Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Where Are The Best Steakhouses In The World?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where Are The Best Steakhouses In The World?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2004, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Ive been to several Mortons and Ruths Chris and found them okay but nothing special. Ill go with Peter Lugar. The menu is very limited. They have steak for 1, steak for 2, etc. All the same. As for cooking steak at home, I dont buy it unless you have an oven that goes to 900 degrees or whatever like the steakhouses have. Thats how you can have that nice seared outside and how I like it, very, very rare, on the inside.

I would like to try some of the really good places in Argentina. I spent about a week there a few years ago and had some great beef but didnt go to any high end places. We have recently been ordering grass fed beef (like in Argentina) from some places in the States since we wont eat the sort of mass produced beef for safety concerns. The grass fed stuff we have been getting is very flavorful.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
My two truly great experiences so far ...

Sparks in NYC.

Bern's in Tampa.

I've been to lots of other places (El Gaucho, Ruth's Chris, Smith & Wollensky, etc.), and while very, very good just not quite the experiences at either Sparks or Bern's.

Look forward to testing the waters at Peter Lugar's, Shula's and anywhere in Argentina. ^
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:39 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
LG's in Palm Desert and Sam and Harry's in DC.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 2:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Without any doubt:

The Butcher's Shop at Mercado Village on International Drive in Orlando, Florida!

Terrible website, wonderful steaks!
http://www.thebutchershopsteakhouse.com/

Greetings,
Muerz
Old Apr 3, 2004, 8:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
The best:

Smuggler's Inn , Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Most disappointing: Charley's , Kissimmee, FL!!
Old Apr 3, 2004, 8:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by obscure2k
You have to remve the comma at the end of the link for it to work if you are having trouble with it (I removed it in the quoted text, so it worls there)
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, UA MM
Gibson's Steakhouse in Chicago is my favorite in the world!
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:08 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Orlando Steak Houses

Originally Posted by Muerz
Without any doubt:

The Butcher's Shop at Mercado Village on International Drive in Orlando, Florida!

Terrible website, wonderful steaks!
http://www.thebutchershopsteakhouse.com/
I heard great reviews about this place, but I must have been there on an off day for them because, while the food and ambiance were good, they were not outstanding. Then again, I have only tried them once, so I guess I am due to try them again.

Also in Orlando, I have dined at both the original Charley’s Steak House as well as the one on International Drive. Like The Butcher Shop Steakhouse, they were both good but not outstanding, but then again, I understand that they are inconsistent.

I have also dined at Shula’s Steak House at Walt Disney World, and while I enjoyed dining there, it still was not as good as the original in Miami Lakes, Florida.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:57 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie

I have also dined at Shula’s Steak House at Walt Disney World, and while I enjoyed dining there, it still was not as good as the original in Miami Lakes, Florida.
And I never even knew that the original Walt Disney World was in Miami Lakes!

Oddly enough, the best steak I ever had was in a country where steaks generally should be avoided: Italy.

In the in-house restaurant of the Hotel Ai Gelsi in Codroipo I had a steak Florentine which was a knock out in both terms of size and taste.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 12:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Buenos Aires, Argentina. When I am there, my first meal upon arrival and last meal prior to departure are at Cabana las Lilas in the Puerto Madero neighborhood. The restaurant is a quick walk from the Hilton and the place next door which is part of a chain -- La Caballeriza -- is good too and reasonably priced by even Argentine standards. With or without US pricing standards (i.e., before or after a currency freefall), those meals are too delicious to be passed.

I have made it a point to get friends of mine to go with me there for weekend steak trips... and so far no complaints, especially about the lomo (or brochette de lomo) a punto.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 6:48 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dovster
And I never even knew that the original Walt Disney World was in Miami Lakes!
Walt Disney had a lot at steak when he opened the original Walt Disney World in Miami Lakes in 1947 as an underwater theme park because it was physically located in Miami Lakes. He attended the theme park’s opening day to meat each customer. However, he had to cut his losses when he realized that most customers at that time had a real beef about not being able to afford to rent the scuba gear in order to visit all of the attractions.

This dismal initial failure chopped his ego in half, but he refused to give up on his revolutionary idea of opening a theme park of some kind and set the main course (well, actually the course remained in Florida, not Maine) in the direction of becoming successful. However, he made sure he steered clear of opening any more underwater theme parks from then on in, as he did not want to be embroiled in any more legal battles as a result of any more financial losses.

His consultants insisted that the next theme park should be located underwater as well, to which Disney, quite deep in thought, replied, “...or land...Oh!” The idea hit him at that moment to move the theme park approximately 200 miles north, and that is how that location became known as Orlando to this day.

-------------

As one would guess, the above story is nothing but a lot of bull and difficult to digest.

Now let us please return to the discussion of where are the best steakhouse in the world...
Old Apr 4, 2004, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Has anyone tried "Wolfgang's Steakhouse" on #3rd and Park ave in NYC? I understand it just recently opened. There was a small article in the "Newyork" magazine saying that Wolfgang was the Maitre D at Peter Lugars for forty years and retired to open his own steakhouse in Manhattan. I had reservations last week at this restaurant but cancelled them that day due to exhaustion! I'd love to hear about the restaurant if anyone has eaten there yet!
Old Apr 8, 2004, 6:51 am

Programs: /usr/bin
Kobe, Japan

Rediculously expensive prices for a piece of meat that most Americans would consider a "bite" but damn is it good.

Mmmm...
Old Apr 8, 2004, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
The best steak I've had was the Kansas City strip from Dickie Brennan's steakhouse in New Orleans. The flavor was just amazing, and they cooked it to perfection. I've had a lot of steaks, but this one took the cake. Of course, I haven't had Kobe beef, so that may be better.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 10:23 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Ive had Kobe and liked it a lot. But I didnt have it as steak. Ive been told the flavor is too delicate to serve as a steak and broil or grill. I had it shabu-shabu style at a place on Ginza in Tokyo. Paper thin, dipped in boiling water for a few seconds and then with a really excellent dipping sauce. It was amazing looking meat, incredible marbling but not the steak type experience from something like a porterhouse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.