Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by forecheck
I was pretty dissapointed when that 6 inch sub had just 3 thin slices of turkey.
Too true. My son, who normally gets the warm chicken breast sandwich, misordered the other night and got roast turkey instead. When we got home I had to convince him that there was any meat in there at all. It was almost invisible and definitely tasteless.

I think the "oven-roasted" chicken breast, no cheese, all veggies, and a little mustard or ranch is the only way to go. I can never taste the paltry amount of cheese they put on there, so there's no point in eating it. And the cold cuts (roast beef, ham, turkey) all taste the same to me. The "sweet onion chicken teriyaki" or "Tuscan chicken" come out gloppy and soggy, especially if they stay in the bag for awhile. The Subway chicken Parmesan is terrible. I agree that Quiznos sandwiches come in more varieties and many taste better, but I find most of them too big, complex, soggy/moist and expensive.

Subway service quality is all about the individual franchisee. The store nearest to our house (about a mile) is always a mess: they're out of half the breads and some veggies, there is waste food littered everywhere, the soda machine is broken, one surly teenager behind the counter screwing the orders up, etc. We drive an extra 1.5 miles to a store run by a better owner.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I love Subway. Sure, it's not haute cuisine, but it does the trick for me at least once a week when I'm in a hurry and don't want meal-o-grease. I don't think I've had a *bad* experience there (knock wood).
Old Jan 28, 2006, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

"Good" is relative. The greatest Subway sub I've ever had was in Seoul, after living on Korean food for weeks.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:09 pm

Programs: Hotels.com
yes, "a little" does not work

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Be very specific when ordering. When i'm getting a sub, I say things like "one short line of mayo" or "only two shakes of pepper", not "a little" or "some".
I'll have to try being more specific. In general, subway makes a good sub, IMHO.

Last edited by Bogey90; Jan 30, 2006 at 3:13 pm
Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:24 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jpdx
"Good" is relative. The greatest Subway sub I've ever had was in Seoul, after living on Korean food for weeks.
Just goes to show that tastes are truly different. I love Korean food and look forward to working in Korea. On the other hand, there isn't enough money in the world to entice me to try another Subway. Bleh!

To each their own! I'm with a couple of the original posters, I like Quiznos, Togos and a couple others, but fail to see where there is any taste in a Subway store.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:34 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
I guess tastes - and franchisees - must differ ... my one try at Quizno's
yielded a sandwich that I'd have been inclined to send back if I got it
on an airplane -

so I ended up at Quizno's (might as well try it once).
Not great - the whole-wheat bread (got this to be virtuous)
was like brown Wonder, the chicken (got this to be virtuous)
tasted like cardboard, and I told them to hold the cheese,
but when I was biting into the second half of the sub, I
found that they hadn't held the cheese, but rather it (and
some bacon) had fallen to the bottom. Aside from the onions,
I'd say that the food had that elusive negative flavor,
where once you've taken a bite, you wonder whether you
were tasting anything or not. I was also seduced by a bag
of Miss Vickie's potato chips, which have this cute
limited-run appearance, but it turns out which are made by
Frito-Lay: they were pleasantly thick-cut but also rancid.
$1.49 for an ounce and change, which puts it well into the
luxury food category.

Next time, it's the little place or go hungry.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:04 am

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
One of my biggest problems with Subway is the bread. It's soft, it's mushy, it's not bread. A "Sub" should be made with a good Italian bread, not some Wonder Bread clone. Give me a good Bread with Oil and Vinegar dressing, no mustard, no mayo (that's like putting ketchup on a hot dog). I'm lucky that I have a small family owned Italian Deli - Tony's - just a few blocks from my house. Ironically, there is a Subway just a half a block away that seems to be making money Best sub in Chicago? The subshop just across the street from Lane Technical High School.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I'm with the "Subway? Yuck!" crowd. I haven't eaten at Subway in many, many years, because I found their bread tasteless, their portions of meat and cheese too skimpy and also tasteless (and yeah, I know you can pay extra and get more of that tasteless "meat" ), and I tried more than one shop before coming to the conclusion that they're a place that I want to avoid.

On the other hand, I have had lots of good experiences with Quizno's. They use higher-quality ingredients and more generous portions. You get what you pay for.

I used to frequent Togo's as well, but job changes have made it now several years since I was in one. Their bread isn't spectacular (big starchy tasteless rolls), but otherwise they are OK. However, they were acquired by a large food company some years back, so I don't know if they've maintained the same standards.

One dark horse candidate that hasn't been mentioned is Safeway. My local branch (one block from my house) has a deli that makes truly excellent subs; their combos are especially good, though of course you can just order a sandwich with your own preferred ingredients. My only complaints there are 1) although the sandwich-makers are friendly enough, they are the slowest sandwich-makers in the universe; and 2) if you get there too late (say midafternoon or later), they have run out of the good breads and only have boring ones left. So, go early, and be patient.

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Feb 3, 2006 at 11:07 pm
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:15 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I am not a sub-snob, I actually enjoy them

I like the steak and cheese, with mustard, lettuce , tomatoes, pickles with pepper jack cheese and chipotle sauce on honey oat bread.

Toasted.

Hey, I am mexican, and I enjoy taco bell once in a while
Old Feb 4, 2006, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by balima
I'm lucky that I have a small family owned Italian Deli - Tony's - just a few blocks from my house. Ironically, there is a Subway just a half a block away that seems to be making money
Tony's on Northwest Highway, probably 6600 north? Yes, they make a very good sub. I keep on forgetting that I can stop in there to pick up something when I get a 4pm flight out of ORD.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:31 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Tony's on Northwest Highway, probably 6600 north? Yes, they make a very good sub. I keep on forgetting that I can stop in there to pick up something when I get a 4pm flight out of ORD.
Tony's makes the best mufaletta in Chicago ^ , thread on Tony's from the Chicago Forum: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308626
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Subway has improved their subs from the past. I now no longer get those soggy/wet breads that I used to.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
No.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by balima
One of my biggest problems with Subway is the bread.
au contraire mon cher! Gimme the 6" parmesean herb bread loaded with BMT+cheese, plenty of veggies, and a sprinkle of salt & pepper. Too often I've had BamaVol's problem of not getting a "little" mayo or mustard, so now I just go without. I even tried asking for little thin lines of mayo and spicy mustard but the tips of their squeeze bottles are cut too wide and just cannot deliver a thin stream.

This thread gives me a serious craving for an oyster or shrimp po-boy. Has Bozo's in Pascagoula reopened yet? Best wishes on the weight loss!
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:21 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
The only one I like is the (grilled) chicken breast sandwich. At least you get a good amount of chicken along with everything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.