Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:50 pm

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
I usually drink Crown Royal or another Canadian whisky (Forty Creek, VO, then CC). But when I was in Mexico for a wedding recently, the only whiskey they had was Johnnie Walker Black so I drank that and water. I felt horrible then next morning and even fended off a migraine.

Needless to say, I'll pass on scotch for a while....
Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:51 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
[QUOTE=Peter
Few Scots-owned distilleries survive, many are Japanese owned.
[/QUOTE]

Very true Glenfarclas is one of the few remanding independents left in Scotland. To best enjoy a Scotch you should always add a drop of water so the alcohol does not over power the full flavor of the malt.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Remembering "de gustibus non est disputandum" and so forth, I agree with those who find Glenlivet over-rated (also JW). But also it was my introduction to single malts and will have to figure prominently in my forthcoming memoirs. Meanwhile, for me, Laphroaig first, last, and always. Unfortunately, not that easy to get in much of Asia. Leaving Bowmore, Macallans, and Dalwhiney as acceptable subststitutes -- as we don't have to get *too* snobbist over mixed scotes -- even if never able to find quite the spot that Laphroaig does. Scotch-importers to Asia please take note. But thanks for the tip above to try "Tallisker"--it will be a new oen for me.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Peter M
Of course the proper way to drink Scotch is on the rocks without anything else, or if you must - weaken it a drop of spring water. For the older generation, the best time to drink Scotch is not all day! - But as a night cap.
In general I think the "proper" way to drink scotch is how you like it. I must confess to adoring a Lagavoulin and soda on a hot day. But for afficianodos the "proper" way to drink scotch is NOT on the rocks, but straight with a few drops of water to open up the flavor; or as the hostess in a Japanese whisky bar I was taken to (note the very great distinction between the hostess bar and whisky bar ) said "neato". Again, I dont think that and think people should do as they enjoy, but the classic way is straight. In bars a friend and I went to while exploring Edinbough we were very pleased to see the little taps on the bar so you could finish your own malt with a bit of water.

But as far as nightcaps only Im really going to have to disagree. I was at a wonderful whisky store on Greek Street in London (forget the name) with a huge selection of whisky and a downstairs tasting room on a Saturday morning a few years ago. We went to the tasting room and had some (I think it was Port Ellen). The guy doing the tastings said, "Its a fine breakfast whisky". I also really enjoyed on the couple of occassions Ive been to Gidleigh Park in Devon that they introduced me to "Porridge With" for breakfast: Oatmeal with brown sugar (I think) and instead of milk, single malt poured over it. Had it for breakfast everday I was there last time, except for the day I was going shooting. Didnt seem prudent
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by hobarthoney
Very true Glenfarclas is one of the few remanding independents left in Scotland. To best enjoy a Scotch you should always add a drop of water so the alcohol does not over power the full flavor of the malt.

The Japanese make some interesting scotch imitations. I wouldnt compare them but some are very enjoyable. A Japanese colleague and I killed most of a bottle of Suntory Samurai (I think that was the name), which is Suntorys high end single malt, one night at a whisky bar. It was really nice except for the fact that I had to lead a discussion group at a meeting the next morning.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
In general I think the "proper" way to drink scotch is how you like it.
.... couldn't agree more, far too easy for some to get silly on these things!

I'd agree with some of the comments relating to JW Black - never understood its wide appeal

Last edited by Kettering Northants QC; Aug 1, 2006 at 1:50 am
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:50 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite; Amex Plat
Great blend

My favorite blend is The Famous Grouse. It's very smooth, and made from The Macallan and Highland Park - can't get a better pedigree than that!

Single Malts -
I'm into Sherry, so The Macallan, Highland Park, Mortlach,
and I also like The Sea: Talisker, Bunnahabhain
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by GingerGrouse
My favorite blend is The Famous Grouse. It's very smooth, and made from The Macallan and Highland Park - can't get a better pedigree than that!

