Plume 1 star

Sushi Taro 1 star
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
DC's list just announced
Thanks I'll have to try some of these out.

Curious why the Occidental is not on the list?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:21 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
Thanks I'll have to try some of these out.

Curious why the Occidental is not on the list?
I was hoping Sushi Taro wouldn't make the list... love that place though guess it's already well enough known...

Fdw
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
DC's list just announced

Pineapple & Pearls 2 stars

Inn at Little Washington 2 stars

Minibar 2 stars

Rose's Luxury 1 star

Kinship 1 star

Fiola 1 star

Blue Duck Tavern 1 star

The Dabney 1 star

Masseria 1 star

Tail Up Goat 1 star

Plume 1 star

Sushi Taro 1 star
Thanks. Someone sent me a note about Jose Andres today. Will try to go next time I am in town.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:48 am

I went to minibar in August. A lot of internet articles said it's one of the hardest reservations to get in the US, but I didn't have any trouble getting a dinner reservation on about a week's notice. It was fully booked when I dined, though.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I went to minibar in August. A lot of internet articles said it's one of the hardest reservations to get in the US, but I didn't have any trouble getting a dinner reservation on about a week's notice. It was fully booked when I dined, though.
What did you think of the meal?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
What did you think of the meal?
There were 27 or 28 items all together. Some were meh, others were memorable. Definitely has the "wow" value I expected going in. Also, not a lot of bread to fill up on so I didn't leave stuffed like I do at some other Michelin restaurants, which is good. I did the tea pairing, which I liked a lot. (I wish more places would do this)

All in all, this was one of the more expensive restaurants I've been to, as expensive or more expensive than many 3*. I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't do it again. A restaurant like TFL or El Cellar, on the other hand, I can imagine going to again.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Interesting DC list - thanks for sharing ^
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:33 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Venice, Miland, London highlights: Le Calandre, Il Luogo di Aimo e Nadie

Just returned from Venice, Milan, and London from a fine dining extravaganza, including:

Venice:

(1) Osteria da Fiore--1*, wonderful, casually elegant, great food, extremely great and friendly service, one of our highlights, great wine pairings, felt more local

(2) Le Calandre (Rubano)--3*, the highlight of our trip, tremendous food, extremely creative, dark ambience, loved it, amazing wine pairings

(3) Quadri--1* (rumored to be most likely to get 2* in Venice), very good, great alternative to Le Calandre, similar menus since same chef/ownership, but not a good idea the night after Le Calandre! Female somm, she was fab, great wine pairings

(4) Club del Doge, Gritti Palace--very good too (we stayed at the Gritti)

Milan:

(5) Ristorante Berton--1*, another highlight, looks corporate elegant but was friendly and had nice relaxed service, great food, great wine pairings.

(6) Il Luogo de Aimo e Nadia--2*, should be 3* IMO, was as good and memorabe as Le Calandre for us, very friendly charming service, top drawer wine pairings and food, very bright and cheery decor, loved it, right up there with Le Calandre as our fave of the trip

(7) Ristorante Alice--1*, a major disappointment, food was fine, but unremarkable and not always good. trying too hard to be clever IMO, wine pairings were solid but not great

London:

(8) The Ledbury--2*, my favorite in London, the menu wasn't as much to my liking, but my friends and husband loved it, I still love this restaurant, the service was TREMENDOUS, even replaced some courses I clearly didn't favor (I never like aubergine, liver, beets, etc), wine pairings were great. Not my favorite meal here ever, but they treated us so well and tried so hard to make up for my menu dislikes that it remains my fave in London by a mile

(9) Marcus--2* (more like 1* or less for us), definitely disappointed us, good food, but nothing remarkable in any way, good service, beautiful dining room...just didn't wow in any way, flavors were very good but not inventive, wine pairings were very good though
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin
(9) Marcus--2* (more like 1* or less for us), definitely disappointed us, good food, but nothing remarkable in any way, good service, beautiful dining room...just didn't wow in any way, flavors were very good but not inventive, wine pairings were very good though
Disappointing. Was always a freat one in the past. Not tried the new concept so far
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Review: Taku Cologne

Yesterday I had Lunch at the Taku Clogne (1 star). The restaurant is located at the Excelsior Ernst Hotel opposite the Dom and was on my list for a long time. It offers east asian cuisin.

