Reload this Page >

The consolidated "Pho" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2013, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Doc Savage
Put down your favourite Pho places here!

United States

Arizona
Scottsdale - Saigon Nites http://www.saigonnites.com/ [CMK10]

California
Bakersfield - Pho Hut http://www.yelp.com/biz/pho-hut-bakersfield [Doc Savage]
Eureka - Pho Thien Long http://pho-thien-long.com/ [Doc Savage]
Fresno - Pho Phuong Nine [Doc Savage]
Irvine - Pho Bac Co [Mrjay]
Long Beach - Pho Hong Phat [SuperDudley]
Los Altos - Pho Vi Hoa http://www.phovihoa.com/[Doc Savage]
Milpitas - Pho Saigon Noodle House Yelp site [Doc Savage]
Modesto - Pho Bac Noodle Palace [Doc Savage]
Pamona - Pho Ha [ROCruiser]
San Diego - Tak Ky Mi Gia [R&R]
San Francisco - Aux Delices [Alpha]
San Francisco - PPQ [rjque]
San Francisco - Turtle Tower Restaurant [exc3ll]
San Francisco - Quan Viet on Ocean [imm2b]
San Francisco - Mangosteen in Tenderloin[imm2b]
San Francisco - Mong Thu in Tenderloin[imm2b]
San Jose - Pho My 5499 Snell Ave [Doc Savage]
San Jose - Pho Viet http://www.pho-viet.com/ [Doc Savage]
San Jose - Pho Y #1 [imm2b]

Colorado
Denver - Pho 95 [Daytona]
Denver - Pho Saigon [pseudoswede]

District of Columbia
Washington - Pho Viet link [platbrownguy]

Florida
Orlando - Pho Vinh [TravelMutt]
St. Petersburg - Ha Long Bay [imm2b]

Georgia
Atlanta - Pho Viet, 4300 Buford Hwy (but not chateau saigon, which is in the same shopping center, or pho dai loi in the little saigon strip mall) [crabbing]

Hawaii
Honolulu - Phở My Lien [Fredd]

Illinois
Chicago - Simply It [ChicagoDave]
Chicago - Tank Noodle [balima]
Des Planes/ORD - Dung Gia [aschuett]

Louisiana
New Orleans (east) - Dong Phuong http://dpbanhmi.com/DP_Bakery/Restaurant.html [oopsz]
New Orleans (westbank) - Tan Dinh [oopsz]

Maryland
Rockville - Pho 75 [crabbing]
Shady Grove - Pho Nam - love their broth, have it regularly [arjunrc]

Michigan
Madison Heights - Pho Hang [skchin]

Minnesota
Minneapolis - Quan Deli [Bear4Asian]

Missouri
St. Louis - Mai Lee Restaurant [Hakluyt]

New York
New York - Bao Noodles [CMK10]
New York - Obao (53rd between 2-3 Aves) [gfunkdave]

Pennsylvania
Philadelphia - Pho Ha (Washington Ave, South Philadelphia) [9Benua]

Virginia
Falls Church - Pho 88 http://pho88va.com [acker]
Herndon - Pho 75 [arlingtonflyer]
Herndon - Pho 99 [arlingtonflyer]

Washington
Lynnwood/Edmonds - Pho.com [BearX220]

Vietnam

Hanoi
Pho Thin - 13 Lň Đúc [imm2b]
Pho Thin - 2E Quang Trung accross from Hoan Kiem Lake [imm2b]

HCM City
Pho Hoa Pasteur - 260C Pasteur Street [imm2b]
Print Wikipost

The consolidated "Pho" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:15 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Chicago's Little Vietnam

on Argyle (El Red Line stops @ Argyle), between Broadway & Sheridan. Take your pick. ^

--
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:58 am
Suspended

It's tasty stuff. I recommend guy cun (spelling) as an appetizer. The only issue is that it's not real nutritious. I used to love Pho (pronounced Fu not Foo), but don't get it anymore. Rice noodles have a high glycemic index, the soup is loaded with sodium and there's not much vegetables to it. I do eat it as an occasional lunch treat though. DEFINITELY go for the raw meat. You put it in the soup and it cooks in there. It isn't raw when you eat it. Just very tender.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 2:21 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Pho Ca Dao in San Diego on Mira Mesa is the best Pho place I've tried in San Diego. Their egg rolls are the best--I always share a plate of egg rolls with my pho.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
I think I've also eaten at every pho restaurant in Honolulu (I lived there for four years) and now that I'm back in the DC area I'm working my way through Northern Virginia.

