Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your personal food rules.....

Your personal food rules.....

Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:04 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jackal

Olives are generally too salty to be pleasant.
If they're not already in a salty solution, they'd be bitter. 'Tis why you don't eat olives fresh.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Lettuce:

1. Preferably arugula or good romaine or leaf lettuce. Iceberg if fresh is acceptable as a vehicle of good croutons.

2. Never, ever, ever ever on tacos. Ever.

3. If I am going to eat a salad, put the chicken or shrimp or whatever meat on the side. Heartily dislike the taste of lettuce and meat together in the same bite.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
1. No squid, ever.
2. No Miracle Whip, ever.
3. Fries cannot be salty enough. Can be eaten with ketchup, mustard, malt vinegar, or plain.
4. Don't eat regional specialties out of their region. Maryland crab cakes are best in Maryland/Delaware. Fried catfish and fried okra are best in the South. Occasional exceptions can be made (J. Gilbert's in Glastonbury, CT makes an excellent crab cake).
5. No organ meats, ever.
6. There is nothing better in this world than a fresh Jersey tomato slathered with mayonnaise and salt and pepper.
7. Chowders are milk based and don't have a single red item in them. Oh, there must be sufficient pepper in them for them to be nearly gray. With lots of crackers.
8. Lobster roll has no mayonnaise. Then it's lobster salad roll.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by CMK10
Don't take food off my plate without asking. I don't care how close we are, I'm always happy to share but I insist that you ask first. I hate when people just reach over and take some unless the dish is for everyone.
+1. The only exception I will make for this is Mrs. mjcewl1284. Even she has the courtesy to verbalize she will take a bite out of something well before she motions with her fork.
It bothers me to no end when an acquaintance of a friend (which means complete stranger to me) does this.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:28 pm

Nothing with mushrooms in it......EVER!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
No seafood of any kind. No hush puppies either...reminds me of seafood.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:57 pm

The only things in this world that are Green and Good are Mountain Dew... and *Money*!

In other words... salads suck.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:01 pm

Hey, wait a minute - I'm Green and Good
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:18 pm

Don't worry... wasn't including mammals in this.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA (Silver), WN
Thumbs down Seafood

Originally Posted by LivelyFL
No seafood of any kind. No hush puppies either...reminds me of seafood.
Fully agree! Absolutely NO SEAFOOD for me. That includes any mussels, shrimp, octopus, seaweed, etc. Had fish poisoning while attending USAF Technical School at Amarillo AFB, TX in 1963-1964. 80 some troops had their stomachs pumped - not a pleasant thing to endure!!!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by frugal_flyer
Don't worry... wasn't including mammals in this.
Aren't dragons technically reptiles?

Originally Posted by Menko
Had fish...at Amarillo...TX
Well, there's your problem right there. I have never once had edible fish more than 100 miles from the coast (and, in fact, 9 times out of 10, the fish I have even along the coast south of Ketchikan, AK has been pretty mediocre.

Come up to the fresh, ice-cold waters of Alaska and you'll experience an entirely different level of seafood. After having lived in Alaska for 17 years, I learned that if I see a fish dish on a menu outside of the state, I should instantly discount it. Outside of Alaska, it simply is not possible to get fish fresh enough to avoid that fishy taste. Fish should not taste fishy!

(I squirm at the thought of shellfish, so I won't argue that you should eat mussels or anything else, but there are few things on this earth as tasty as a fresh-from-the-water grilled salmon steak or pan-roasted halibut.)
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by jackal
Aren't dragons technically reptiles?
Shouldn't be talking about other FTers but Green Dragon posted a link to her picture years back. Having seen the picture, I'm 99.999% certain she's a mammal.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thanks you cblaisd for providing this link in another thread. I'll add a few of my personal rules here (I don't have many):

1. Don't eat fried chicken, ribs, or any other obvious hand food with a fork and knife. You just look silly and pretentious, and you won't enjoy the food as much.

2. Fruit and cheese are perfectly fine next to each other. Please don't combine them into a single bite.

3. No ketchup on a hot dog if you're over 5 years old. It's mustard or nothing.

4. Any liquor that cost more than $30 USD per bottle should not be mixed with a soft drink.

5. If you're paying, don't pay attention to anyone else's rules. Do whatever tastes best to you (except for #3, that's kind of a golden rule ).
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by JBord
Thanks you cblaisd for providing this link in another thread. I'll add a few of my personal rules here (I don't have many):

1. Don't eat fried chicken, ribs, or any other obvious hand food with a fork and knife. You just look silly and pretentious, and you won't enjoy the food as much.

2. Fruit and cheese are perfectly fine next to each other. Please don't combine them into a single bite.

3. No ketchup on a hot dog if you're over 5 years old. It's mustard or nothing.

4. Any liquor that cost more than $30 USD per bottle should not be mixed with a soft drink.

5. If you're paying, don't pay attention to anyone else's rules. Do whatever tastes best to you (except for #3 , that's kind of a golden rule ).
Do you treat others to your opinion on #3 when you see it being violated or about to be?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:22 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JBord

1. Don't eat fried chicken, ribs, or any other obvious hand food with a fork and knife.
Uh-oh. I often eat my chicken drumstick by grasping the small end, holding it vertical on the plate, and then using my forking to shave off meat. Same, sometimes, with pork spareribs.

Mea culpa

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.