Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2006, 3:35 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
and don't take a good look at the meats that Subway uses.

I used to sell deli meat and can assure anyone that what Subway uses is JUST BARELY considered meat, most of it is water.

Certainly not the quality that I'm going to purchase when buying a deli sandwich.

--
Too true! My husband won't eat at Subway. Says they have "rainbow" on their meats.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 3:50 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Give me a Quizno's sub anyday over a Subway sub too I say. Agree that the service and quality of Subway is incredibly variable as well - have one across the road from my office that I won't touch, terrible service and they somehow manage to butcher even the simplest orders. Whereas the one near my house is consistently friendly and provides tasty subs (well as tasty as a Subway sub can be - and at midnight in my area, it's either that, McDonald's, or a 'quality' kebab ).
Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:36 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
My local subway is happy to make my sub just how I like it.

Italian BMT with double meat, double Old English cheese, and the only salads I want are Olives and Jalepenos. I want Olive Oil and lots of salt - that's it.

mmmm salt.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:06 pm

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cordelli
When I use to eat there, I always got a tuna with pickles, olives, and cheese. Don't know why, but I totally loved that sub.
I like the tuna as well, but I've noticed that it varies from location to location. When it's good, it's really good.

I also like the meatball, but I don't consider it very healthy.

I haven't had a sub at Quizno's yet that I like.

Steve
Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:07 pm

As a native Philadelphian, I remain incredulous that Subway sells any sandwiches to anyone.I need an even smaller font to continue...
Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:19 pm

ditto schwarm. How they do any business here just boggles the mind.

Last edited by jehu; Jan 27, 2006 at 8:20 pm Reason: mispelled name
Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
and don't take a good look at the meats that Subway uses.

I used to sell deli meat and can assure anyone that what Subway uses is JUST BARELY considered meat, most of it is water.

Certainly not the quality that I'm going to purchase when buying a deli sandwich.

--
Kind of like going to Arby's for a beeflike sandwich.

Tuna is the only thing I eat there.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:32 pm

mmmm...*drool*...a beef-like sandwich (a la Homer Simpson)
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
Here in Australia, we have both Subway and Quiznos in sydney.i have never had a sub at quiznos as they are priced quite expensive compared to subway. Generally i find that subway sandwiches are ok. I have had friends who tried quiznos and they have felt that quiznos sandwiches are sometimes smaller than subways so in terms of vaue, here in aussie, we do have an opinion that subway is better.

Im not sure about the comments made in the posts so far but it seems that quality of the sandwiches are quite variable in the USA. Subs are healthy depending on what you order to put in them. If you order one with lots of mustard or fatty sauces and meats, obviously its not very healthy?
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Subway Club Sub, everything but jalapenos (and, now, cucumber). Salt, pepper, mayo, oil and vinegar.

Only do it about 5 times a year, but they actually have known what I wanted when I walk in the door (same owner, 12+ years!).

Maybe not the best, but my other local joints are McD's and Taco Bell.

Yeah, not a lot of meat, but filling and good (IMO).

Not quite as good when on the road.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:21 am

Havn't had a great sub but Subway is edible and makes up a few lunches per month for me.

Quiznos I didn't really like, but they are fairly new in Australia and will have to try them again one day.

I think subs are generally healthy. Subway keeps their stores clean, and the food is fresh. I've always been impressed with the hygiene shown by Subway staff (even down to them changing gloves between subs, and having seperate cashiers).

Much better than a pie or burger or similar health wise methinks.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:15 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Kind of like going to Arby's for a beeflike sandwich.
OMG !!!!

I used to work at Arbys a LONG time ago. Back then the stores still all cooked off their own meat (I don't know if they still do).

The raw "meat" product back then was a bag filled with mostly filler (meat slop and meat byproducts) with a few real chunks of beef floating in this mess of filler, as it cooked the whole thing became a lump of cooked beef.

As Arbys has tried to cut costs since I used to work there, one can only imagine that there are fewer of those real meat chunks than before. SCARY !!!!

--
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Cookie Jarvis
Too true! My husband won't eat at Subway. Says they have "rainbow" on their meats.
All the meats on the cold cut are turkey based (I forget what specific meats those are), so basically your cold cut is a turkey sandwich.

As for the rainbow colors, I've seen this on other lunch meats before. In one case, I called Boar's Head about this and they said the rainbow color was normal and safe to eat.

I can't blame your husband, however, for being grossed out.

Last edited by runnerwallah; Jan 28, 2006 at 9:58 am Reason: Forgetting the word "not" means a lot!
Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I am always sometime went out eat for lunch at Subway. I am always ate with roast beef or ham sub. Sometime they will cut with the sub for me. I will able get some time for lunch outside PV Mall or inside at the mall. Does anyone about Subway will given them out new sub. I don't mind that I will get more times goes out for lunch.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:30 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I'm a big fan of Quiznos: They don't scrimp on the meat and cheese, like Subway does, and something about they way they toast their subs versus the way Subway does it seems to make a huge difference.

That said, there are two Subway shops right on my campus strategically placed near my classrooms and office, and at $2.49 for the daily 6-inch special it's hard to resist when I'm on the run (which is like every freaking minute).

As for Subway's claim about being part of a diet regime they are awfully good at portion control. Nothing wrong with a little squiggle of mayo, and mustard has almost no calories. Subway is good about piling on the veggies, pickles, peppers, etc. I will give them that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.