Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your personal food rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StudentExplorer
Ketchup does not go on a hot dog. EVER!!!!!
Sure it does. Right on top of the chili and coleslaw.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:46 pm

The two delis that I visit for lunch at work both have the annoying habit of putting the lettuce and tomato on my sandwiches under the meat. I always end up having to rearrange my sandwich such that the bread is on the bottom, then the meat, then the lettuce, then the tomato, and then the top piece of bread.

And no, it's not as simple as just flipping over the sandwich -- that doesn't work with a roll, which has a distinct top and bottom.

The "gourmet" sandwhich shop I sometimes visit makes my sandwiches with turkey, bacon, mixed greens, avocado and tomato. The order seems to vary every time, and I don't have the patience to properly rearrange all those things, so I just eat it as is. However, the avocado is always adjacent to one of the pieces of bread, so I always orient the sandwich such that the avocado is on top. Those sandwiches are always on sliced bread, so they can be flipped as necessary.

And that's just sandwiches...
Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:49 pm

Programs: Alaska, NW, AGR, much love for WN
I have a long list, but like I said in the other thread, I'm a picky pants.

--No onions of any color, shape or size. This is the #1 rule.
--Nothing green (desserts/candy excluded, unless it tastes green, if that makes any sense)
--Nothing orange (see exclusion above)
--No pepper/peppers of any color
--Condiments rarely accepted. Ketchup is fine in homemade BBQ sauce. Sometimes mayo/Miracle Whip, but usually only on a BLT (minus the L).
--Tomatoes are usually only acceptable if they are raw. And small, like a grape or cherry tomato. I rarely like red sauces (I think it's the spices, which are usually gross).
--Other food colors are considered on a case by case basis.
--Most, if not all, meats, breads and cheeses are A-ok. And potatoes.
--Corn must be a stand-alone food. It cannot be an ingredient in another dish, like a casserole or a soup. If corn is served, I either eat it all first, or last, so it doesn't touch other foods.
--I love chicken. Yummy!
--I love most breakfast foods.
--No tofu, or sushi. I will eat most fish, but it must be cooked thoroughly.

--Oddly enough, I like mushrooms. It seems most picky people hate mushrooms, but they are good with me.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:59 pm

Programs: CO Silver
'Plain' should be my middle name.

On a sandwich/hamburger:
I do not like mayonnaise
I do not like mustard
I do not like ketchup
I do not like tomatoes
I do not like onions
I do not like lettuce (leaf lettuce might be ok, provided it's not very vein-y)
I do not like CHEESE

It makes me so mad when I say 'hamburger, plain' only to be asked, 'Would you like cheese?' Do you not know what plain is?!?!?!? Of course, I often say 'add bacon!', so the confusion only deepens. It's so much easier to bring my lunch.

I do, however, like BBQ sauce.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:12 pm

It flies, it dies, it fries.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:13 pm

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
Food quirk wise, I think I'm better than I used to be a few years ago, but I think some of mine are a little bizarre...in no particular order:

1. I generally only eat cooked pasta if I cook it myself or watch it being cooked...I also like to munch on raw pasta as a snack sometimes, but see #4 for that...

2. Regarding chocolate candies like a Crunch bar or a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, I have to a.) buy them myself (no handouts from other people, even friends or family!), and b.) eat it within ~2 minutes of purchasing it or I cant bring myself to eat it at all

3. Perhaps my most bizarre quirk, but I can't watch people eat ice cream (obviously I don't like ice cream either ) it grosses me out for some reason I don't understand...its a bit awkward when eating out with other people who aren't aware of this quirk, and then they order ice cream and wonder why I am staring into my lap after they get their orders...

4. I can only eat certain foods in certain places...for instance, I love munching on raw pasta, but I can only do it at home on school vacations...when out at school, I don't do it at all...there are a couple of other foods like that but I think Ive weirded you out enough for one post

Last edited by N674UW; Jul 13, 2006 at 8:47 pm
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
-When I make oatmeal or Cream of Wheat, I make it w/whole milk. No water as described in the recipe on the side of the box/can. I won't even use 2% or skim. If that's all there is in the fridge, I use half skim milk and half 1/2 & 1/2.

-Bagels/toast must be very crispy. A bit burnt at the edges is best.

-I like my hamburgers w/cheap store-brand buns, ala $.99/bag of 8. When I have a burger, I want to taste the meat, not be overwhelmed by a huge-a** bun I can't even get my mouth around. If that's all we have, I'll run to the local store to get the cheapos.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
-Taste it before using the salt and pepper. The only exception is french fries, because they can never be too salty!
-Always butter, never margarine.
-Iced tea must not have any sugar or lemon added.
-nothing on my steak. I want to taste it, not the sauce.
-no raw onion on/in anything.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH_FLYER

It makes me so mad when I say 'hamburger, plain' only to be asked, 'Would you like cheese?' Do you not know what plain is?!?!?!? Of course, I often say 'add bacon!', so the confusion only deepens. It's so much easier to bring my lunch.
But there is the other end to this. Not that long ago, I ordered a Bacon Cheeseburger with only lettuce and mayonnaise. I didn't get bacon and I didn't get cheese. I took it back and she said that I only wanted L&M. I kind of thought the Bacon Cheeseburger part implied that I actually wanted the bacon and the cheese.

Generally, I am with on the plain thing. If you see me put steak sauce on a steak it is because it isn't any good.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I didn't have real mayonnaise until I left home and went to college. Man, I hated real mayonnaise with a passion for the longest time
How did you survive? I knew there was something wrong with you the first time we met in SAT.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:24 pm

Someone once told me that she wouldn't eat any animal that had feet. I immediately realized my rule: I won't eat any animal that had hands.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:25 pm

Programs: Alaska, NW, AGR, much love for WN
nothing on my steak. I want to taste it, not the sauce.
Oh, big ditto from me.

I can't eat tomato soup made with water--must be milk or nothing.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Ketchup (no mustard) on hamburgers, fries but not on eggs.
Mustard (no ketchup) on hot dogs. Add sauerkraut, onions and relish.
Corned beef, Pastrami -- Rye bread, mustard and nothing else.
No mayo on Tuna salad -- it already has mayo! No mayo on any sandwich, except maybe Turkey or a club.
No olives.
No strawberries.
No sour cream.
No bleu cheese, gorgonzola or the like.
No ranch dressing.
No coffee.
Soft boiled egg needs to be served with torn up pieces of toast and mushed up.
No cheeseburgers.
Pizza is better with anchovies.
Fruit is great, but bagels must not have fruit or anything sweet. Bagels should have onion, garlic, poppy seeds or sesame seeds -- or all of those.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by StudentExplorer
Ketchup does not go on a hot dog. EVER!!!!!

Eggs too!

I'd prefer crispy bacon with my eggs, not undercooked, limp bacon.

Would you mind a ripe tomato on my ... instead of one that's still not ripe.
Same rule for 'fresh' fruit. Why do < they > serve it unripe.

I wanted butter on my bagel, not a butter sandwich. (Think gobs. )

Oh honey, I'm tired of the undercooked chicken (again).

Starwood Lurker, really want to cut down, use lite mayo instead.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:41 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by schwarm
Someone once told me that she wouldn't eat any animal that had feet. I immediately realized my rule: I won't eat any animal that had hands.
I know people who won't eat anything which had a face.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.