Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you like your steak?
Rare
13.68%
Medium rare
64.21%
Medium
14.74%
Medium well
5.26%
Well done
1.05%
I don't eat steak
1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JillCheung
i used to be a medium rare man and now am firmly medium
Used to be medium rare myself, now medium.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Used to be medium rare myself, now medium.
I am almost to that point as well when eating out but it is because more and more, medium is the new medium-rare and medium-rare comes out rare.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by maortega15
Probably the beef I get from a widespread chain like outback or applebees.
If you normally order medium-well, I'd stick to that with those, and next time you want a splurge dinner, go to a good local steakhouse (Harris's would be my recommendation here in the Bay Area; Keen's back in New York[*]... Ruth's Chris if you need a national chain, I'm sure others can make recommendations for other places.)

Then try that medium, or even medium-rare.

[* or by reputation Peter Luger, although I've never managed the timing for it. ]
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:27 pm
Sup

I normally choose well done, but last time I ordered that at Dave & Buster's, there were still some burnt pieces.. So, I will try medium-well next time lol
Old Mar 16, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Steak

I was a medium/well done person. Maturity aka getting old sees me ordering them rare.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Sup
I normally choose well done, but last time I ordered that at Dave & Buster's, there were still some burnt pieces.. So, I will try medium-well next time lol
If end up eating burnt pieces is not healthy at all.. too much of it is a carcinogen.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat., HHonors gold, IHG Plat., Accor gold, IC Amb, Hertz #1 club, Sixt plat.
Originally Posted by braslvr
I am almost to that point as well when eating out but it is because more and more, medium is the new medium-rare and medium-rare comes out rare.
Can agree on that. Same experience twice in Germany.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Dined with my wife at Morton's in WP the other night. I have to say - it was a great meal. While Morton's isn't my favorite steak house, I've found the one near my home to be very, very good. The service is excellent, the food is prepared to my specifications (i.e., my idea of medium-rare is exactly their idea of medium-rare) and I find it to be reasonably priced.

Of course, it didn't hurt that they sent me a $100 gift card for my b'day as part of the VIP benefit. But, even if they hadn't, I'd still find my way there a few times a year.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by braslvr
This was true with my wife's fish yesterday (sorry a bit off the steak).. ordered it medium and was supposed to be cooked right through, but was raw in the center.

We're going to do Ruth's Chris prime time tonite on the Big Island in Mauna Lani.. Got a free appy coupon as well.. A double take.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:24 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
This was true with my wife's fish yesterday (sorry a bit off the steak).. ordered it medium and was supposed to be cooked right through, but was raw in the center.

We're going to do Ruth's Chris prime time tonite on the Big Island in Mauna Lani.. Got a free appy coupon as well.. A double take.
Nothing worse than unexpected Sushi.

Ruth's Cris is always a good choice IMO. As is Morton's, or Shula's.

My favorite STEAK HOUSE has to be St. Elmo's in Indianapolis. I just love it. As a matter of fact, I'll be in Indy in a few weeks and I'll definitely stop for a Steak (and I'm not a steak eater) and their signature Shrimp Cocktail. The cocktail sauce could strip furniture, but I love it!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:25 am

I like mine slightly red on the inside but not drippping with blood like a few medium rares steaks I have had. Normally at a good restaurant a medium will comne up just as I like it but it is a bit hit and miss.

This is link to a 4OD (UK only) show starring heston blumenthal on how to cook a steak for anyone that is interested. I haven't actually got round to watching it yet but was highly recommended to me.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/h...on/4od#3296447
Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
Originally Posted by ScottC
100% totally and uttterly well done. Not a spot of red inside. Amazing that some of the high-class steak joints don't seem to be able to perfom that simple task.
Ha ha, but I get how they feel. They think it completely kills the taste of the steak so it is hard for them do that to a piece of meat even when the guest requests it.

I like medium rare and I really like when the restaurant confirms it by saying, "so by medium rare you mean a cool, pink center" or however it is that the restaurant defines medium rare just so I know we are on the same page.

I'd rather have my steak underdone so I can send it back for more time, than overdone where there is nothing you can do.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
Originally Posted by nkedel
If you normally order medium-well, I'd stick to that with those, and next time you want a splurge dinner, go to a good local steakhouse (Harris's would be my recommendation here in the Bay Area; Keen's back in New York[*]... Ruth's Chris if you need a national chain, I'm sure others can make recommendations for other places.)

Then try that medium, or even medium-rare.

[* or by reputation Peter Luger, although I've never managed the timing for it. ]
I'll take Alfred's in San Francisco, Del Frisco's or Fleming's for a national chain and Keen's in NYC if you can't get to Peter Luger.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by JeremyS1973
Ha ha, but I get how they feel. They think it completely kills the taste of the steak so it is hard for them do that to a piece of meat even when the guest requests it.
Bull. A business doesn't "feel" anything, and if they can't get it right, it's either a matter of unprofessionality or laziness on the part of the kitchen staff. Either way, it will really come down to a matter of not getting enough of those requests from customers who CARE about a good well-done steak for it to be in the management's interest to make sure they get it right.

I'd rather have my steak underdone so I can send it back for more time, than overdone where there is nothing you can do.
Well, if they've fouled it up badly enough, you can get a new steak and start over...

Originally Posted by JeremyS1973
I'll take Alfred's in San Francisco, Del Frisco's or Fleming's for a national chain and Keen's in NYC if you can't get to Peter Luger.
I haven't tried Alfred's; thanks for the recommendation.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
Nothing worse than unexpected Sushi.

Ruth's Cris is always a good choice IMO. As is Morton's, or Shula's.

My favorite STEAK HOUSE has to be St. Elmo's in Indianapolis. I just love it. As a matter of fact, I'll be in Indy in a few weeks and I'll definitely stop for a Steak (and I'm not a steak eater) and their signature Shrimp Cocktail. The cocktail sauce could strip furniture, but I love it!
So.. you like Ruth's Chris eh?

I was wondering since you're a fitness buff.. what you thought about Ruth's method of preperation, and their use of butter?

I had a nice Ribeye at Kiawe restaurant by the volcano last night. Medium came out perfect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.