Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by kklems
Stopped in my local liquor store and they are having a single malt sale. Picked up lava 16, tallister storm and ober 18. I want to get one more but I am torn between the Mac 18 and from reading a large chunk of this thread the tallister 18.

I am a little gun shy on the Mac 18. Have had a glass twice in the last six months (from the same place). The first time it was awesome. Probably my all time favorite. The next time I went back (last week) the Mac didn't taste the same- not sure if the place was playing games or it was a bad bottle. Much more overwhelming alcohol taste if that makes sense. (My wife agreed-she almost liked the 1st time, didn't like the second so I don't think it was in my mind).

I have had tallister Storm before and liked that. The tallister is almost half the cost of the Mac but I have never had it. If the Mac was like the 1st bottle than I really think that would be a great purchase but I disliked the 2nd pour. The tallister 18 seems to be very popular here.

Any thoughts? I don't drink scotch outside home very often so I don't mind splurging for home.
I had the same tasting experience with Macallan 25. First, maybe second time I tried it at a restaurant, it was great. But when I bought my own bottle it just wasn't as good. Maybe the bottle was in the light too long, it was a display bottle. I will never make that mistake again. I think Macallan 18 is overrated, but then again, it's probably true for the 25. I'm sticking to plain old Macallan 12 from now on.

Are you talking about Talisker Storm? I haven't tried that, at least not for a very long time. I think I bought a bottle of Talisker in grad school.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Let us know how the Talisker Storm is.

I'm going on a cruise soon and I'm going to see what duty-free travel exclusive Scotch Whisky I can bring back.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Let us know how the Talisker Storm is.

I'm going on a cruise soon and I'm going to see what duty-free travel exclusive Scotch Whisky I can bring back.
Will make that sacrifice

Bought the tallister Storm today. Was just try to decide what to get for a special occasion bottle Mac 18 versus tallister 18.

Alas I doubt I will every try the Mac 25 with the price being over $1000
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by kklems
Will make that sacrifice

Bought the tallister Storm today. Was just try to decide what to get for a special occasion bottle Mac 18 versus tallister 18.

Alas I doubt I will every try the Mac 25 with the price being over $1000
And at $1,000 per bottle. I really wonder how good it could be or if it's really a mental thing since it's supposed to be good at that age+price.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
And at $1,000 per bottle. I really wonder how good it could be or if it's really a mental thing since it's supposed to be good at that age+price.
When you're buying a glass at $20 or more, you can enjoy it. But at $1,000 a bottle it isn't good enough in my opinion.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
I had the same tasting experience with Macallan 25. First, maybe second time I tried it at a restaurant, it was great. But when I bought my own bottle it just wasn't as good. Maybe the bottle was in the light too long, it was a display bottle. I will never make that mistake again. I think Macallan 18 is overrated, but then again, it's probably true for the 25. I'm sticking to plain old Macallan 12 from now on.

Are you talking about Talisker Storm? I haven't tried that, at least not for a very long time. I think I bought a bottle of Talisker in grad school.
When I first started drinking malt, I thought Macallan 18 was the Holy Grail. But the older I get, the more Talisker and Ardbeg call my name (though Highland Park is still my standby).

Macallan is just too ... subtle? ... for my taste.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by zitsky
When you're buying a glass at $20 or more, you can enjoy it. But at $1,000 a bottle it isn't good enough in my opinion.
Yeah, 3 or 4 years ago you could buy a bottle for $500. It was arguable whether it was worth it then...it certainly doesn't taste any better today at twice the price. That's the problem with so many whiskeys now. Don't see this boom lasting forever.
Old May 31, 2016, 3:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Went to the ABC Store today to pick up a bottle of Glenlivet 12. I noticed that Glenlivet 15, the "French Oak Reserve" was only $16 more ($64 vs. $48) so I went with that instead.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Went to the ABC Store in Hillsborough NC over the weekend. They had a Japanese Whisky I'd never seen before (and is apparently only sold in the US).

Suntory Toki, a blended . It was $29.99 which is a steal and the only time NC prices have ever been lower than national prevailing prices ever (which are ~$40).

I think my expectations were set a bit high (not surprising since the rest of my collection is Yamazaki / Hibki / Taketsuru with age statements) but it was a bit disappointing.

Decent nose and opening but it lacks the legs that the age statements have (not surprising). A quick google reveals that many see it as better suited for a traditional Japanese Highball (without sacrificing the good stuff) - will have to try that and see before deciding whether to buy another bottle.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Anyone ever get their hands on Glenfiddich snow phoenix? I remember having a chance to get it when it first came out and not wanting to spend the $100. I can't believe what a bottle is selling for now . Anyone who had it, was it good?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Some friends of mine went to Denver for Thanksgiving and they brought me back a bottle of Stranahan's

It's in my office drawer so I can enjoy it after a long day and share it with clients.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by CMK10
It's in my office drawer so I can enjoy it after a long day and share it with clients.
In between sips of whisky don't forget to say a few words about whatever matters you're handling for them so you can bill for the time.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by CMK10
Some friends of mine went to Denver for Thanksgiving and they brought me back a bottle of Stranahan's

I got some for a present earlier this year, or maybe it was Christmas last year. Is that huge metal thing on the top an emergency glass? I tossed it since the bottle remained on top of the liquor cabinet until I finished it.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Duke787
Went to the ABC Store in Hillsborough NC over the weekend. They had a Japanese Whisky I'd never seen before (and is apparently only sold in the US).

Suntory Toki, a blended . It was $29.99 which is a steal and the only time NC prices have ever been lower than national prevailing prices ever (which are ~$40).

I think my expectations were set a bit high (not surprising since the rest of my collection is Yamazaki / Hibki / Taketsuru with age statements) but it was a bit disappointing.

Decent nose and opening but it lacks the legs that the age statements have (not surprising). A quick google reveals that many see it as better suited for a traditional Japanese Highball (without sacrificing the good stuff) - will have to try that and see before deciding whether to buy another bottle.
Saw this on the bottom shelf at Costco, looks like I dodged a bullet
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I second this. Ardbeg 10 is a great one.
agree, tried a few at the ZRH whisky bar and this stood out of all the islay i tried.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.