As for the pho hints, I have some thoughts:

(1) It's not always ordered by number. While there are pre-selected combinations in most every restaurant usually you can pick your own combination. My favorite is tai gau (eye of round and fat brisket) with extra meatballs (bo vien, usually served without other meats but I like them in combination). I'm almost ALWAYS asked if I really want the fat brisket.

(3) The standard greens are bean sprouts, basil leaves, jalapenos and lime. I''ve NEVER been served mint leaves. Occasionally they also include a kind of leaf with serrated edges - the best name anyone's told me is "saw leaf herb."

(4) I've been told that the proper way to use the hoisin and sriracha sauce is to put them into the little extra dish that's on the table and dip pieces of meat into the combination. If the broth is good, putting them directly into the broth will be overpowering and unnecessary. I'm fond of restaurants that have another condiment or two on the table - fish sauce (I usually use a little of this if they have it), chili in oil (I'll use a little of this too if the broth is unspectacular), white pepper, or fresh ground chili sauce (I usually avoid this - the taste is too raw for me).

Finally an aside concerning broth - I'm convinced the anise flavor usually comes from a cube of "pho helper" rather than any actual spices. My current favorite pho restaurant has NO anise flavor to the broth - but it's clearly homemade, it tastes like a big bowl of roast beef. Yum.

Originally Posted by mbstone
I have become quite partial to Pho, the Vietnamese beef broth-with-beef-and-noodles and the restaurants that serve it. I had some Asian coworkers who taught me how to order and pay for the stuff.

Pho Hints:

1) Pho is ordered by number, usually the numbers denote combinations of types of meat including flank, brisket, rare steak, tendon, and "bible tripe." I can do without the tendon and tripe, but that's just me.

2) Order "Coffee" and you will get the delicious and invigorating Cafe Sua Da, filtered hot French coffee served in a cup with condensed milk, you mix it up and then you pour it over ice.

3) You get a separate plate of bean sprouts, mint leaves, and jalapeno peppers, flavor to taste.

4) You can also squirt hoisin or pepper sauce (found on your table) and mix to taste.

5) You walk up to the cashier to pay, they don't bring you a check.

I have found Pho restaurants usually in or near Vietnamese-expat enclaves, including Westminster, CA; Arlington, VA; Ontario, CA; and Reseda, CA. One thing I have learned is that many Pho restaurants (is there a short title? phoeries?) cater to native Vietnamese and the quality of service, if any, offered to Westerners can vary greatly. However, some are quite clean and inviting and some offer other dishes and other Asian specialties such as Clay Pot and/or Boba Tea.

What are your favorite and non-favorite Pho parlors and why?
Old Dec 16, 2006, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
For myself:

1) I order Pho Chin Gan (brisket + tendon... mmm). The combos really are just for convenience, but you can order whatever you want, like chazas says. If it's available, I also ask for a bowl of the soup bones, which have extra meat and tendon

2) I put hoisin sauce and chili oil in the dipping dish. I personally add NOTHING to my bowl (but when I was younger, I added everything). I don't believe there's an actual proper way to do it.

3) The place (and most have it now) must use the freshly-blanched noodles. Any restaurant that serves the dried/reboiled noodles gets walked out on.

4) A proper Pho broth has star anise as a flavor, as well as a scortched onion and a little scortched ginger.

Originally Posted by chazas
Occasionally they also include a kind of leaf with serrated edges - the best name anyone's told me is "saw leaf herb."
The Vietnamese name for it (don't know the spelling) can be translated into "spikey cilantro."
Old Dec 17, 2006, 7:58 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
I had pho for the first time in my life yesterday, and it was amazing. I had the shrimp, tendon, and meatballs with cilantro, scallions, basil, and the jagged leaf thing..oh and jalapenos. It was wonderful I will use the sriracha next time I didn't know that was an okay thing to do...

Phil

PS In Madison Bamboo on Midvale Blvd serves Pho
Old Dec 18, 2006, 12:08 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
my secret. ask the waiter for the green onion in oil. Take a small spoonful of the oil and place in the soup. It adds a tremendous amount of flavor.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by chazas

(3) The standard greens are bean sprouts, basil leaves, jalapenos and lime. I''ve NEVER been served mint leaves. Occasionally they also include a kind of leaf with serrated edges - the best name anyone's told me is "saw leaf herb."
Although as I recently learned, Northern style typically does not come with the greans and brean sprouts.

