Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your personal food rules.....

Your personal food rules.....

Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jackal
Not a fan of [the idea of] scrapple, either. Fortunately, there is a decent selection of fairly authentic Mexican restaurants not far from me.
I'm not a fan of scrapple. However, I do enjoy Mexican food.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:02 pm

Crunchy is always better.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
No American cheese....ever. The taste and texture are enough to make me gag.
I so totally agree. It's up there with Miracle Whip and margarine. There's no reason for it, provided the items they are imitating (mayonnaise, "real" cheese, butter) can be found. White bread is also in that category...oh, and fake pancake syrup - that's disgusting.

Next rule: Be willing to try absolutely everything (unless it is alive, totally unethical as I understand it, or its aroma induces vomiting).

I have tried eating mushrooms and drinking milk. I hope to get over the mushroom thing some point during my next 40 years (I keep hearing what I'm missing), but it will be a struggle. Milk - forget it.

What else...

=Steak in a restaurant is almost always disappointing (i.e., not as good as when my best friend grills it at home), or it's wicked expensive. I'll order something else.

=I'm a recent 50% transplant to the South. No sweet tea for me. Iced tea is best unsweetened. Lemon and mint are optional.

=I want milk in my coffee. I can't stand the way cream coats my tongue and the roof of my mouth. I'd rather have it black.

=While it's a welcome sign that my lettuce has been washed, I can't stand to be served a wet salad in a restaurant. Wet with water, not dressing, I mean.

=I had a strict no-hot dog rule, but then a local boutique charcuterie opened, and I've adjusted my rule to: no grocery store hot dogs.

there will be more.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by kdhith
=While it's a welcome sign that my lettuce has been washed, I can't stand to be served a wet salad in a restaurant. Wet with water, not dressing, I mean.
Ahh this one!! I agree fully, it is especially bad and highly pronounced in a taco salad and that seems to be some of the worst offenders (otherwise good mexican holes in the wall!)

Water soggy lettuce, and a 'wet chip' at the end, yuck!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kdhith
I so totally agree. It's up there with Miracle Whip and margarine. There's no reason for it, provided the items they are imitating (mayonnaise, "real" cheese, butter) can be found. White bread is also in that category...oh, and fake pancake syrup - that's disgusting.
Totally disagree - American cheese has one purpose and one purpose only: cheeseburgers. It melts perfectly and mixes well with the patty and most of the standard burger spreads. I'm a big fan of fancy cheeses, but I always order American cheese when it is offered with a burger.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier, SPG Plat
Eat at the dirtiest BBQ places.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rjque
Totally disagree - American cheese has one purpose and one purpose only: cheeseburgers. It melts perfectly and mixes well with the patty and most of the standard burger spreads. I'm a big fan of fancy cheeses, but I always order American cheese when it is offered with a burger.
Absolutely, though I still think the best grilled cheese and turkey/ham melts are made with American cheese. But otherwise, I agree with the other posters.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: krisflyer,aeroplan
i have no idea how i keep living here....

my "home" rules:

- no sandwiches not even fancy ones
- no raw veggies, not even salads
- no cold food or drinks until evening and even then I'll take a hot meal over a cold one
- no sour foods, including eastern NC bbq and vinegar based anything
- no fresh water fish, tilapia is sewer fish to me in particular
- seafood is preferred if it met its death in my kitchen by my hands
- no sirloin steak or cuts, tastes like blood/iron to me
- no margarine, canned whipped cream, american cheese
- no white meat chicken ever
- no farmed shrimp, tastes like dirty fish tank algae...so does chain restaurant lobster

my "travel" rules ( i travel to asia mostly)

- eat what locals eat where they eat.
- anything with pandan is going into my belly asap
- eat all the purple and green desserts ( most likely sweet taro and pandan based)
- if it looks like lava, eat it

I think I need to relocate.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:43 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
No American cheese....ever. The taste and texture are enough to make me gag.
No sauerkraut
No pickles
No coconut (the flavor is fine buts its the texture I hate)
Not a fan of capers or olives but I will tolerate them
Mayonnaise should be used sparingly
Steak should be cooked no further than medium
Hamburgers should not be well done, I'd still like to see some pink
I like bread to be warm or toasted
I don't like crinkle cut french fries. For some reason they always taste bland to me.
Food should be well seasoned. I will note that I always taste my food before adding additional seasonings. I think it is rude to the chef when people automatically add salt/pepper before tasting the food first.

