Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I'm not that impressed with it. The old (pre-label inflation) Johnnie Walker Gold was a much better scotch in my opinion. Even on a take cost out of the equation basis, JW Gold was, to my palate, better than JW Blue. Adjust for the cost of each and it was a slam-dunk no-brainer.

Does anyone know if the post-label inflation JW Platinum is the same blend as the old Gold?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by NoClu
Two neat threads from over in Travel & Dining
Is that a pun?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by zitsky
Is Blue still a blended scotch? How would it compare to a Macallan 12 or 25? Anyone know?
Yes, and the answer is it wouldn't, at least to a 25 Fine Oak, at least in my opinion. Granted it is a third or less of the price of the former, so caveat emptor.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It is very good. And I don't know what liquor pricing is in your area, but it is readily available for well under $200 (750ml) in CA.

I rarely drink it.
http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=610002

$150 / 750ml in SF and LA
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by dchristiva
That's why you need to start going over to D.C. to buy your scotch (and other liquor). I save at least $10 a bottle, depending on what I'm buying. The last time I needed to stock the bar (with generally just the essential 5-6 bottles), I saved close to $100 over what the VA ABC prices.
I imagine booze is one of the few things where VA is more expensive than DC. Tls
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
I can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now.

A few thoughts:

JW Blue is pretty good. I'm a very light drinker so I splurge when I buy a bottle. My last JW Blue purchase happened some time ago, in 2005 at a liquor store near my parents' place in Tokyo for 11,000 yen. The exchange rate at the time meant I scored 750 ml for less than $100US.

Good times.

I still have half of it left, tightly corked and broken out every now and again. Like I said, light drinker.

I've sampled a number of Scotches over the years. The Glenfiddich 18 has a decent punch and a great nose and is a personal favorite.

The one that left the deepest impression on me, though, was a 25-year-old Auchentoshan I bought my kid brother for his 25th birthday. It had a very mellow flavor that felt like it was half vapor, probably due the alcohol evaporating as I tasted it. It was fantastic.

I've stepped away from Scotches, recently, though. Maybe I should step forward again.

...I have to go now. This thread has made me thirsty.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:49 am

Is Blue still a blended scotch? How would it compare to a Macallan 12 or 25? Anyone know?
I certainly enjoy Macallan 25 more than JW blue, but the Macallan is overpriced for what it is (dollar/value ratio). The JW blue offers a better value, in my eyes. Both will appeal to a very broad base - they are easy to like.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by NoClu
Now I'm dizzy.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by thelark
I certainly enjoy Macallan 25 more than JW blue, but the Macallan is overpriced for what it is (dollar/value ratio). The JW blue offers a better value, in my eyes. Both will appeal to a very broad base - they are easy to like.
I and most tasters out there far prefer the Mac 18. 25 years is too long in Sherry cask. To me it seems like I'm drinking sherry not scotch. I'd rather have 'the Blue' no matter how overpriced it may be. For a blend that's a good value and in so many duty free shops - may I suggest Ballantine's 17. It's quite nicely made.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Herb687
I'm not that impressed with it. The old (pre-label inflation) Johnnie Walker Gold was a much better scotch in my opinion. Even on a take cost out of the equation basis, JW Gold was, to my palate, better than JW Blue. Adjust for the cost of each and it was a slam-dunk no-brainer.
I like Johnnie Walker's 18-year Gold better than the 21-year Blue Label. The gold has a smoky and sweet character, the blue is just too strong for me. Drinking it is like being punched in mouth.

A much nicer 21-year Scotch to my taste is Glenfarclas 21, mentioned upthread. It's less expensive than JW Blue, much more approachable while still being very refined, and has a perfectly pronounceable combination of 3 syllables and 3 vowels.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Funny scotch story.

I'm in Madrid and I go out to a nice dinner tonight. On my way in I see the scotch options, not bad I think. I order a scotch and get a funny look from the waiter. I say it again and he says "wut ees scotch?" so I say "Uh, Macallan?" and he says "oh...ju mean mild wee-skee".

Never heard that one before
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Funny scotch story.

I'm in Madrid and I go out to a nice dinner tonight. On my way in I see the scotch options, not bad I think. I order a scotch and get a funny look from the waiter. I say it again and he says "wut ees scotch?" so I say "Uh, Macallan?" and he says "oh...ju mean mild wee-skee".

Mild as compared with what, exactly? Maybe if he tried some Cask Strength Macallan he would appreciate scotch more.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
Funny scotch story.

Hah! To be fair, asking for "whisky" anywhere but the US, Ireland, or Canada will usually get you scotch.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Mild as compared with what, exactly?
Most likely compared to peaty smoky whiskies, such as Laphroaig, Lagavulin or Talisker.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Hah! To be fair, asking for "whisky" anywhere but the US, Ireland, or Canada will usually get you scotch.
Hmm that is good information for my next trip to Europe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.