On that note, I really like Turtle Tower in SF.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Telfes
Pho-24 is the hot pho chain in Vietnam
They aren't just in Vietnam, my favorite one was in Singapore across from the Intercontinental hotel. However, tragically, it was no longer there on my last visit. So quickly I went to Saigon for the real thing.

In Saigon, I learned that the proper pronunciation is "fa" rather than "fo". My favorite dish is Pho Thai.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:59 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
- The sawtooth herb is called "pakchi farang" in Thai; I don't know a
Vietnamese name for it. Oh, just looked it up, it is supposed to be the
same as Mexican culantro.

- I wouldn't be surprised if some places served some kind of mint;
I've seen a whole lot of different herbs, including even shiso.

- I was told by my friend Jack (who used to live there, pre-war)
that the proper pronunciation is "feu," as in "pot au feu."

- Star anise in the broth is pretty much a given.

- Sriracha is overkill (though I love the stuff).
Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by violist
- I was told by my friend Jack (who used to live there, pre-war)
that the proper pronunciation is "feu," as in "pot au feu."
Absolutely, the more common US pronounciation, "ph" sound followed by a long "o" sound is the Vietnamese word for "prostitute" I was told by our guide in Hanoi last year. He was a bit puzzled initially when I requested hot pho for breakfast
Old Dec 29, 2006, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Absolutely, the more common US pronounciation, "ph" sound followed by a long "o" sound is the Vietnamese word for "prostitute" I was told by our guide in Hanoi last year. He was a bit puzzled initially when I requested hot pho for breakfast
Exactly. You shouldn't have to ask.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Duhey2
Now, how 'bout those vietnamese sandwiches????
Vietnamese sandwiches or "Banh Mi" pictured here is a French-inspired baguette made up of thinly sliced, pickled carrots, daikon, onions, cilantro, choice of barbecued pork, paté, chicken and other meats. Since just about every Vietnamese deli (and many Pho restaurants) sold banh mi they needed to compete with other. The standard around the country was $1 each and buy 5 get the 6th sandwich free and the sandwiches were fresh and made to order. At some point Westerns took to the sandwich because of the flavors and being most incredible value in the modern industrialized world. Prices began to skyrocket. Lee's Sandwhiches transformed the banh mi business into huge volume franchise business with SOME specialized sandwich prices approaching $2, their electronic "take a number system", video screens, and late night hours made them hugely popular with some including Westerns. Somewhere things began to go bad with other greedy shops located in downtown locations. Banh mi began to hit $2.75 and higher each in downtown areas as they sought to tap the large lunch time crowds. Even with these crazy downtown prices some of the suit clad downtown patrons still felt it was a good deal when comparing to the over abundent teriyaki places charging $6 or more for their meals. The Vietnamese expats I know found these prices insulting and a reflection of Western stupidity when it comes to what Vietnamese food should cost. Nonethelesss find the right place and the banh mi can be an incredible deal for lunch.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by westcoastman
Vietnamese sandwiches or "Banh Mi" pictured here is a French-inspired baguette made up of thinly sliced, pickled carrots, daikon, onions, cilantro, choice of barbecued pork, paté, chicken and other meats. Since just about every Vietnamese deli (and many Pho restaurants) sold banh mi they needed to compete with other. The standard around the country was $1 each and buy 5 get the 6th sandwich free and the sandwiches were fresh and made to order. At some point Westerns took to the sandwich because of the flavors and being most incredible value in the modern industrialized world. Prices began to skyrocket. Lee's Sandwhiches transformed the banh mi business into huge volume franchise business with SOME specialized sandwich prices approaching $2, their electronic "take a number system", video screens, and late night hours made them hugely popular with some including Westerns. Somewhere things began to go bad with other greedy shops located in downtown locations. Banh mi began to hit $2.75 and higher each in downtown areas as they sought to tap the large lunch time crowds. Even with these crazy downtown prices some of the suit clad downtown patrons still felt it was a good deal when comparing to the over abundent teriyaki places charging $6 or more for their meals. The Vietnamese expats I know found these prices insulting and a reflection of Western stupidity when it comes to what Vietnamese food should cost. Nonethelesss find the right place and the banh mi can be an incredible deal for lunch.
I love those damn things.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 2:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I love those damn things.
With so much fresh crunchy vegis it certainly is refreshing with a lite spread of pate and a layer of that mystery meat. The cilantro further finishes the experience. I always ask for no hot peppers on mine and I like spicy BUT unless you enjoy really hot sliced green peppers you should probably do the same. They are easy to take out if you forget and you will soon realize it if you forget. You can see the peppers in this picture

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.