Single Malts -
I'm into Sherry, so The Macallan, Highland Park, Mortlach,
and I also like The Sea: Talisker, Bunnahabhain

Welcome to Flyertalk. If you like the sea taste of whisky try Lagavoulin and Bowmore, especially the former!
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:46 am
mag

Programs: LH M&M, FTL / *S
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I also really enjoyed on the couple of occassions Ive been to Gidleigh Park in Devon that they introduced me to "Porridge With" for breakfast: Oatmeal with brown sugar (I think) and instead of milk, single malt poured over it.
wow, as i love porridge, i have to give this a try! is this really "instead of milk" or is it "add some whisky"?

my favourite single malt is jura. straight, or with one ice cube to enjoy the softening of the taste.

and to round up my pint, "famous" is not too bad, either.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by mag
wow, as i love porridge, i have to give this a try! is this really "instead of milk" or is it "add some whisky"?

my favourite single malt is jura. straight, or with one ice cube to enjoy the softening of the taste.

and to round up my pint, "famous" is not too bad, either.

No milk. Whisky and brown sugar I think, but definately no milk.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:01 am

Programs: NWA Platinum Elite, Million miler plus
As a scotch drinker most of my life, I find that most of what I drink is just the every day variety of blended scotch. It's easy to have favorite single malts, and I have my share, but I don't usually belt down $80+ scotch every day after a hard days work.

That said, what is your favorite blended scotch, the type you'd order at your local pub/bar, or in an airport lounge?

For me, I usually drink Dewers or Red Label. Also like Famous Grouse when in Europe.

Anybody got any fantastic recommendations?
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:30 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I can't stomach JW Red, even in a mix. Much better off drinking rye in that price range. But there are single malts selling for USD 30 per bottle (and most are under USD 50), so it isn't that much more to get a much nicer Scotch. The best value that I've found is JW Green, which is a blend of single malts (but 100% malt) and has a mild middle-of-the-road taste that everyone likes. Not as interesting as Lagavulin, but more likely to please everyone. Otherwise Pinch is pretty good (15 yo for under USD 40), but hard to get these days.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by DESMOINESguy
As a scotch drinker most of my life, I find that most of what I drink is just the every day variety of blended scotch. It's easy to have favorite single malts, and I have my share, but I don't usually belt down $80+ scotch every day after a hard days work.

That said, what is your favorite blended scotch, the type you'd order at your local pub/bar, or in an airport lounge?

For me, I usually drink Dewers or Red Label. Also like Famous Grouse when in Europe.

Anybody got any fantastic recommendations?
I dont drink the blends typically. Of them the one I think I have liked the most is Pinch.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
I have to admit my tastes in Scotch Whisky runs the gambit of tastes. A lot of it really does depend on my mood.

At my office, I have a blended scotch that I personally like. I have the Isle of Jura 1984. This seems to go quite well on a Friday afternoon, and actually is a popular choice at our office "samplings".

At home I have close to 30 different bottles. Some I have opened and some I still have sealed. I do agree with the OP that the Port Ellen is a great whisky. I have four bottles of the 1979 at home and love them all. Of course if you read the description in the whisky guidebook, you will get a good laugh.

In the past week I have had the Macallan 18 and 21, Bowmore 12, and a Highland Park single cask (I think it was a 12yr).

On a side note, there appears to be a lot of scotch whisky drinkers on FT.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:04 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
...On a side note, there appears to be a lot of scotch whisky drinkers on FT.
LOL. Yep, and at least two threads on the subject at OMNI.

My favorite all-around is probably Glenmorangie 18, with apologies to the taste buds of the OP.

But, every now and then you just have to have an Islay malt, and my favorite there is Caol Ila 18.

For everyday drinking purposes - not that I can handle drinking whisky everyday, mind you - I've found Oban to be most acceptable.

Haven't tried Talisker yet, but I'm about to based upon some recommendations made here.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.