Reload this Page >

Your personal food rules.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 2:26 pm

When eating at a Chinese restaurant for the first time, order a shrimp dish.

Chefs can't make anything look like shrimp except shrimp.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Part of the problem with eggs is the smell of them when they're cooking- it just turns my stomach. And part of it is the 'egginess' that I find to be unpleasant. It's a food aversion that I've had since about age 4, and I know it's totally irrational, but it just is, even as I recognize the value of the egg as a building block in many other things I do like.
I have an aversion to egg whites. I can eat eggs whites in scrambled eggs, especially if the eggs are scrambled "dry", but never on their own (either fried or boiled).
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by McGoogles
Eat at the dirtiest BBQ places.
An ancillary rule: Eat at barbecue places whose sign shows a pig in an unpiglike act. Especially a pig in a chef's hat cooking up what is presumably pig.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
- No meat ever, unless I can't see it (e.g. chicken broth, Cesar salad dressing) and there is nothing else appealing on the menu.
- Mayonnaise is only good with canned tuna fish. Therefore, I do not eat mayonnaise.
- Whipped cream should be avoided since ice cream is so much better.
- Vegetables should never be allowed in desserts.
- Lettuce should never be shredded.
- Grape juice and wine are good, grape candy and grape jelly are gross. Raisins are the worst.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
1) I might be the only person in the world who loathes chives. I always feel like a pathetically fussy person when I tell the waiter not to put chives on my food (and I always have to mention it because restaurants think chives are so innocuous they never mention in them in menus).

2) Leftover pizza is best eaten just slightly warmer than refrigerated (about 10 seconds in the microwave is about right).

Other people's rules:

1) It drives me batty that my in-laws insist that salad can only be eaten after the main course is finished. But I want salad with my main course (and sometimes the only vegetable is a salad), and my MIL leaves me feeling like I'm uncouth.

2) Another MIL rule: champagne for the Christmas toast must be served in those old-style glasses that have a hollow stem and wide shallow bowl (which results in the bubbles disappearing too quicky). The glasses were stylish 50 years ago. They're not functional. Get over it.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
1) I might be the only person in the world who loathes chives. I always feel like a pathetically fussy person when I tell the waiter not to put chives on my food (and I always have to mention it because restaurants think chives are so innocuous they never mention in them in menus).
I grew up loathing them. I'm not sure what changed in particular, and I don't think I'll ever LIKE them but they're part of a (pretty broad) group of vegetables that I realized in my mid-20s that I no longer cared about one way or the other.

One of my coworkers still hates chives/green onion -- and any other kind of onion; also cilantro -- AFAIK the two aren't related, but because they (or something close enough to cilantro to not matter) go into the Pho most places, hearing him ask for it without either brings them to mind together.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:55 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Oh right, another of my rules- don't eat local fare when in Hong Kong, unless there is a place only selling har gow.

There was a small discussion about tomatoes and whether or not they are to be considered a vegetable. Whatever you consider them, they're a fruit to me, and to the Chinese as well- over in the mainland, they are frequently served at the end of a meal with other fruit, or sliced and topped with granulated sugar.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Wow, I just found this thread, terrific stuff. While I’ve only read about 100 of the 697 posts I can say that it is highly entertaining.
(Disturbing, but very interesting nonetheless. )

There are a few things which I didn’t see mentioned:

- No squash or zucchini ; cooked, raw, fried, whatever, they just FEEL weird in your mouth.

- No peppers ; red, green, yellow, whatever, they are an assault on the taste buds.

