Community
Wiki Posts
Search

They don't take Amex -- What do you do?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:21 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cyberdad
I think the reason Amex is the card of choice for business travellers is simply because life on the road is full of surprises. The "no pre-set spending limit" generally eliminates at least one of those.
This is one of the main reasons I refuse to use Amex. I've had more problems with them refusing a charge until they speak with me. I used to charge $25,000/month when traveling internationally. I finally told my employer that I would use my own Visa as a result of the AMEX problems and now do so two employers later. I hate Amex.......but of course you are probably already aware of that by now!
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rkt10
Well, I prefer to use AMEX, but if a vendor doesn't accept it, I pull out the MC which gathers AA miles. Little by little I am acruing miles there.

But I also believe that the restaurants have (or should have) folded the fees into the price of the meals already. So I do feel it's cheap.
Rita
Same here. I'll use my AA MC to get the miles, but always try to use my AMEX card first.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I have a corporate AMEX and can't remember the last time I used it.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:46 pm

Programs: HH Gold
I took the wise advice of many FTers and got the SPG amex about a month ago. I finally ran into my first place that doesn't take it. When I went into my favorite pizza place / watering hole, I noticed a tech in there installing a new POS system. When it was time to pay, I handed over the SPG card (which they gladly took 2 weeks ago). The waitress qickly returned with the card and said they didn't take amex. I looked on the way out the door and they had already taken the sticker off. I like my local pizza place enough that I'll still go there, but I will definately mention it to the manager next time I'm in. This place primarily caters to the college crowd at night, so probably not many amex users there. However, there might be more than a few during the day who do use it.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
If they don't take AMEX, I pay with my Visa and don't think twice about it.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:44 pm

Programs: American EXP, Hilton Diamond
Old Nov 3, 2005, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I think this question is probably more appropriately answered by people who have a corporate amex account...whereas I have a personal account.

The amex that I use most frequently is the Costco TruEarnings Amex that earns 3% on dining, always. No limit. Sometimes Discover will run promos (like Oct/Nov) where restaurant dining will earn 5%, max at $500 spent or $25 reward. Then I'll break out my Discover card. (I've got 2, so I can double my reward before it maxes out.) Anyway, I was just at Mortons with a $300 bill and nope, they don't take Discover. And I was saving for that one too. Was bummed, but broke out my Amex instead. Not a big deal.

Doesn't influence my decision to eat or not eat at restaurant unless they don't take credit at all...I don't like paying for anything in cash if I don't have to...in fact I used to drive across down to Jack In the Box because they take CC's and McDonalds and BK don't.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
If the restaurant or store I went to didn't take my Amex, I will likely post a negative or suggestion comment on their Facebook/Yelp/etc page.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
My corporate card is a Visa. My personal cards are all Visa and MasterCard except 1 AmEx that I only use to buy tix on DL. I would not even notice that a store or restaurant doesn't take AmEx.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I can deal with small businesses not taking Amex - although I suspect my CSR costs them almost as much.

What really tees me off are businesses that are cash only, and have an ATM for my 'convenience'. Seriously, they won't pay a 20-25 cent commission on my $10 order, but will gleefully accept $2-$3 for me to use their ATM.

Maybe this has nothing to do with the credit card commissions and more to do with keeping revenue off the books and tax returns...
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:09 am
Suspended

Another alternatives for paying with AMEX at small restaurants that don't take it is to use one of the online/mobile Food delivery/order services that offer a "pick-up" option like Foodora and Just-Eat which let you pay the order through their service using AMEX
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:54 pm
Suspended

If they don't take Amex, I use a VISA or MasterCard or a Discover card. Really no big deal at all.

I can't imagine not patronizing a perfectly good establishment that I would otherwise choose to, just because they don't accept 2 of the ~8-10 cards in my wallet. OTOH, if they won't take ANY credit card, and only accept cash, I very well might pass on them unless they were somehow exceptional relative to other choices.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
If they don't take Amex, I use a VISA or MasterCard or a Discover card. Really no big deal at all.

I can't imagine not patronizing a perfectly good establishment that I would otherwise choose to, just because they don't accept 2 of the ~8-10 cards in my wallet. OTOH, if they won't take ANY credit card, and only accept cash, I very well might pass on them unless they were somehow exceptional relative to other choices.
This makes sense with the rider that, if it's a high margin place, then I would expect them to take Amex. If they don't (and let's be realistic, it's a positdecision not to) it shows a disdain for the convenience of their customers and I knock half a star off any review.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This makes sense with the rider that, if it's a high margin place, then I would expect them to take Amex. If they don't (and let's be realistic, it's a positdecision not to) it shows a disdain for the convenience of their customers and I knock half a star off any review.
I'd knock 1 star (in 5-star rating scale) if they didn't take AmEx
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Wow. This thread was dead for nearly 12 years until unearthed recently. Where do people find these? I mean, do people search and then say, "Hmm, 352 results, I wonder what the LAST one is. I'm'a click over to page 24 in the list here...."

Anyway... My answer today about Amex is the same as it was in 2005. It's a minor pain when a business doesn't take Amex. Knowing that Amex doesn't have the same acceptance as Visa/MC I always carry at least one of the others in my wallet. At worst I miss out on whatever category bonus I want to earn on an Amex and must settle instead for a lesser bonus on my #2 choice card.

I get that this can be more of a nuisance for some people. For example, if I were traveling on business with instructions to use a company Amex card, using a personal Visa/MC could add an extra step or two to the expense claims process. I could well see choosing a different restaurant-- assuming an alternative that takes Amex is nearby-- to avoid the difficulty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.