Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you like your steak?
Rare
13.68%
Medium rare
64.21%
Medium
14.74%
Medium well
5.26%
Well done
1.05%
I don't eat steak
1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:13 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I...
Steak was cook perfectly rare, which means I can reheat the leftovers tonight and they will still be edible.
I've quit reheating leftover rare steak. Just slice it thinly and eat cold. Tastes almost better than the first night. Got some tonight as a matter of fact.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
medium
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver
My standard response (for both steaks and burgers) is "as rare as you can legally make it" (since some states have legal restrictions on how rare meat can be prepared).

I usually get a look from both my fellow diners and the server. 36 years and going with no food poisoning!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Surprised this thread isn't locked already. I'm sure 80% of the people here like ranges that help the beef taste good and the other 20% were raised by people with really crappy culinary skills and thus they want their meat well done or ruined.

Odd that a fight hasn't broken out yet. I tend to avoid places that will serve well done steaks. That means that there's a better restaurant in town who are good enough to make the choice to piss off the well done types.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by new2japan
Surprised this thread isn't locked already. I'm sure 80% of the people here like ranges that help the beef taste good and the other 20% were raised by people with really crappy culinary skills and thus they want their meat well done or ruined.

Odd that a fight hasn't broken out yet. I tend to avoid places that will serve well done steaks. That means that there's a better restaurant in town who are good enough to make the choice to piss off the well done types.
Not serving well done steaks is a matter of snobbery, or unwillingness to master the art of doing a GOOD well-done ("medium well," to some versions, where "well done" is not merely cooked through but cremated... if you're outside your home region, it always pays to double-check their definitions against your own.)

Nevertheless, I'll repeat what I said in the post #244:
"For a place that doesn't specialize in steak, having a limited range [of cooking temperatures] is excusable, if still poor form; for a place that specializes in steak, if you can't cook to the full range and come out with a quality product, you should be in a different business."

Now, those who've said that making a medium-well or well-done steak come out well may take a slightly different preparation may well be right - I don't check how kitchens prepare it, but I've had enough places prepare good medium-well and well-done steaks to know that some manage it quite well whatever they're doing, and at the kind of prices good steak-specialty restaurants charge, "we don't usually do it" under the assumption that steaks are produced assembly-line style is being unreasonable.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
We're thinking about how the steak is prepared..

I'm thinking my steak is better with sauteed mushrooms, and some steamed veggies..
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:12 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
I often get nicely prepared well-done steaks. Sometimes I send them back because it is not what I ordered or wanted to eat. Sometimes I just mumble.

Latest was an okay restaurant, quite nice actually, but not a place known for great food, so instead of medium rare I took a guess and asked for rare for the relatively inexpensive steak. In fact, I actually said blue, and the waitress nodded in understanding. Steak arrives, I cut into it and it is medium-well served on a sizzling hot platter. I prop it up on forks to keep it from cooking further waiting to get the server's attention. It went back and a new one returned cooked to my expectations with the statement "it's the lighting, the other one looked fine in the kitchen." No. It wasn't fine. It was medium well. Even well. No pink. New one was fine, but certainly not blue. Not even rare, but medium and okay for what it was.

At home I've cooked a few that were not cooked and needed a few more minutes on the grill, but I have never been served a steak in a restaurant that was too rare. Never.

In the US I order rare and get medium, in Europe I order medium rare and get rare. It's not about cooking, it's about semantics.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by lili
At home I've cooked a few that were not cooked and needed a few more minutes on the grill, but I have never been served a steak in a restaurant that was too rare. Never.
I've gotten a fair number of steaks I ordered medium (mostly pink, without more than a touch of either fully cooked or red) which came medium-rare (quite a bit of red) and once or twice a cold soft red in the center.

In the US I order rare and get medium, in Europe I order medium rare and get rare. It's not about cooking, it's about semantics.
Even things vary regionally here in the US. What I'm used to is pretty reliable here in the Bay Area, but outside the Bay Area, I'll confirm that my general preference these days (medium as I described above) and have had places describe that as medium-rare or medium-well.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:14 am
uk1
Suspended

The only way that you can achieve a steak that is all of the following:

(a) cooked to the same degree all the way through
(b) cooked to the exact same degree time after time exactly the way you like it ie replicable
(c) produce a rare steak that is always safe to eat ie pasteurised
(d) retains more of it's natural juices
(e) always softer and better textured than setting fire to or simple searing it

..... is by using sous vide and fry or grill finishing. In my view it produces an incomparable result.

(Pith helmet on!)
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:41 am

How about from somewhere other than Applebee's?

The Mrs. has us both on a diet trying to fit into suits for an upcoming wedding. We get 1 night out per week if we don't go crazy. A client gave me a $25 gift card to Applebee's and the Mrs. discovered that they have an assortment of meals under 550 calories. OK, a couple are based on a 7-ounce sirloin, the rest are shrimp or salad. I figure, how bad could they mess up a sirloin?