- Dessert should never include fruit or vegetables or anything else that could even remotely be considered “healthy”. Dessert should have absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever. Invariably desserts with chocolate are vastly superior to all others. ^

- Dinner leftovers, be it pizza or chicken or pasta or whatever, served hot or cold, are generally more appealing as breakfast than the majority of traditional breakfast foods. @:-)

And of course I haven’t read any proper listings of the 5 basic food groups, which SHOULD be:
- Candy and Chocolate
- Ice Cream
- Cake and Cookies
- Salty Crunchy Processed
- Pizza
- Bacon (Cooked medium to medium well, chewy, definitely NOT crispy, if I wanted it crispy I’d eat a piece of charcoal. )
(Yeah, I know, that’s 6. What’s wrong with 6? )
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Anything but fish soup. Yes, some people boil fish bones and drink it as soup. Stinks and tastes bad!!!
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:43 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
- No peppers ; red, green, yellow, whatever, they are an assault on the taste buds.
No bell peppers (capsicum) either?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
Pudding (the american kind) is disgusting, as are ripe bananas. When drinking a soda, admittedly a rare event, the soda can must be pre-chilled and poured into a glass 2/3 full of ice.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
You are not. My partner hates them and anything else green (mint ice cream might be the only exception I can think of).
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by KurtVH
I have an aversion to egg whites. I can eat eggs whites in scrambled eggs, especially if the eggs are scrambled "dry", but never on their own (either fried or boiled).
Me too. I don't like scrambled eggs, although I do eat egg mayo provided the egg is well mashed up. No objection to omlettes either.

I won't eat mushrooms on their own but I don't mind them as an ingredient provided they're either in big bits I can pull out or tiny pieces that are hard to detect - I like the taste but I can't stand the texture. Ironically frying mushrooms is one of my favourite smells.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:20 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
well I finally read this whole thread
Originally Posted by Stefferdoos
re: Cilantro
I too think it tastes like soap. I read a few months back its some genetic thing that causes some of us to get the soap taste and others don't.
you are correct, approx 20% of people think cilantro has a soapy taste.

Many have made statements that echo my own, I very much agree with the following:
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
As a native of the "north", I hate having to specifically ask for "unsweet tea" here south of the Mason-Dixon... (I am now Pavlovian trained and do so even north of it too, by habit) and then half the time, they still give you sweet tea. No sugar, no equal, no pink stuff... perhaps a fresh wedge of lemon is all it needs. Oh, lots of ice too. Iced tea isn't lukewarm tea.
Originally Posted by adelauro
OK, one more -- cheez whiz is not cheese, therefore should not be on a cheesesteak sandwich
Originally Posted by stut
Mild cheddar isn't cheese, it's a form of edible rubber. Give me crumbly, crystally, pungent
Originally Posted by MKEbound
If you come to dinner at my house, don't salt the food I present to you without tasting it first, it's insulting. Steak, hamburgers and brats should only be cooked on the grill. Outside Temperatures below 0 are not an excuse to skip this rule.
Originally Posted by Analise
8. A good hotdog has that snap.
Originally Posted by Duhey2
2) "New England" or "Boston" (an iteration usually found west of the Continental Divide) clam chowder shall NEVER, EVER contain carrots, pimentos, or any vegetables whose colors are found in the ROY(edited to add GBIV) part of the spectrum;

4) No Miracle Whip, ever
Originally Posted by seattletravelguy
No taco shells, ever. - ...taco shells are the anti-Christ. You just don't allow these outside forces into your home.
Originally Posted by stupidhead
26. Margerine is henceforth permanently banned from my kitchen.
Originally Posted by braslvr
Cold cereal MUST be eaten with a large (soup) spoon. It is impossible to attain the correct milk-to-cereal ratio per bite with a teaspoon. For this reason, I rarely ever eat cereal anywhere but home. It must also be eaten in small "batches" so it stays crispier.
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
If the people who maintain the restroom aren't smart enough to have a trash barrel inside the door, so I can open the door and deposit my paper towel, it goes on the floor. They'll get the message eventually.
Originally Posted by deniah
5. tilapia is not a 'real' fish.
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
No farmed or frozen shrimp from Thailand
not just from Thailand, no farmed shrimp from anywhere, only farmed seafood I eat (that I know of) are oysters or mussels.
Originally Posted by ale.penazzi
PS I always thought "well-done" was a compliment, not a a way to cook a steak..
Originally Posted by venice4504
Mashed potatoes must come from a potato, not a box.
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
If I'm in a restaurant, and lamb is on the menu, there's a 90% chance that's what I'm ordering.
Originally Posted by stupidhead
14. The recipe may be law, but they're still my groceries. As the cook, I reserve the right to include/exclude/modify the proportions of/substitute/improvise ingredients in any way I see fit.
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
16. Cold pizza is a perfectly nutritious and delicious breakfast.
Originally Posted by t325
I'm one of the few people who think the diet version of sodas tastes better than their non-diet counterparts. So no sugared up soda for me.
Originally Posted by jimbob
- Locally grown food when practical.

