Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
That's s good price. I paid about that wholesale (no shipping) and could only get 3 or 4 bottles/year.
Yeah, I grabbed a few bottles. In NYC it goes for upwards of $150.

If only I could find a deal on Springbank.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:29 pm

I did find a decent deal on Ardbeg Corryvreckan...Looking forward to doing a tasting of it alongside the Uigeadail and Ten.

Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I did find a decent deal on Ardbeg Corryvreckan...Looking forward to doing a tasting of it alongside the Uigeadail and Ten.

Looks interesting. Where was this?
Old May 9, 2014, 11:08 pm

It's frustrating to be searching high and low and finally locating a bottle only to learn the source can't ship out of state. After trying to secure a particular bottle of Gordon and Macphail for several months I was quite disappointed to find that MA is one such state. I actually considered taking the 3 hour drive to get it...but my wife would likely not appreciate me being gone for a day, particularly with a 1 month old baby at home. Any workarounds for this issue? Anyone here live in Massachusetts?
Old May 10, 2014, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I've never heard of this before today.
I never tasted this before today (at lunch).

Slightly smokey.

http://www.lost-distillery.com/pages/gerston

dh
Old May 10, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
It's frustrating to be searching high and low and finally locating a bottle only to learn the source can't ship out of state. After trying to secure a particular bottle of Gordon and Macphail for several months I was quite disappointed to find that MA is one such state. I actually considered taking the 3 hour drive to get it...but my wife would likely not appreciate me being gone for a day, particularly with a 1 month old baby at home. Any workarounds for this issue? Anyone here live in Massachusetts?
Give the wife a day off and take the baby with you on the road trip.

Car rides are soothing for little ones. Supposedly I had pretty bad colic when I was tiny, and the only way my dad could quiet me down was by taking me out for a drive. Maybe that's why I like road trips so much...they were imprinted on me from a very young age.
Old May 10, 2014, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by dhammer53

Slightly smokey.

dh
Sounds interesting; do you know about availability on our side of the big pond?
Old May 11, 2014, 4:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dhammer53

Slightly smokey.

dh
Smoke and scotch go together very well, I will have to keep my eyes open for this one ^
Old May 12, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Smoke and scotch go together very well, I will have to keep my eyes open for this one ^
I used to be able to find a Scotch called Loch Dhue (black lake). If you like it smoky, you would have loved this one. It was black as night and had to be decanted to get rid of floaters. Some of us irreverently referred to it as "Old Ashtray". LOL

But, it was absolutely the smoothest tasting single malt I had ever drunk.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Give the wife a day off and take the baby with you on the road trip.

Car rides are soothing for little ones. Supposedly I had pretty bad colic when I was tiny, and the only way my dad could quiet me down was by taking me out for a drive. Maybe that's why I like road trips so much...they were imprinted on me from a very young age.
We just took her on her first real car ride yesterday (hour +) and I can definitely say I would not want to do it alone for 3+ hours! Perhaps when she's a bit older.

I'm still trying to find an address in MA that I can have the order shipped to, and then forwarded to me. There are some services that do it...but the prices are ridiculous, particularly for a one off shipment.

Not sure if MA allows vendors to ship into the state, but if they don't I'd be happy to reciprocate and forward a package to someone in return.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Tried a new one at a friend's house last night: Speyburn. It was pretty decent, not too peat-y and with a nice aftertaste. Fellow FTer Jackal said it was better than Glenlivet but I don't agree, mainly because The Glenlivet is my bottle.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Hopefully somebody here can help.

I am not a connoisseur by any means but I do appreciate a good scotch at times.

I was given a bottle of "The Royal Household" Scotch Whisky circa 1980s. Still in original box.

I was told its a special bottle of hooch. What makes it special?

Is it something that I can sell? I am never going to really appreciate the bottle and it would be a pity that I guy like me to drink it.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Taiwaned

I was given a bottle of "The Royal Household" Scotch Whisky circa 1980s. Still in original box.

Is it something that I can sell? I am never going to really appreciate the bottle and it would be a pity that I guy like me to drink it.
Never tried it but a bit o' tha googlin' turned up this link to an auction:

Is this the bottle you have? At 185 pounds it's expensive but not crazy so. If it were me, I'd open it up and share with the gift giver.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by uszkanni
Never tried it but a bit o' tha googlin' turned up this link to an auction:
Here is another auction. In this one, the reserve was not met.

Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Taiwaned

Maybe if you drink it, you'll become a connoisseur. At the least, try it on a couple occasions before you pass it on to friend you think will appreciate the rest. Someone thought enough of you to gift it. Don't sell it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.