Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

View Poll Results: How do you like your steak?
Rare
13.68%
Medium rare
64.21%
Medium
14.74%
Medium well
5.26%
Well done
1.05%
I don't eat steak
1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Old Aug 31, 2011, 1:06 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
Love the picture you posted, uk1! ^
Originally Posted by Yuengling
I understand variation between restaurants, but I dislike ordering the same steak from a single restaurant and getting vastly different temperatures. I generally order medium and am okay with anything along the medium rare to medium well continuum.
Thanks.

I promise you that within a few years - they will be a part of the menu once more steak places use a combination of sousvide and flash finish either skillet or grill. And every one will be perfect henceforth. No more steak lottery.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bpo26c
That is why I started ordering medium well.
I don't mind medium well as well.. but at places like Ruth's Chris, it ends up too blackened for my liking

Originally Posted by CMK10
Love the picture you posted, uk1! ^
Agreed.. how did you get the nice cropped white look around the steaks?

Originally Posted by uk1
Thanks.

I promise you that within a few years - they will be a part of the menu once more steak places use a combination of sousvide and flash finish either skillet or grill. And every one will be perfect henceforth. No more steak lottery.
How would the proposed cooking applications help to cook steaks through thoroughly?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:04 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by luxury
Medium rare for me. I like it with a little butter and salt; sometimes a nice dry steak rub; and other times with shaved daikon, soy, and ponzu.
Sorry for asking but... if you add butter to a piece of meat, doesnt that mean that the meat itself is either lacking something, and/or is not of the right quality...?

The concept of overly seasoning or saucing meats is a very very strange for a 200% carnivore Argentine, so please forgive my question and thanks for sharing your views... ^
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
The concept of overly seasoning or saucing meats is a very very strange for a 200% carnivore Argentine, so please forgive my question and thanks for sharing your views...
Absolutely, Gaucho! ^ If one is a true carnivore, why would you want other flavors getting in the way?

I'll admit that butter is something of an exception, but when Mrs. Fredd and I finally got around to eating at a Ruth's Chris, she said, "almost anything tastes better with butter on it," and we recalled that her late father, a gourmet carnivore with the best of them, enjoyed a pat of butter on his very rare beef.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Sorry for asking but... if you add butter to a piece of meat, doesnt that mean that the meat itself is either lacking something, and/or is not of the right quality...?

The concept of overly seasoning or saucing meats is a very very strange for a 200% carnivore Argentine, so please forgive my question and thanks for sharing your views... ^
Originally Posted by Fredd
Absolutely, Gaucho! ^ If one is a true carnivore, why would you want other flavors getting in the way?

I'll admit that butter is something of an exception, but when Mrs. Fredd and I finally got around to eating at a Ruth's Chris, she said, "almost anything tastes better with butter on it," and we recalled that her late father, a gourmet carnivore with the best of them, enjoyed a pat of butter on his very rare beef.
Perhaps variety.. being the spice of life?

So the same steak can be had, a number of ways.. none is wrong.. and when tasty, much is right!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:33 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
How would the proposed cooking applications help to cook steaks through thoroughly?

Not certain I understand but I'll try.

As you know SV cooks to a temperature and holds. The combination of time and temperature renders the meat safe through pasteurisation. Once that time has elapsed the meat is cooked to exactly the same degree of doneness all the way through so if the center is rare - so is the surface. But it is an unatractive piece of meat at this stage!

In a restaurant you'd hold the steaks at a base temperature. You could in theory leave it in the bath for as long as you want but I'd have thought a practical limit of 24 hours. The only difference between a steak held for say 12 hours and say 24 is a softening and some would say improvement in texture - particularly cheaper steak cuts with less marbling.

Basically you'd store the steaks at a base temperature - say 115. You'd then take it to doneness from there and finish completely on the grill/skillet. This would still be miles better than cooking from scratch on the grill/skillet.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
I like my steaks well done & at home on my own grill...that way * I * have control of when to flip it and when to take it out.........I have NEVER had a decent steak eating out...(not to mention how $$$ it could be). also, I have butcher cut the steaks into just a lil less than 1 " thick........cooks up really good on the grill.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uk1

As you know SV cooks to a temperature and holds. The combination of time and temperature renders the meat safe through pasteurisation. Once that time has elapsed the meat is cooked to exactly the same degree of doneness all the way through so if the center is rare - so is the surface. But it is an unatractive piece of meat at this stage!

In a restaurant you'd hold the steaks at a base temperature. You could in theory leave it in the bath for as long as you want but I'd have thought a practical limit of 24 hours. The only difference between a steak held for say 12 hours and say 24 is a softening and some would say improvement in texture - particularly cheaper steak cuts with less marbling.

Basically you'd store the steaks at a base temperature - say 115. You'd then take it to doneness from there and finish completely on the grill/skillet. This would still be miles better than cooking from scratch on the grill/skillet.
Thanks.. sounds like operative procedure lol!

I guess that's why mediocre steaks cost so much in a restaurant.. using one step of a similar process would just end up in some meat to waste, doing a part of the process plain wrong.. or the meat might just go bad without beind sold and cooked..
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
At home: medium rare. At a restaurant, like all things: "however the chef recommends".
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Just found this in a grilling book, and it tasted wonderful. I will never go out for a steak again.

‎1/3 cup of sea salt, 2/3 cup of black pepper, 1/6 cup of each of the following: flour, garlic powder, oregano. Sprinkle lightly over a Rib-eye steak that is at least 1" think. Massage it in, flip it and repeat. Put the rest of the rub in an airtight container for next time. Let the steak sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour. Put it on the HOT grill for 6-7 minutes, flip it and cook for another 6-7 minutes. Watch for flare-ups. Rest the steak for 5-10 minutes and enjoy.

12 minutes is still a little pink in the middle.
(bolding mine) An inch-thick ribeye is going to be toast after 12 minutes, no? I would think 8.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mapletree
At home: medium rare. At a restaurant, like all things: "however the chef recommends".
Medium..

At Ruth's Chris Medium rare.. otherwise, it almost taste burnt right through..
Old Oct 22, 2011, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1

As you know SV cooks to a temperature and holds. The combination of time and temperature renders the meat safe through pasteurisation.
(bolding mine)

I don't think you can call it pasteurization. Pasteurization involves heating, and then quickly cooling. But I agree that it's time plus temperature (you can find charts for various combinations that render meats safe).
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
At Black Angus Restaurants,

I only go for Medium Rare for my Primes.

writing this makes me salivate.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tycosiao
At Black Angus Restaurants,

I only go for Medium Rare for my Primes.

writing this makes me salivate.
I like Black Angus too..

Pretty good value for what you get imo.. but this was outside of Disney World..

But I get how some FTers are turned off to it..
Old Oct 25, 2011, 7:24 am

I prefer medium rare, 24oz or bigger, and paid with a corporate credit card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.