chicago.

dillard8 - what do you usually get at Filippi's? It's walking distance from my place, and I almost ate there for the first time on Saturday.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Now you finally found something that isn't better in Hawai'i! Otherwise......
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: AA
I was going to suggest Filippi's in San Diego, but I see that someone beat me to it. Dillard, have you been to the Jamul branch? I think Filippi's best pizza is there. I have eaten a Jamul pizza with pepperoni layered eight slices deep.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by dismal_scientist
dillard8 - what do you usually get at Filippi's? It's walking distance from my place, and I almost ate there for the first time on Saturday.

I always get pizza - pepperoni and mushroom is my favorite. My parents like "the works," and my dad also really likes their sub sandwiches, but I can't remember which one - meatball, maybe?
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Jocelyn P
I was going to suggest Filippi's in San Diego, but I see that someone beat me to it. Dillard, have you been to the Jamul branch? I think Filippi's best pizza is there. I have eaten a Jamul pizza with pepperoni layered eight slices deep.
Hmm,I have not eaten at the Jamul branch. I've tried the Mission Gorge one and one down near the border (maybe Chula Vista?), and was not that impressed - I didn't think the pizza was as good and I really like the ambiance of the original.

All this talk about Filippis is making me hungry...luckily I'll be in SAN this weekend and can head straight there from the airport on Friday...
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:05 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, OnePass, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards, Hertz Gold
Mack and Manco's in Ocean City, NJ is the best there is.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by dillard8
Hmm,I have not eaten at the Jamul branch. I've tried the Mission Gorge one and one down near the border (maybe Chula Vista?), and was not that impressed - I didn't think the pizza was as good and I really like the ambiance of the original.

All this talk about Filippis is making me hungry...luckily I'll be in SAN this weekend and can head straight there from the airport on Friday...
Filippi's is alright.. I did like it.

best pizza in San Diego County is Pizza Port in Solana Beach/Carlsbad (2 locations, as well as one in San Clemente).

Not only do they microbrew their own beers, the pizza is the best I've ever had. It's seriously my favorite pizza on earth.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott
Frank Pepe Clam pizza is like dying and goig to heaven

After spending a year outside Chicago and eating multiple times at Gino's East/Lou Malnati's/Giordano's/Rosati's, have to say Gino's sausage patty pizza is favorite deep dish pizza. Having a solid round patty of sausage covering the whole pizza is genius, though afterwards I always suffer having eaten the second slice, which is totally unnecessary.

I've had pizza in NY and other places and nothing that made an impression.

But none those Chicago pizza places and any other place I've been to compared to eating a Frank Pepe's white clam pizza. The crust is light and thin, burned on the edges from being in a really hot brick oven. When you taste the clam, you can close your eyes and dream of the ocean. I think they shuck fresh clam in the back. And not little itty bitty pieces of clam, chunks and hunks of the stuff with fresh garlic. I really don't remember the other pizzas, I just eat them to insure I don't overdue the clam and get tired of it. Also, I usually get a couple white clams to go after eating, it makes up the long wait to get into the place.

There are downsides to Franks, long wait outside (they have no indoor space for waiting. Worst as 2 1/2 hours in off and on rain), so so service, expensive and small sodas, they charge for extra romano cheese (but the stuff is really good, so not a big complaint). But these annoyances are nothing when you after you take a bite.

Man, I think I am driving New Haven on friday for clam pizza.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
Thumbs up Pizza Port

Originally Posted by civicmon
Filippi's is alright.. I did like it.

best pizza in San Diego County is Pizza Port in Solana Beach/Carlsbad (2 locations, as well as one in San Clemente).

Not only do they microbrew their own beers, the pizza is the best I've ever had. It's seriously my favorite pizza on earth.

I've been to the Pizza Port in San Clemente just south of the 5 Fwy. Pizza Port has some of the best pizza I've tasted in California. They bake the pizza just to the point where the pepperoni starts to singe a bit. I like it that way with the partially crispy pepperoni! ^

Their lunch special with slice of pizza and salad is great! The salad is huge and probably feeds 3 people!

Steve
Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Mateo4321
Zachary's pizza is awesome.

When I lived in Berkeley, I subsided off the stuff
I'm about a mile from both Zachary's and Cheese Board. I'll take Zachary's any day. These questions are so hopelessly subjective.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:07 pm

I went to Cal. Go Bears!

I love Blondies. It's not authentic anything but it's tasty and I always get nice and full.

Zachary's is awesome for a great sit down pizza.

Fat slice is classic.

West Coast Pizza is decent if you're lazy and want some cheezy sticks.

Greg's was good but they went under.

I can't stand Cheeseboard. I don't like their thin pizza and I don't get the people who eat their pizza on the median in the middle of the street. If it came down to it, I'd have the DC pizza before Cheeseboard. Yeah, you Bears know what I'm talking about.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:24 pm

I like my Giordano's and Papa Johns.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 4:47 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Another Cal Alum here. Zachary's is great, though some think they've gone a bit downhill since they changed ownership. My brother, another Cal alum, went to Chicago not long ago, visited the famous pizza joints there, and still prefers Zachary's. I keep meaning to go by the Cheeseboard Collective, but never make it down there.

The only thing I can say about Fat Slice and Blondies is that they were cheap and filling.

Some "pizza expert" from New York came by to grade west coast pizza in the Bay Area last spring. There was an article in the Chronicle about it:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...sn=001&sc=1000
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Red face Italian style....

When I spent time in Italy, I had a buddy with a huge house on a vinyard with a brick fire oven in the kitchen. His mom (as (stereo)typical as an Italian "mama" can get) made us pizza and pasta several times. It was by far the best pizza I've ever had in my life. Not a lot of cheese or greasy meats, but some fresh italian sausage and a really tangy tomato sauce. Great mushrooms and bell peppers (sweet!).
To me, that's true italian pizza (of course to each his own!). I'm always craving that kind of pizza!

Now on to the topic (where in the USA?): The closest thing to that Italian essence that I've tasted in the USA is Pizzaria Pagliacci in Seattle, WA. YUM! When I get "home" to the Pacific Northwest from Seoul, I often go straight from the airport to Pagliacci on lower Queen Anne.

At that moment, all is right with the world.

I'm convinced that a lot of heavy cheese and meats on pizza is an American thing. All over Italy I've been, and I never had a thick heavy cheesy pizza with a ton of meat. They are always quite "lite"...... ^
Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:03 pm

Programs: NW Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Pizzeria Regina, Boston North End, not the sometimes inconsistent location at Faneuil Hall. For me, this is the pizza by which all others are judged.

It can be a little on the oily side, but sooooo good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.