Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
A picture of my own modest collection.

From left to right:
  • Highland Park 12yo
  • Balvenie Doublewood 12yo (favourite easy drinker)
  • Balvenie Goldencask 14yo
  • Lagavulin 16yo (favourite winter dram)
  • Talisker 10yo (a gift... too young for my tastes!)
  • Glen Garioch Founder's Reserve (impulse duty free purchase)
  • Bowmore 12yo (first bottle I ever bought... and had it for about a decade now. It's not one of my favourites)

I love single malts, I just can't drink much of them (most of the bottles in that picture are almost full) and they pile up so quickly... I'd love to buy a few more bottles, but I can't seem to justify it to myself when I have all of these at home!

This thread has inspired me to splurge on a new single malt the next time I go through duty free though.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: OnePass Platinum, *G, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Prestige, Costa Coffee Loyalty Card
Phedre:

As a thank-you for introducing me to BPAL, let me suggest Oban single-malt. Very small distillery, with a really light flavour. Hard to find, unfortunately.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by phedre
A picture of my own modest collection.

From left to right:
  • Highland Park 12yo
  • Balvenie Doublewood 12yo (favourite easy drinker)
  • Balvenie Goldencask 14yo
  • Lagavulin 16yo (favourite winter dram)
  • Talisker 10yo (a gift... too young for my tastes!)
  • Glen Garioch Founder's Reserve (impulse duty free purchase)
  • Bowmore 12yo (first bottle I ever bought... and had it for about a decade now. It's not one of my favourites)

I love single malts, I just can't drink much of them (most of the bottles in that picture are almost full) and they pile up so quickly... I'd love to buy a few more bottles, but I can't seem to justify it to myself when I have all of these at home!

This thread has inspired me to splurge on a new single malt the next time I go through duty free though.
Interesting, I enjoy the Blavenie Doublewood, the Lagavullin 16 , I don't mind the young Talisker - it has some interesting tastes in it, but surprisingly, the Bowmore Legend, the youngest in their range, is one of my"go to" malts. I've been to tastings where there entire core range was offered, and the Legend is the one I like the best.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:50 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by chubbuni13
Haven't really seen any mention of Caol Ila which I think is a pretty underrated Islay... most of the Islay attention is given to Lagavulin and Laphroaig, but I think there's definitely a place in one's collection for the CI 12 year.
Missed post #115?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Missed post #115?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
And on the same page

I wouldnt be surprised if it was mentioned upthread as well. I do like Caol Ila quite a bit but it isnt the easiest to find in the US. I do see it in the NYC area, but not at most places. Ive had it quite a few times with meals and at bars in EDI as well. But the selections there are quite different than even NYC.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by Larrude
Interesting, I enjoy the Blavenie Doublewood, the Lagavullin 16 , I don't mind the young Talisker - it has some interesting tastes in it, but surprisingly, the Bowmore Legend, the youngest in their range, is one of my"go to" malts. I've been to tastings where there entire core range was offered, and the Legend is the one I like the best.
I may pull it out and give it another try. To be honest I haven't even looked at it in years, but I was a much newer single malt tippler when I first tried it.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:08 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by phedre
Originally Posted by Larrude
I may pull it out and give it another try. To be honest I haven't even looked at it in years, but I was a much newer single malt tippler when I first tried it.
I think Bowmore also makes a bottling called "Bowmore Darkest". You might check that out if you like Bowmore, which I certainly do.

Edited to add, Bowmore Darkest also mentioned favorably in post #67.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Dec 20, 2010 at 2:46 pm
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:32 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MelesMeles
... let me suggest Oban single-malt. Hard to find, unfortunately.
not in the U.S. Oban is all over.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:37 pm

Missed post #115?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
And #41 and #65, from 2007.

Problem with these long threads.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
not in the U.S. Oban is all over.
I'll testify to that as well.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: OnePass Platinum, *G, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Prestige, Costa Coffee Loyalty Card
Glad to hear that I am, once again, utterly wrong

The little B&B I stayed at in Oban included a bottle of the stuff on the house every evening. Nothing says hospitality like free scotch.

Are you listening, Starwood Lurker?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:48 pm

I'll testify to that as well.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Im not a fan of Oban, but it is pretty ubiquitous in the US. I have a bottle of Highland Park 15 I picked up over the weekend that I have to try tonight after Im done with my personal trainer. Or more accurately, when he is done with me.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Several people mention Port Ellen. I just had a couple drinks of my Port Ellen 1978 that i keep for very special occasions. It is certainly my all time favorite, just as today may end out being my all time favorite day. I'm a happy man. Starwood Lurker here reminds me I'm alos about to spend ten days in one of my favorite Starwood properties. I'll probably have some Bowmore 21 there, another of my favorites.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Im not a fan of Oban, but it is pretty ubiquitous in the US. I have a bottle of Highland Park 15 I picked up over the weekend that I have to try tonight after Im done with my personal trainer. Or more accurately, when he is done with me.
I think with me, it is just whatever I'm in the mood for at the moment. I like Oban when I'm looking for a smoother Scotch experience. It kind of took the place of Loch Dhue when they stopped distilling. That was an interesting Scotch...black as night from the charcoal, but silky smooth going down. I did not get any floaters in any that I bought personally, but some folks dubbed it "old ashtray" because of the flecks of carbon they encountered.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 20, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Thank you, you are correct. And I havent even started on it yet. Glad to hear that though. I am enjoying Laphroaig more as I am older, but I find the 10 a bit harsh. The 15 and 18 are great though. And I am looking forward to trying the quarter cask even more after your comment!
Taste report officially requested on the Laphroaig quarter cask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.