Wiki Posts
Search

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by audio-nut
Never.

I dislike their pre-cut meat (which is packed in goo), wilted veggies and odd smelling bread.
I agree. Subway is absolutely disgusting. Will never eat there again.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by audio-nut
Never.

I dislike their pre-cut meat (which is packed in goo), wilted veggies and odd smelling bread.
No different from the bottom of the deli meat packaging that the Jersey Mikes meats are packed in.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I actually like their tuna salad. But, I don't eat their iridescent meat.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:05 pm

I've never had a bad sandwich at Subway. But, then, I pretty much go to the same one each time. The ingredients have always been fresh and tasty and I've never noted a bad smell associated with the bread.

I like Jersey Mike's better though. And, I will occasionally go to Jimmy John's, but it is my least favorite of the three.

I would prefer a mom & pop grinder place over any of them, but they are rather thin on the ground around here.

YMMV, I guess.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
I would prefer a mom & pop grinder place over any of them, but they are rather thin on the ground around here.
Ditto. Where I grew up, the same family still runs a small local chain of maybe 3 shops. It's been a couple years but they were still delicious and fresh.

There is nothing like that where I live now. We have a good independent deli and a couple hot dog places but every sub place is a chain.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
There is a very limited chain here called Snarf's that serves up great oven-baked sandwiches.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:59 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Pa Kettle

YMMV, I guess.
An independent grocery store about 45 minutes from us makes subs to order. They offer 3 sizes of subs: 8-inch, 12-inch, and 16-inch. Mr. Kipper and I will split half of the 16-inch sub, because it contains something like 2 pounds of meat.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:14 am

There is a Subway in our office building so I do eat there about twice a month and it is always the 6" vegie delight on wheat with no cheese or mayo. It's always fresh and they are very generous with the fillings, but I'm still paying $5 for 25 cents worth of vegies.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lkeade
There is a Subway in our office building so I do eat there about twice a month and it is always the 6" vegie delight on wheat with no cheese or mayo. It's always fresh and they are very generous with the fillings, but I'm still paying $5 for 25 cents worth of vegies.
The last time I did that, same exact order, the vegies were seriously skimped so I paid $4 for ten cents worth of vegetables. I should have asked for twenty cents worth of tuna on top and paid the extra dollar.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
I wasn't impressed with Jersey Mike's when I was there years ago. Perhaps it is time to try it again.
Give it another try. I think it's way better than subway. Of course I love bacon on my sandwich and lots of theirs come with bacon. Subway is ok but tastes artificial to me....best thing about subway is they offer cilantro on their sandwich.
Fyi...and might just be my jersey Mikes but if you have dogs they will give you turkey scraps for the pooch for free. Just ask and you will walk away with a nice baggy of treats.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
As I've gotten older I have moved away from the bread-heavy subs - if someone in the group wants them I try to go to Publix, which has Boars Head ingredients served on choice of wrap.

Does anyone remember the K-Mart subs of the 1960s?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
As I've gotten older I have moved away from the bread-heavy subs - if someone in the group wants them I try to go to Publix, which has Boars Head ingredients served on choice of wrap.

Does anyone remember the K-Mart subs of the 1960s?
If I'm looking for a sub at Publix, I'll have them make me a mojo chicken. Delicious.

I had no idea KMart had subs. Blue mold special?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by BamaVol
If I'm looking for a sub at Publix, I'll have them make me a mojo chicken. Delicious.
They also use Boars Head Pepperhouse Gourmaise on their BH subs, which to me is the perfect condiment:

http://boarshead.com/products/condim...ouse-gourmaise

I had no idea KMart had subs. Blue mold special?
Surprisingly they were OK in that they were put together in the stores every day and sold in high volume. They were small so they sold them by the bag, which was popular for buying for the whole family.

It was not a place to ask for custom orders, you either bought the standard item or simply didn't buy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kmar...AP-EFWN40hM%3A

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 31, 2016 at 6:23 pm
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:18 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by corky
Give it another try. I think it's way better than subway. Of course I love bacon on my sandwich and lots of theirs come with bacon. Subway is ok but tastes artificial to me....best thing about subway is they offer cilantro on their sandwich.
Fyi...and might just be my jersey Mikes but if you have dogs they will give you turkey scraps for the pooch for free. Just ask and you will walk away with a nice baggy of treats.
I don't often give my dogs scraps like that, as it can cause some digestive issues.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
A couple times a year I get a craving for those gas station subs. You know the ones sealed in heavy duty plastic with the 2 month expiry date? You hafta nuke them in the microwave and smoother them in 8 packets of French's mustard to make them tolerable. Can't believe I just confessed this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.