Search
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "BBQ" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by formeraa
I used to work for H.E.B. They have a program which allows local businesses to sell their products in local stores. The only caveat is that distribution may be very limited to a handful of H.E.B. stores, depending on the product.

Central Market was interesting- didn't have much time to look around though. Always like finding 'edible souvenirs' on my adventures

Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
This was a disappointing experience, frankly. The baby back ribs were okay, but the brisket was terrible. It was in definite need of sauce, which actually made it even worse.

Ma Kettle did said she liked the turkey though and my nephew seemed happy with his proprietary sandwich (The Ex Wife, I believe they called it), but I think I'll take a pass going forward.

Too bad.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Smokin' Pig

Smokin' Pig, Valdosta, GA gets my vote.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Cool behind the scenes video at Franklin's in Austin here:

https://thescene.com/watch/bonappeti...t-bbq-in-texas

Working 24 Hours at the Best BBQ in the World
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:37 am

Interesting discussion about North Carolina barbecue. This is dining buzz, however, so no reason to comment on the politicians involved.

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/...119551983.html
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Interesting discussion about North Carolina barbecue. This is dining buzz, however, so no reason to comment on the politicians involved.

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/...119551983.html
I won't comment on the politicians, other than to note that it's another example of how politicians of all stripes fail when they try to act like they care about your local traditions a little *too* much. We've had the same thing in Kansas City, where they try to say something about barbecue and get all the details wrong.

You'd think their handlers would tell them: unless you're actually an expert in this matter, don't talk about barbecue. And frankly, even if you are an expert, you might steer clear - as your opinion about it might alienate a large chunk of voters.

Sports is another topic where politicians often fake an interest in a local team, stadium, rivalry, or whatever...usually with poor results.

As for Carolina, I guess I had no idea that Charlotte didn't have any good 'cue. That's the main city in that state I'd have an interest in visiting, and sampling their vinegar-y sauced pulled pork with a side of homemade pups is something I'd want to try.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:52 am

Best BBQ----Parker's BBQ in Wilson, North Carolina ^
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I haven't been to Blacks in Lockhart for more than 30 years. I still have vivid memories of the drive from Austin in the spring with fields of blue bonnets along the road and the just stunningy good BBQ and the tank of sweet tea.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
As for Carolina, I guess I had no idea that Charlotte didn't have any good 'cue. That's the main city in that state I'd have an interest in visiting, and sampling their vinegar-y sauced pulled pork with a side of homemade pups is something I'd want to try.
Agree. That was a surprise.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:03 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I was in Charlotte last weekend. Although it was ok for me (I'm from NYC), it was not comparable to other bbq hotbeds (e.g. your home base). Perhaps Lexington would've been a better bet?

For Charlotte-FTers, I went to Bill Spoon's, Sauceman's, and Midwood.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I was in Charlotte last weekend. Although it was ok for me (I'm from NYC), it was not comparable to other bbq hotbeds (e.g. your home base). Perhaps Lexington would've been a better bet?

For Charlotte-FTers, I went to Bill Spoon's, Sauceman's, and Midwood.
I'll be honest: Midwood, the place that gets ripped in the article, actually looks pretty cool. If I ever do wind up in Charlotte, I'll probably look for it.

In addition to debates about barbecue styles, there also seems to be the parallel underlying debate: must a truly great BBQ joint be a grungy, smokey shack? Or can it be a "nice" restaurant? In KC, that'd be the LC's (east side, smokey shack that occasionally has "issues" with city inspectors) vs. Jack Stack (a place you'd comfortably take business clients for an upscale dinner). I happen to love both places.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:18 am
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by John Isaac
Best BBQ----Parker's BBQ in Wilson, North Carolina ^
Absolutely not. Tried there 2 months ago.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:46 am

Have to report a very disappointing meal at Gates in KC on my last trip to the area. I am always ready to cut the BBQ restaurants some slack when it comes to the brusque, in your face method of ordering, but Gates takes that to a new level. As to the food, of the several things we had (chicken, burnt ends, beans, etc.) there was nothing that seemed on a par with the better restaurants we have been to in the area (Arthur Bryant's, Q39, Jack Stack, Joe's, Smokehouse, among others).
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Have to report a very disappointing meal at Gates in KC on my last trip to the area. I am always ready to cut the BBQ restaurants some slack when it comes to the brusque, in your face method of ordering, but Gates takes that to a new level. As to the food, of the several things we had (chicken, burnt ends, beans, etc.) there was nothing that seemed on a par with the better restaurants we have been to in the area (Arthur Bryant's, Q39, Jack Stack, Joe's, Smokehouse, among others).
IIRC, this is the chain of BBQ places where they yell, "Hi may I help you!?" when you walk in. I didn't find it that over the top when I went there, but I agree that there are definitely better places to eat BBQ in KC.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:48 pm

Gates doesn't even make my top 10. I'd say I'm in there 1-2 times a year because somebody I'm with has never been there, has heard they yell at you, and wants to yell back "beef on bun!"

OK, that's fun...once...but the barbecue is mediocre. Those people never bug me to go back again.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

In addition to debates about barbecue styles, there also seems to be the parallel underlying debate: must a truly great BBQ joint be a grungy, smokey shack? Or can it be a "nice" restaurant? In KC, that'd be the LC's (east side, smokey shack that occasionally has "issues" with city inspectors) vs. Jack Stack (a place you'd comfortably take business clients for an upscale dinner). I happen to love both places.
Interesting question, since there aren't a lot of "nice" places. I'm in KC often because I have family there, and have to say I'm not a fan of Jack Stack, but they all love it. It's not that it isn't good, it just isn't as good to me as Joe's or Arthur Bryant's. But perhaps it's also a mind trick, where I've never associated a nicer restaurant with good BBQ. I'll have to pay more attention next time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.