Wiki Posts
Search

Your personal food rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:05 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by schwarm
Someone once told me that she wouldn't eat any animal that had feet. I immediately realized my rule: I won't eat any animal that had hands.
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I know people who won't eat anything which had a face.
I dated a guy who said he wouldn't eat anything that farts. Really makes you think.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:17 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
12. Squeezable mustard is a dumb idea.

13. I am really, really, really utterly uninterested in discussing what color order that M&Ms are to be eaten in. They taste exactly the same, whatever their color. But they must be eaten precisely two at a time.

14. Beer is always better than wine. And there is the added benefit that there are no "beer snots" endlessly nattering about bouquets and "just a hint of trout."

15. The best way to eat S'Mores is this: Gather graham crackers, marshmallows and Hershey bars. Then throw away marshmallows, throw away graham crackers and eat Hershey bar. Sing a camp song around the fire if that makes it taste better for you.

16. Coleslaw is an abomination. And on top of a chopped barbecue sandwich, hiding there beneath the top bun ready to assault the unsuspecting, it is to be anathematized. Verily.

17. Unsalted dry roasted peanuts are a waste on so many counts. "Lightly salted" ones are better than none at all, but only until the real thing is available.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
1. Steak must NEVER EVER be cooked past medium. If you cook my steak that way, take it back and start with a new one.
2. A scone with butter and jam is pathetic, it must have clotted cream.
3. Link sausages need to be mid priced, not the fancy expensive ones with too much meat in them or the cheap ones that have none.
4. A full english breakfast can't have baked beans on it.
5. Most pies go great with baked beans.
6. Chips (not crisps) must be slightly cripsy and chipped from a potato, NOT squeezed through a press and made into fries.
7. Kebabs can only be eaten after 5 pints.
8. Sweetcorn is versatile, it can go in salads, on pizzas, in chicken or tuna mayonaise sandwiches.
9. Fish is not, and shouldn't ever go on my pizza.

I'll Amen the other sentiments on No Tofu. Not ever.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 7:26 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by richard
eat real foods. No foods containing preservatives, additives, artificial colorings, etc.
I agree in principle although I occasionally make an exception for cokes. Meats should be hormone and antibiotic-free.

Hot tea must be made with real leaves (not bags) and boiling water and still be almost scaldingly hot when I drink it. Tepid tea is disgusting.

Bacon should be crisp.

I never eat ground beef unless I've seen the meat before and supervised the grinding (prefer to grind it myself when possible). I like my hamburgers very well done.

I enjoy rare beef (except for hamburgers), lamb, and duck breast. I want everything else (especially chicken) quite well cooked.

For the most part, I like hot foods hot (especially soups) and cold foods chilled. On the other hand, there are a lot of things (roast chicken, quiches, etc.) that are great at room temp.

I like sushi, but, that aside, prefer my fish grilled over charcoal (shrimp, too).
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:09 am

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
It appears many of us should seriously consider counselling for OCD....

Mine are relatively simple - a boon given my travels to the nether regions of the globe. I read many of the postings here and wondered how some of you could survive trips overseas.

1. I will not eat durian. I have tried it several times. I don't care that I've not tried it prepared "this way." I don't like it and don't have to eat it.
2. I will not eat "sea cucumber." I have tried it several times. I don't care that I've not tried it prepared "this way." I don't like it and don't have to eat it.
3. I will not eat "stinky tofu." I have tried it several times. I don't like it and don't have to eat it. Tofu prepared any other way I've tried is fine.
4. By the time it is served to me at the table, it must be dead. We can select it while it is still alive, and it does not necessarily have to be cooked, but it has to be dead. Faces, feet, eyes, etc. included in the table presentation are fine. I'll eat the parts I want.
5. If I say I have tried it before and do not care for it, I mean it. I appreciate that it is a delicacy in your country. I enthusiastically tried it. Once. I don't have to again. (Corollary to #1, #2 & #3).
6. Beer helps. Immensely. As does bottled water, cola and/or cha.
7. When you visit my country, I expect you to be as open minded to my "native" cuisine as I have been to yours. This particularly applies to visitors from Korea (most "resistant," yet insistent that you should "love" their food IME).
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
No ketchup but Heinz!

French fries are not worth eating without Ketchup.

Hamburgers aren't really worth eating unless they have a little raw onion on them (including ketchup, mustard, pickles at a minimum).

No pretend whipped cream (e.g., Cool Whip) - only freshly whipped cream.

No pastries that come wrapped in cellophane. They look gross and taste worse.