The restaurant is in the basement with a separate entrance. The room itself is nicely done with many Asian elemts and a little stream with some fishes on the floor under glass.

We took the vegetarian Lunch-menu which was priced at 45 € for 4 courses. With meat it had been 48. The also have a box which is 25.

Spicy nuts:

Peach-ginger lemonade: (8,50 €)

A little sharp paired with sweetness - I liked it.

Our menu started with fresh bead and salted, apricor and truffle butter.

Interesting form of bread:

Amuse Bouche: Marinated vegetables

Nicely presented with a slightly sour note.

1. course: Cauliflower (puree of cauliflower with tomato stock, coriander dust and marinated cauliflower)

Really liked this one, very nice taste. Worked well together.

2. course: Thai Gazpacho (gazpacho thai style with lemon grass, ginger, cucumer and thai basil)

This was my least favourite dish, was simply not my taste. Had also to eat my girlfriend´s one

3. course: Dim sum (steamed vegetarian dim sum with chinese bbq sauce, roasted onions and sprout salad)

Not was I know as dim sum but a nice one. Not sure if this was my favourite or the cauliflower.

Dessert: rice (fried coconut-rice, mangosphere, rajoy-sugo nd mangocreme)

The dessert was over all good. The coconut-rice didn´t had much flavour, the cake was great.

Tea: (Jasmin, 9,50 €)

Petit fours:

Bill came to 130 € with 2 0,5 l water.
Over all I was satisfied, price was still OK (while not overly cheap). Food quality was solid and good above average, but not top notch. I learned over the years that you can´t expect too much from most one star restaurants if I don´t wonna stay disappointed. Nevertheless it was an enjoyable Lunch, would visit again. At dinner 4 courses vegan come to 75 €, 6 cost 95 €. "Normal" dinner is 105 € for 4 courses and 130 € for 6 courses. Not sure if I would pay dinner prices. Service was warm and fast.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Thanks offerendum, Taku sounds/feels indeed special in many ways from your images and descriptions of their offerings.

I'm glad you could now try this particular restaurant. The Excelsior Ernst remains the best hotel in Cologne for many, I guess?

I believe next year [2017] will see the re-opening of the Dom Hotel Cologne by Althoff.

In regards to value, sounds fair and the concept sounds interesting = delicious food to us, we would want to try this restaurant too in our future.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by uggboy
Thanks offerendum, Taku sounds/feels indeed special in many ways from your images and descriptions of their offerings.

I'm glad you could now try this particular restaurant. The Excelsior Ernst remains the best hotel in Cologne for many, I guess?

I believe next year [2017] will see the re-opening of the Dom Hotel Cologne by Althoff.

In regards to value, sounds fair and the concept sounds interesting = delicious food to us, we would want to try this restaurant too in our future.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Thanks uggboy! Didn´t see much of the hotel as I never stay in Clologne, I live 80 km away. Domhotel is nearly ready, perfect location equal to Excelsior.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:52 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
I just got back from San Sebastian, slightly disappointed with Arzak (very rushed service), however Mugaritz blew me away, we also went to Exteberri on the way back to Madrid, it was very good. I'm writing up my trip report with full pictures, but will post here once complete of the reviews.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:18 am

Just noticed that Petrus has two 1000 point tables available on OpenTable tonight at 1800 and 1845. If I hadn't just eaten there I might have considered it. Actually, I don't know why I'm even looking at all. It's been an excessive week and I have Chez Bruce coming up this weekend. Cancelled Sketch Lecture Room and Library last night because I couldn't summon the appetite to do it justice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.