Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Old May 27, 2015, 7:34 pm

Macallan 25

I need some spend on a new credit card and a bottle of Macallan 25 would put me over the required $3,000 to get 50,000 UA miles. My local liquor store had a bottle of it all boxed up when I asked a few weeks ago. What I'm wondering about is how to keep the bottle once opened. I have a vacuum pump I use for wine after I open it. Should I do the same with the Macallan 25 or would it be fine just putting the stopper back in the bottle. I expect it's going to be six months before I finish the bottle, maybe even longer. I had a 1.5L bottle of Macallan 12 that I took a while to finish and that seemed OK without vacuum sealing it. It's not a mechanical pump just a hand pump that sucks out the air.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

doesnt it not matter for liquor?
Old May 28, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
I need some spend on a new credit card and a bottle of Macallan 25 would put me over the required $3,000 to get 50,000 UA miles. My local liquor store had a bottle of it all boxed up when I asked a few weeks ago. What I'm wondering about is how to keep the bottle once opened. I have a vacuum pump I use for wine after I open it. Should I do the same with the Macallan 25 or would it be fine just putting the stopper back in the bottle. I expect it's going to be six months before I finish the bottle, maybe even longer. I had a 1.5L bottle of Macallan 12 that I took a while to finish and that seemed OK without vacuum sealing it. It's not a mechanical pump just a hand pump that sucks out the air.
Just stick the cork back in it. Liquor doesn't oxidize like wine does.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
But the angels of Scotland is always taking their share via evaporation!
Old May 28, 2015, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
But the angels of Scotland is always taking their share via evaporation!
That's funny. Well now I have my very own bottle of Macallan 25. Was a display item from a locked display case but seems perfectly fine. Not sure when I'll open it.

I've been doing some reading and most articles I find say that air and light have the biggest impact on scotch. Maybe not as much as they do for wine but still significant.

Last edited by zitsky; May 28, 2015 at 7:47 pm
Old May 29, 2015, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was reminded just a few days ago how incredibly delicious Talisker 10-yo is.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:19 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Many of the 10 year olds, such as Talsiker, Laphroaig, and Bowmore Legend are wonderful
Old May 29, 2015, 10:35 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zitsky
I've been doing some reading and most articles I find say that air and light have the biggest impact on scotch. Maybe not as much as they do for wine but still significant.
The effects of both should be negligible for distilled spirits over reasonable timeframes.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by exerda
The effects of both should be negligible for distilled spirits over reasonable timeframes.
That's reassuring. Next time I buy I'll ask for a bottle that hasn't been exposed to light but good to know that impact of light (not sunlight) is minimal.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:05 pm

I have no love for the Mac25. Too long in the Sherry casks. It no longer tastes like Scotch. 17 or 18 is the sweet spot IMO. Islay's are so funky they can take it though. In a Bourbon barrel I'll take every year I can get, not so with Port and Sherry.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It does oxidize, just not as quickly. My experience is that some oxidation actually improves the whisky at first. Once the bottle approaches half gone, I use Private Preserve to keep everything in check.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Well, I just returned from my 1st trip to Ireland and N. Ireland, and followed that up with a trip to Denver. I took tours/tastings of the Bushmills distillery and Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. As a result, have added a bottle of Bushmills 12 and Stranahan's to my collection. I'm not sure why I didn't have distilleries on my itineraries before ... what a blast. tls
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by thelostshark
Well, I just returned from my 1st trip to Ireland and N. Ireland, and followed that up with a trip to Denver. I took tours/tastings of the Bushmills distillery and Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. As a result, have added a bottle of Bushmills 12 and Stranahan's to my collection. I'm not sure why I didn't have distilleries on my itineraries before ... what a blast. tls
Have only a done a couple rum distillery tours in the Caribbean. Neither actually toured production facilities, although I did watch a lady labelling and polishing bottles at John Watlings in NAS. I have also attended many tastings at Ole Smoky Moonshine back home in TN.

How were the tours? I actually enjoy industrial tours and quite liked all the brewery tours we have taken. I assume you got a decent sampling from each. Any other high points?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
Once the bottle approaches half gone, I use Private Preserve to keep everything in check.
what is Private Reserve ?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:33 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I have no love for the Mac25. Too long in the Sherry casks. It no longer tastes like Scotch. 17 or 18 is the sweet spot IMO. Islay's are so funky they can take it though. In a Bourbon barrel I'll take every year I can get, not so with Port and Sherry.
True--more than 18 in port or sherry casks really makes it into something un-Scotch-like. Even then, it depends on the whisky; I'm not a huge fan of a young one like Kavalan finished in port for even a short period, as it overwhelms the whisky itself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.