Olive Garden [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Olive Garden [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
What I do notice in BHM, as I wander around the Summit, are all the thin middle aged blondes with with their noses in the air and a pinched look on their faces as if they perpetually smell something bad. I'd rather dine with the chubbies in Oxford.

Now THAT's funny! The ones that migrated down here all live in Fairhope...my wife calls them The Mercedes Ladies.

Next time you're there, though, notice one other thing. They all have small mouths, and you know what they say...
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dd992emo
What I do notice in BHM, as I wander around the Summit, are all the thin middle aged blondes with with their noses in the air and a pinched look on their faces as if they perpetually smell something bad. I'd rather dine with the chubbies in Oxford.

Now THAT's funny! The ones that migrated down here all live in Fairhope...my wife calls them The Mercedes Ladies.

Next time you're there, though, notice one other thing. They all have small mouths, and you know what they say...
My friend's family down on Ono Island call them the blue plates.

Now somewhere earlier someone suggested Bucca de Pepa as a place to get a good Italian meal from a chain. Bucca is good if you go with a group of 4 or more. It isn't really a good place to go if you are alone or with one other. The meals are just too big, and if I ate one whole "meal" there on a regular basis I would definately be a customer of size.

I don't have a problem with the chain restraunts or as I call them institutionalized slow food. The advantage they have is that I usually know what I am getting when I order the meal. It is the familiarity that makes them work. However, for a chain to work it is necessary to reduce the meals to the lowest common denominator. Thus you trade "authenticity" for consistency. Sure you can usually find a better local restraunt in almost any place, but sometimes when you are on the road in a strange place you don't want to risk it.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Originally Posted by Analise
Olive Garden is insult to Italian cuisine. Do what you can to get rid of them.
Hear Hear!

- HF
Old Mar 2, 2006, 3:38 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
To take this one step further.. Most, if not all, chain Italian places as well as the local pizzarias do not server real Italian food. They serve a version of special holiday meals.

If Italians actually ate Lasagne, baked ziti, or Carbonara regularly, they would have the same high level of cholesterol and heart disease as Americans do.

At home we only ate those high fat & calorie laden foods on holidays - as in once or twice a year at Christmas & Easter.
Fine with me, since I eat out at a "fake" Italian restaurant as often as there are holidays. @:-)
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:18 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
Olive Garden is great for the soup, salad & breadsticks.

Olive Garden certainly is not what I consider to be Italian food. Of course, I'm from Utica, New York (central New York area), where there are family-owned Italian restaurants on every corner, so I know what Italian food is suppose to be. I live in a small rural city at present, and they do not have an Olive Garden, but I know many people who are dying for one to locate here. These people, of course, are the ones who go to Ponderosa for a great steak dinner. There are a few family-owned Italian restaurants; some are okay and some aren't, but nothing like what I can get in my hometown.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:57 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Last time I went (actually it was take out) to Olive Garden was this past Valentine's Day

I can make better pasta than they do, but my wife didn't want to deal with a dirty kitchen (I am a rather messy cook )

The salad, dressing and breadsticks are good, pasta is OK, but I ordered dessert.

BIG MISTAKE

Their desserts taste like cold lard, very tasteless, and just plain awful

Next year I am cooking and hiring Merry Maids instead
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:41 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by Cookie Jarvis
^ I love their salads! I often eat at OG for lunch but mainly stick with soup and salad. It is not a restaurant I would choose for dinner. Those of you in NYC also need to remember that good Italian restaurants in many areas are few and far between if they even exist. Which might be the case here.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Food snob

Who cares? If you don't like it, then don't go. But dont' be a food snob with the hordes who do like it, even if you don't approve.

True Chinese food bears no resemblance to what is offered here. Americans buy what Americans like, and if it ain't exactly authentic.

It's clear that the community wants it and likes it, and is willing to pay for it. That means JOBS and all of the goodies associated with it.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by jfe
BIG MISTAKE

Their desserts taste like cold lard, very tasteless, and just plain awful
What did you order? Last visit, Mrs BamaVol ordered some sort of lemon cake. I snuck a bite and thought it was pretty good. I don't know that I've had anything else off their dessert menu.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:42 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by BamaVol
What did you order? Last visit, Mrs BamaVol ordered some sort of lemon cake. I snuck a bite and thought it was pretty good. I don't know that I've had anything else off their dessert menu.
Chocolate Lasagna
Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rrz518
Who cares? If you don't like it, then don't go. But dont' be a food snob with the hordes who do like it, even if you don't approve.
Sorry, but I can give my opinion just like Mary2e, tonypct, rec, and HobokenFlyer have. No TOS rules were broken. ^

True Chinese food bears no resemblance to what is offered here.
Speak for your own experience not everybody else. I don't know where you live but one can get the most authentic, and inexpensive Chinese food right in Flushing. I forgot....only "snobs" take the 7 to Flushing.

It's clear that the community wants it and likes it, and is willing to pay for it. That means JOBS and all of the goodies associated with it.
If you read all of my posts instead of a scattered few, you would know that I'm one of several here who questions why anyone would think that a community's offering tax incentives to any business can be deemed "immoral". If the town can make more tax revenue via incentive, more power to them.

Last edited by Analise; Mar 3, 2006 at 1:51 pm
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Cookie Jarvis

Olive Garden certainly is not what I consider to be Italian food. Of course, I'm from Utica, New York (central New York area), where there are family-owned Italian restaurants on every corner, so I know what Italian food is suppose to be. I live in a small rural city at present, and they do not have an Olive Garden, but I know many people who are dying for one to locate here. These people, of course, are the ones who go to Ponderosa for a great steak dinner. There are a few family-owned Italian restaurants; some are okay and some aren't, but nothing like what I can get in my hometown.
It's got to be the water, Cookie.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by rrz518

True Chinese food bears no resemblance to what is offered here. Americans buy what Americans like, and if it ain't exactly authentic.

rrz518, if I started a thread and stated that I just had the best BBQ I've ever eaten, right here in NYC, I think I'd get a ton of "food snobs" from the south and midwest who would jump all over me. And they would be right to do so, even if I did like the BBQ in NYC.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:05 pm

I love eating at Olive Garden. The soup and salad deal is the best. Service varies. Was there this past Sat and my 2nd bowl of minestrone soup had hardly anything in it for the 1st time. Experience mostly good. Best tiramisu as well. Some may not agreee but that's okay. Hope Olive Garden and your city can work something out.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW

Well said !!! I dispise them as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.