Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you like your steak?
Rare
13.68%
Medium rare
64.21%
Medium
14.74%
Medium well
5.26%
Well done
1.05%
I don't eat steak
1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:30 pm

My oldest son ask's em to wave a flouescent light over the meat and it will be perfect...
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Had Filet Mignon last night.. I asked for Medium and it was perfect.^
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA PM
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
My oldest son ask's em to wave a flouescent light over the meat and it will be perfect...
I might have to steal that.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:56 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
Originally Posted by snaporaz
I might have to steal that.
+1 ^

I prefer black and blue but most places can't do that, so I ask for rare which usually arrives medium rare in most instances. I don't like my steak cooked any further than that.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by uk1
For those that are interested in such things .... she didn't know how to "complete" the steak ..... neverthteless her first attempt at sous vide steak ...

It'll take 24 hours to cook and look like leather. But could this be the best steak you'll ever eat?
Wow, this is clearly someone who has no idea what she is doing, and should NOT be writing an article or anything on food related or cooking related subjects. I can understand people not liking something, or having their own opinion, but being ignorant of the subject and not knowing the facts is not acceptable for someone trying to be journalistic. Sous Vide is a very good style of cooking for some things, not everything. Just like grilling isn't good for eggs, and baking isn't good for steaks, sous vide is a technique that works extremely well for purposes that it matches well with.

Sorry if I come off a little strong, but it infuriates me when people do not care enough about something to learn before posting a "professional" journal article about the subject.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
The concept of overly seasoning or saucing meats is a very very strange for a 200% carnivore Argentine, so please forgive my question and thanks for sharing your views... ^
So how does chimichurri fit into this picture?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nerd
So how does chimichurri fit into this picture?
Love the chimichurri.. had it at Mayakoba with my Ribeye.. exactly what was missing with the Filet Mignon..

Had the Filet Mignon a second time since posting on this thread.. beautiful piece of meat
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tuffy
Sous Vide is a very good style of cooking for some things, not everything. Just like grilling isn't good for eggs, and baking isn't good for steaks, sous vide is a technique that works extremely well for purposes that it matches well with.
Doesn't the author of the article pretty much say the same thing in closing?

It's not clear what your issue is with the article. It didn't appear to me that she was pretending to know more than she actually does - she was simply tinkering around with a new technique and decided to write about it. That was my take, anyway...
Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
This thread is absolutely making me salivate... So badly want to head to my local Ruth's Chris.

Me: medium rare minus. If they err either way, I'd MUCH rather it come to me rare (which I'd happily eat) than if it was medium rare. I absolutely detest it when a restaurant brings me a medium steak when I ask for 'medium rare but err on the side of rare if anything.' seems to happen waaaay too often nowadays.

Generally just like it salt/peppered but am quite happy with a melted pat of butter or some bearnaise on it.

Last edited by PSUhorty; Nov 7, 2011 at 6:00 pm
Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HHonours, IHG Rewards, Best Western
I can't cope with anything rare or below, I lilke my steak cooked a bit more and will usually go for medium plus or medium well done.

This thread does remind me of a time in one of the top Steakhouses in Hong Kong. When the waiter asked my mate how he'd like his steak he looked him in the eye and with a straight face said "In a baguette"
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:06 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Had Filet Mignon last night.. I asked for Medium and it was perfect.^
No it wasn't. Perhaps for you, but not for me. And that's okay. Someone has to eat those overcooked steaks I send back.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lili
No it wasn't. Perhaps for you, but not for me. And that's okay. Someone has to eat those overcooked steaks I send back.
You mean, people in the back actually eat steaks that are sent back? Wow..
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
a guy from Calgary Alberta that eats a steak ... medium, sacrilege !!!!!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ricski64

Had a Rib eye medium tonite.. and a skillet of sizzlin mushrooms.. for dessert Cinnamon buns in a pan with a scoop of icecream.. mmm..
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ricski64
I concur! I'm from Ottawa and had Alberta beef for the first time this year while working in Edmonton and it is to die for! I prefer rare, nothing more. Also a big fan of steak tartar and beef tataki

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.