Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:32 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
EuropeanPete, they at least had your contact info, if not name as well, right?
It's more that I walked up to the hotel reception and asked where the restaurant was - The lady deduced the rest for herself "Oh, Mr. EuropeanPete, I assume?"
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It's more that I walked up to the hotel reception and asked where the restaurant was - The lady deduced the rest for herself "Oh, Mr. EuropeanPete, I assume?"
you said "I had briefly mentioned in the email"

email address alone may yield a lot of open source intelligence
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
what's a Michelin star?

Is it like a AAA rating? Does it have anything to do with the tire mfr?

Also, how do you know a restaurant has such a star? Is there a Michelin search guide? Are there Michelin rates restaurants in the U.S.?

Last edited by enviroian; Aug 29, 2015 at 2:02 pm
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by enviroian
Yep, exactly.

It's where the rubber meets the road.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Quote:

Originally Posted by enviroian

Yep, exactly.

It's where the rubber meets the road.
lol I was being serious!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Google is your friend! It started out as an offshoot of the Michelin Guides. It's a fairly selective rating of restaurants from 1 to 3 stars. It is purportedly very snootily French in character, leading to all sorts of controversies.

One star: A good place to stop on your journey, indicating a very good restaurant in its category, offering cuisine prepared to a consistently high standard.

Two stars: A restaurant worth a detour, indicating excellent cuisine and skillfully and carefully crafted dishes of outstanding quality.

Three stars: A restaurant worth a special journey, indicating exceptional cuisine where diners eat extremely well, often superbly. Distinctive dishes are precisely executed, using superlative ingredients.
Be prepared to pay up for increasing numbers of stars.

Bon Appétit!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Google is your friend! It started out as an offshoot of the Michelin Guides. It's a fairly selective rating of restaurants from 1 to 3 stars. It is purportedly very snootily French in character, leading to all sorts of controversies.

Quote:

One star: A good place to stop on your journey, indicating a very good restaurant in its category, offering cuisine prepared to a consistently high standard.

Two stars: A restaurant worth a detour, indicating excellent cuisine and skillfully and carefully crafted dishes of outstanding quality.

Three stars: A restaurant worth a special journey, indicating exceptional cuisine where diners eat extremely well, often superbly. Distinctive dishes are precisely executed, using superlative ingredients.

Bon Appétit!
thanks doc!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:10 pm

Be prepared to pay up for increasing numbers of stars.!
More or less true, but there are some values to be had, especially in Asia, in my experience. For ex, a restaurant with 1 Michelin star in LA, CA will set you back at least $100 per person. But in HK, there are several dim sum type places that are very affordable.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
There are no "Michelin starred" restaurants in L.A. The Michelin Guide only covers a few select cities in the world.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold

IIRC there are three ** Michelin restaurants in L.A. and almost two thousand restaurants scattered around the globe with at least one *. It is not just a few cites, in fact there are hundreds of cities/towns in France alone that have at least one coveted star.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are a LOT of cities/countries with michelin
seems the last michelin for LA was 2008/2009

current michelin chicago list >
http://www.chicagomag.com/dining-dri...-Star-Ratings/
map of michelin chicago >
http://chicago.eater.com/maps/chicag...rants-mapped-2
17 one star - this lists cheapest 8 entree average - $23 to $44
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/chicag...w-york-options

AAA and forbes/mobil are really not comparable to michelin

enviroian, im sure there are some casual/inexpensive michelin that would appeal, but maybe only overseas
and things like dress codes are becoming increasingly less common even at some very expensive restaurants

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 29, 2015 at 4:47 pm
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
The last L.A. guide was 2009, so I suppose you can call those restaurants that appeared in the last edition and which are still in business today as "Michelin starred." I don't. For example, the Langham got one star while it was under Michael Voltaggio, who has since moved on to ink in West Hollywood. That said, many restaurants in the 2009 L.A. guide are still very good. I just choose not to call them "Michelin starred." IMO, those restaurants exist only in New York, Chicago, and San Francisco (in North America).

As far as "limited" is concerned, the Michelin Guide is limited to Europe, U.S., Japan, and Hong Kong (where its Western cuisine-based rubric is, IMO, highly suspect when applied to Chinese food -- and not so for Japanese food). There is a whole world of great restaurants and eating destinations. I've had amazing eating experiences in China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Peru, Canada, ... all no thanks to the Michelin Guide.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass

And Smaller portions....

Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also check out Michelin's "Bib Gourmand," a recognition that falls short of a star but indicating a friendly place with good food where you can get a couple of courses and a drink for less than $50 or so.

The Michelin guide started out in France as a guide for French road trips but has long since branched out.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
But in HK, there are several dim sum type places that are very affordable.
The story is that it was a political move to appeal to a broader market (i.e. the Chinese).

I've eaten there and it's certainly not Michelin quality.

The star rating has a rough correlation to price, better correlation to service, and none to taste, IME. Some of the better meals I've had were the 2s and 1s, and even restaurants that later went on to earn stars... the 3s were good too but most of them had a very stuffy style of service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.