No pretend (out of a box) mashed potatoes. Most restaurants seem to have gone back to the real thing. ^

If it's not a real bagel (boiled, then baked), I don't want it. No "Wonder bread" bagels for me. A real bagel is crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside. If it is, there is also NO reason to toast it. If it's more than a day old, you may toast.

No lite or no fat cream cheese on my bagel.

Don't do the Greek diner thing and sprinkle my skirt steak with any oregano or other weird spices. Salt and pepper only - well, maybe a little wine or balsamic reduction.

Anything with cilantro, go easy with it -otherwise that is all you taste.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:25 am

1. Never eat anything that is bigger than your head.
2. Never eat anything black (black is nature's way of shouting "stay away!")
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by govmarley
--Nothing green (desserts/candy excluded, unless it tastes green, if that makes any sense)

OMG, finally someone who understands!!! People always look at me like I'm crazy when I say I don't eat anything that tastes green...

In my world, bell peppers are okay because they don't "taste green", but there shall be no lettuce, broccoli, peas, etc.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
Originally Posted by cblaisd
13. I am really, really, really utterly uninterested in discussing what color order that M&Ms are to be eaten in. They taste exactly the same, whatever their color. But they must be eaten precisely two at a time.

15. The best way to eat S'Mores is this: Gather graham crackers, marshmallows and Hershey bars. Then throw away marshmallows, throw away graham crackers and eat Hershey bar. Sing a camp song around the fire if that makes it taste better for you.
Absolutely agree with these two. I especially can't think of any good use for marshmallows.

Also, when drinking a soft drink from a paper cup, the cup should be grasped so that the seam of the cup aligns with my fingers.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:04 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Soup must be served so hot I can't eat it right away. I might let it cool to the point I want, but at least I know it was hot enough to begin with.

Tea must be served so hot I can't drink it right away. I might let it cool to point I want, but at least I know it was hot enough to begin with.

No one should handle raw meat/fish/poultry without gloves. Do you know how much bacteria can grow under your fingernails after you've touch those items?

Deli style sandwiches that include meat and cheese must have the items in the right proportion. I'm sick of place that think they are giving you a great value by having sooo much meat. The cheese, greens (sprouts if available please) mayo, bacon, etc. all must be in proper proportions.

Nothing should be dyed blue.

If you come to dinner at my house, don't salt the food I present to you without tasting it first, it's insulting.

Steak, hamburgers and brats should only be cooked on the grill. Outside Temperatures below 0 are not an excuse to skip this rule.

Leftovers over three day old are not to be eaten.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:28 am

Programs: Alaska, NW, AGR, much love for WN
Leftovers after two days should be not be eaten. Sometimes after one. And my husband won't eat any leftovers (beyond pizza).

If you come to dinner at my house, don't salt the food I present to you without tasting it first, it's insulting.
I second this. Please taste the food before adding salt and/or pepper. You might be pleasantly surprised! If, after tasting it, you still feel the need to alter the taste by adding salt and pepper, go for it. I don't mind. Just keep it away from my plate.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Great thread!

I've got more rules that can go into one post.

1. Pizza should only contain crushed tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil.

2. A tomato not grown in Italy is not worth using for cooking -- canned imported tomatoes a always better than fresh domestic ones for use in cooking.

3. Boar's Head is the only brand of cold cuts worth eating.

4. Roast beef for a roast beef sandwich must be rare and from Boar's Head.

5. A deli is not a real deli if its bread doesn't come from Arthur Avenue.

6. Mayonaisse is idsgusting unless it is Helmans, in which case it is the best condiment ever.

7. Dijon mustard is for cooking, not for sandwiches.

8. Vadalla onions are not for use in cooking. They are only meant to be served raw.

9. Ketchup should only be made by Heinz.

10. It is better to go without than to compromise of ingredients.

11. Light, reduced fat or fat free products are not allowed. Eat less of the real thing.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:57 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
One more thing; as others have posted bacon should not be limp or soggy
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Au contraire!

Originally Posted by cblaisd
10. While crisp bacon is better than no bacon at all, just-done limp bacon (insert own joke here) is perfect. Even better when cooked over charcoal. Not nearly so good when microwaved.
18. Crisp bacon, though, is better than faux or non-pork sausage. There are many wonderful, wonderful things that you can get for breakfast at a good Jewish style deli (Shapiros comes to mind but the sausage is not one of them. At such places hold the "sausage" [sic]

19. Little Debbie Oatmeal Cakes must be consumed by first eating all the edges, then the center. The center, though, may be disposed of on the generalized textural-contrast principle if you wish (which applies to many foods, not just ice cream).
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by janey
Absolutely agree with these two. I especially can't think of any good use for marshmallows..
Mallomars

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.