I'm not a fan of hot drinks
I like my drinks well chilled
I highly prefer Coke but will drink Pepsi products...
Only Coke should be mixed with liquor... Pepsi is too sweet
I want to be able to taste the alcohol when I order a drink
I'm not sure what it is about mayonnaise (IMO it goes well, sparingly as you said, with club sandwiches/things with bacon). Shield your eyes though if your meal comes with a salad in China, or if you check out bakeries also in East Asia-mayo is well, and possibly even alive. And well. That part of the world mostly turned me off of the stuff.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:45 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SQmepls
i have no idea how i keep living here....

my "home" rules:

- no sandwiches not even fancy ones
- no raw veggies, not even salads
- no cold food or drinks until evening and even then I'll take a hot meal over a cold one
- no sour foods, including eastern NC bbq and vinegar based anything
- no fresh water fish, tilapia is sewer fish to me in particular
- seafood is preferred if it met its death in my kitchen by my hands
- no sirloin steak or cuts, tastes like blood/iron to me
- no margarine, canned whipped cream, american cheese
- no white meat chicken ever
- no farmed shrimp, tastes like dirty fish tank algae...so does chain restaurant lobster

my "travel" rules ( i travel to asia mostly)

- eat what locals eat where they eat.
- anything with pandan is going into my belly asap
- eat all the purple and green desserts ( most likely sweet taro and pandan based)
- if it looks like lava, eat it

I think I need to relocate.
I'm with you on the purple/green stuff, and dare I add king cake to your likely SEAsia-specific hyphenpoint?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
I'm not sure what it is about mayonnaise (IMO it goes well, sparingly as you said, with club sandwiches/things with bacon). Shield your eyes though if your meal comes with a salad in China, or if you check out bakeries also in East Asia-mayo is well, and possibly even alive. And well. That part of the world mostly turned me off of the stuff.
In china indeed.

I was eating at a rather nice restaurant, and we were with some locals, they ordered the fruit salad.

It came, with mayo all over it! I was appalled, but learned this is very common there. Those with my suggested that it may have been seen in the west to have some 'white stuff' on top being whipping cream, and so someone came back and put mayo on it thinking it was mayo, and started a countrywide trend....who knows for sure!

Here's a pic:
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: krisflyer,aeroplan
Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
I'm with you on the purple/green stuff, and dare I add king cake to your likely SEAsia-specific hyphenpoint?
I put king cakes on my list, I've yet to be disappointed with green and purple anywhere!

I think my se asia cravings have been seriously amplified by living on the east coast. Its even made me forget about the mayo in some asian food in the above post. That was rampant in korean owned sushi restaurants on the west coast, I couldn't get a piece of sushi without it being covered in sriracha and mayo.

Japan gave me the love of kewpie mayo, I'll happily take an okonomiyaki or pizza with kewpie mayo drizzled on it. I've never seen mayo in any chinese establishment though.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by rjque
There are very different grades of American cheese/"cheese"; the cheap, sweet stuff most places use is generally labelled "processed cheese food" or worse yet "processed cheese product" and both are (to my mind) only useful for a basic grilled cheese sandwich, and not good on burgers.

Better American (less sweet, higher cheese-to-not-cheese content, and actually labelled "processed cheese" without sales modifiers) is a bit more versatile, and I wouldn't turn it down on a burger if I knew that was what was being offered, although I'd rather have something better.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I know I'm in the minority, but as much as I love cheese, I don't like any type of it on burgers at all. If it's American cheese, I won't eat the burger period.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier, SPG Plat
Cheese - blue is the best and going in/on anything when it's an option.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.