Well, I found out. Pre-seasoned with some salty concoction, the "grill marks" have an off-putting chemical aftertaste, the steak was undercooked and still rubbery. The accompanying broccoli & carrots were nicely crunchy but also drenched in some salty, gelatinous solution.

Awful, just awful. It took several servings of ice cream to rid my mouth of the taste.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by deubster
How about from somewhere other than Applebee's?

The Mrs. has us both on a diet trying to fit into suits for an upcoming wedding. We get 1 night out per week if we don't go crazy. A client gave me a $25 gift card to Applebee's and the Mrs. discovered that they have an assortment of meals under 550 calories. OK, a couple are based on a 7-ounce sirloin, the rest are shrimp or salad. I figure, how bad could they mess up a sirloin?

Well, I found out. Pre-seasoned with some salty concoction, the "grill marks" have an off-putting chemical aftertaste, the steak was undercooked and still rubbery. The accompanying broccoli & carrots were nicely crunchy but also drenched in some salty, gelatinous solution.

Awful, just awful. It took several servings of ice cream to rid my mouth of the taste.
Yup Applebee's will do it..

and the Ice Cream is a perfect remedy that a restaurant can't usually mess up.. I mean.. you scoop it ready made into a bowl..

Speaking of certs.. we've got a $50 gift card to burn at East Side Marios.. anybody ever try the steak there.. I think there was a steak and shrimp combo available.. but not sure about the quality and quantity of portions?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I enjoy my steaks medium rare. Yes, I've sent them back if they were overcooked. I've also had a few occasions where I've told the server, "Yes, I enjoy steaks medium rare. However, this is still raw."
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:40 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by kipper
I enjoy my steaks medium rare. Yes, I've sent them back if they were overcooked. I've also had a few occasions where I've told the server, "Yes, I enjoy steaks medium rare. However, this is still raw."
You'd have additional problems in Europe because what the French feel is a medium steak, the Brits consider rare etc ..... and then we have this stuff about mustards with the Brits and French having a complete mismatch of what is French mustard.

MENTION the phrase “French mustard” to the average Briton and they will think of the mild, dark brown kind that was popularised by the Norwich-based firm Colman's.

However to most French people this is a mystery - one French blogger described it as “that sweet English stuff they have the nerve to call ‘French Mustard’.”

In fact the nearest real French equivalent - called moutarde brune - or sometimes moutarde de Bordeaux - is not very common in France where the best-known mustard is Dijon, especially as sold by market leader Amora Maille.

British-style “French mustard” would also be classed as a “moutarde douce” - a term used for certain sweeter, milder mustards in France.

Dijon is a dark yellow, with a milder taste than English mustard, but still with more bite and a more classic mustard taste than the sweetish, savoury, “French mustard”.

In fact, Colman’s French Mustard is now unobtainable, since they stopped the line after 65 years, following an EU competition law ruling in 2001 after parent firm Unilever also acquired Amora Maille. It was told to sell the brand or stop making it.

Even so, “French Mustard” can still be found in Britain - for example, Waitrose do an own-label one.

Real French mustards should also not be confused with “French’s mustard” - a classic hot-dog style condiment that is the best-known brand in the USA. This, as its makers insisted during the Iraq war, has strictly nothing to do with France, but is a family name.

As for real French mustards, there is controversy at Amora Maille after it announced it was closing its headquarters and factory in Dijon - though it will retain a mustard shop there. Production will continue at its factory to the east of the city at Chévigny, which Unilever points out is still part of “Greater Dijon.” The company cited economic difficulties with running a town-centre site.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by uk1
The only way that you can achieve a steak that is all of the following:

(a) cooked to the same degree all the way through
(b) cooked to the exact same degree time after time exactly the way you like it ie replicable
(c) produce a rare steak that is always safe to eat ie pasteurised
(d) retains more of it's natural juices
(e) always softer and better textured than setting fire to or simple searing it

..... is by using sous vide and fry or grill finishing. In my view it produces an incomparable result.

(Pith helmet on!)
Surely you would have to compensate for the extra time the steak will cook on the grill? A quick sear on either side wouldn't give charred crust that, for me at least, is vital on the perfect steak.

Last edited by indianwells; Aug 24, 2011 at 9:00 am
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:31 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by indianwells
Surely you would have to compensate for the extra time the steak will cook on the grill? A quick sear on either side wouldn't give charred crust that, for me at least, is vital on the perfect steak.
Well in theory you might. But bear in mind once you've cooked a few steaks using this method you will know to a half degree or so what you set your sous vide machine at in order to give you the steak you like with the final sizzle.

So in practice ie in reality - no - basically the steak is in fact cooked. All you're doing is caramelising the outside and adding colour to make it more attractive. It cooks the outer few millimeters. Compare that with cooking all of the steak from the outside ie the traditional frying / grilling method then it's very precise. With grilling / frying - the outside will always be considerably different from the middle. This method avoids it almost completely.

I can assure you I get a pretty good seared crust - but it won't give you leathery if that's what your after - unless you over do it. It's just a very high temperature for a shorter period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.