- Fresh food when practical.
Originally Posted by carpboy
13) Olives of any sort are banned. Olive oil is to be encouraged.
only olives that pass my lips is the olive tapenade on a muffuletta sandwich
Originally Posted by redbeard911
Meat goes on a pizza, vegetables go in a salad.
I will also add an additional caveat, if having pizza (thick or thin) in Chicago, that meat shall be Italian Sausage which is what most pizzas in Chicago are ordered with, NOT pepperoni (which is reserved for the rest of the U.S.)

Then there are statements that are downright wrong:
French fries are not worth eating without Ketchup.
what about frites mit mayo, or sometimes they are so good they don’t need anything added.
Originally Posted by 53flyer
2. Never eat anything black (black is nature's way of shouting "stay away!")
there’s a number of delicious black items: black beans, mole negro, blood sausage, etc.
Originally Posted by Analise
10. Never eat bagels outside the NYC metropolitan area.
bagels in Montreal are fantastic.
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
Or a Friday Fish Fry (as you can only get in the western NY area... I'm originally from near Olean).
(bolding mine) nonsense, There are amazing Friday Fish Fry in a number of locations, N Wisconsin being one of them.
Originally Posted by notsosmart
One simple rule, which works 95% of the time: no matter what the food, no matter where I am, if I apply myself, I can make it better myself.
you are one of 3 things: 1) have limited cuisine(s) that you cook 2) a liar (or delusional) 3) an AMAZING chef with quite a bit of #1 thrown in.
Originally Posted by KNRG
Meat in a salad can be good but it should not be hot/warm and introduced to an otherwise cold salad. Warm lettuce is gross.
a quick summer meal is a big salad with some fresh grilled meat put on it. I make a grilled lettuce dish that everyone I’ve made it for loves.
Originally Posted by braslvr
Everything else being equal, a hamburger will always be MUCH better with multiple thin (1/4 inch) patties than one thick one.
you are an In-N-Out fan, for me a thicker patty cooked no more than a medium rare trumps a thin patty, no matter how many thin patties you have.
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
Don't eat at a restaurant in a gas station.
Oklahoma Joe's in KC certainly is an exception as well as some Puerto Rican place outside Orlando (name escapes me) which made delicious mofongo or even some of the Iowa truckstops that make amazing pork tenderloin sandwiches.

Statement I'm most puzzled by:
Originally Posted by jimbob
- I don't like onions. I must love onion flavor because I love lots of soups and Indian dishes where it's the #1 or #2 ingredient, but I still avoid them when possible.
why avoid onions if you love onion flavor?

The statements I agree with most however are:
Originally Posted by happymob
4) Try anything local.
Originally Posted by Princess1
My travel rule is to eat local.
Originally Posted by General_Flyer
8. Eat what the locals eat
I'll do so even if this means going against what I normally like, ya never know what will be good.
Originally Posted by Jailer
My number one rule is, when travelling, none of the following rules apply; my number two rule is don’t be an assbite about it, and at parties/dinners, or whatever, eat what is served.
Amen !
Originally Posted by violist
As far as sharing and stuff, I feel it almost mandatory, and if you don't subscribe to this, tell me right away and I'll respect that
another Amen !
--
-
Old Aug 16, 2013, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
French fries are not worth eating without Ketchup.
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
what about frites mit mayo, or sometimes they are so good they don’t need anything added.
I stand by my original statement. And Ketchup means Heinz.

Not a big fan of the mayo and I find plain fries boring, as are baked without butter or sour cream and boiled or mashed without gravy (or, at a minimum, lots of butter).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.