Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crabbing
opentable wiki

the basics:
1. create an account at opentable.com. i believe you assign your default metro area when you make your account.
2. use the website to find restaurants in the neighborhood of your choice. you can pick a specific neighborhood if you know it. there is a hidden map feature, accessed through an upside-down raindrop.
3. pick the location, time, and number of people in your party. note that some places impose min/max party size.
4. you can also find 1000-point times for certain locations, which appear on the list of times with a "+."

using points:
  • start here to access the list of restaurants that accept opentable gift cards.
  • gift cards are sent via email.
  • OT gift cards are either tied to a specific restaurant, or you can choose a generic card that can be redeemed later (if anyone has done this, please update the wiki as to whether you still have to choose the restaurant and redeem online)
  • note: the number of restaurants that accept OT gift cards is significantly smaller than the number of restaurants that award OT points.

tips and tricks:
  • if a location is not busy or the receptionist is forgetful, they might not remember to check you in, so it doesn't hurt to ask.
  • you often can be early or late and still get points, but the flexibility depends on the specific restaurant.
  • sometimes they can be flexible on the party size - this is particularly useful if it's just yourself (for places with a min of 2), or you have a large party.
  • if a place doesn't credit, usually an email to OT will get it credited. you might need a receipt as proof.
  • some places credit your points as soon as you check in with the restaurant, while some can wait until several hours later.
  • some restaurants allow reservations but do not award points. some have point-earning times and non-point-earning times. and some really sneaky places give points made through OT, but not through the OT/reservations link on the restaurant's own website. worse, they may set a "session cookie" that ensures your reservation is flagged "no points," so your best bet is to close and reopen your browser to reset the session cookie before making the reservation (or canceling and rebooking).
  • don't forget that OT has nothing to do with how you pay for a meal. so it "stacks" with chase first friday bonuses, rewards network, restaurant.com certificates, coupons, etc.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Open Table" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
There are no benefits to VIP status. I'm a VIP. The website says they flag your reservation so that the restaurant may choose to offer special services (of some indeterminate form). But has anyone ever gotten anything out of being an OpenTable VIP?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:39 am

Programs: United No Status Anymore, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Blue
Nope - never gotten ANYTHING as a VIP w/ OT for the past several years. Oh well - it's a great service!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 1:11 pm
jsm

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 3 MM , Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
I am moving to Dining Buzz.....
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I use open table all the time, but only since it is very easy to book through them. I have no idea how many points I have, and really don't care.

The only trouble I've had is when a restaurant where we're well known just ushered us to the table and didn't bother to check their list. Open table reported us as a no-show, but a response along the lines of "we were very much there, Joe greeted us, Sally was our server, the specials were x y and, we had blah blah blah" was the last we heard of the matter.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I am a new user, but i can tell you in New York City many restaurant might be fully booked on thur, fri, sat, and if you check opentable 50% of the time you will see they have a spot . . . convenient even just for this.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I use Opentable a lot (and just noticed I am a VIP! - probably have been for a while - though cannot say I have ever noticed any different treatment). In some cities like Las Vegas, Chicago, or Orlando, I find that most of the restaurants I am interested in (as a business visitor) are on it - and often it is easier to make a reservation online vs. calling. Have earned probably $200+ in dining checks and been able to use them without issue except once (was refused - no big deal - used it a week later).

To add on to nick_marquise's comment - there have been several times where a restaurant had no reservations (either online or on the phone), so I made other plans, but checked back at opentable before leaving - only to find a reservation had opened up at choice #1. Since many of the restaurants are using opentable to maximize their seat utilization, when they get a cancelation it appears almost immediately online (some hold back or have a cutoff time, but most do not). I also use opentable a lot on my mobile phone when we are out and decide we are hungry - great quick snapshot of where we can eat within the next 15 minutes with no wait.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by gleff
There are no benefits to VIP status. I'm a VIP. The website says they flag your reservation so that the restaurant may choose to offer special services (of some indeterminate form). But has anyone ever gotten anything out of being an OpenTable VIP?
I don't think its so much of a tangible benefit - but since they started the VIP thing I've noticed I get table visits from the management team at random restaurants (random being places that I haven't frequented before) more frequently than normal. If nothing else, I think it flags you as someone who dines out quite frequently - so some restaurants probably use that to gauge who they might want to add to their roster of regulars?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:40 am

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Thumbs up

I use it a lot and for some of the more popular places here it is easier than a phone call. I'm working on my third $10 voucher.

Re: the VIP status... I have noticed the "random table visits" too.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1P, Omni Gold, Hilton Gold, *Wood Gold
I have noticed since I am VIP that I am not getting nearly the amount of calls requesting me to confirm my reservation. In fact, I don't think I have had one. It could be a coincidence, or it may not be.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 2:33 pm

I think the main benefit of being an Opentable VIP would be the ability to list it as one more program in one's FT profile...
Old Nov 17, 2006, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also love Opentable. I have found that they're not very good at catching you when you make a booking and forget to cancel and get the points anyway. They are supposed to "ding" you and if you do it a lot, they cancel your account.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Plat
Never hurts to call...

Each restaurant has a lot of leeway in deciding what % of their inventory to upload at any given moment. If you have a strong preference in place/time and you don't see availability on OpenTable I find 50% of the time I can get my preference by calling.

YMMV
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:44 pm

I have had occasional problems importing the reservation into outlook; Twice I've had reservations for 6:30pm and it sorts into my outlook as 7pm. Some kind of bug?

Otherwise, great service. I hate having to deal with anything by phone these days. Also great at the last minute to see which restaurants have availability on a given night. I used it for Boston Restaurant Week with great results.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:43 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Anybody try redeeming their opentable points earned in the US for a UK voucher.

Seems like a much better deal.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Also great at the last minute to see which restaurants have availability on a given night. I used it for Boston Restaurant Week with great results.
Its fantastic for Restaurant Weeks! Here in Dallas, the "choice" nights/restaurants go really early but Open Table is a great way to watch the list and "bid up". Among my friends, we usually rank our favorites and then grab what we can for a particular night and then I watch and grab "new" tables (and discard the old) as better choices become available. This year we made it to all but two of our top choices although one we got at the eleventh hour (when we had taken a night off due to a lack of good options).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.