Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by oh_lol
Cool AND Creepy
I think this might be the start of a trend. Yesterday out of the blue I got a call on my mobile from a fairly well-known local celebrity chef asking if I would be interested in attending a special dining event that was in the works. That doesn't happen every day. Told my wife, it's like Gordon Ramsay just called to chitchat and invite me to dinner.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Had dinner at Quince last night in San Francisco - got their 3rd Michelin Star this year. Fantastic dinner all around...very friendly staff, with Pliny the Elder on the menu! Cocktails were excellent. I would say that on balance, the seafood dishes were stronger than the meats, but overall, it was delicious. Well worth the experience, even though I had really wanted to go to Benu instead (waited too long to make a reservation there).
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:39 pm

Quiet here recently! Have a few more coming up in the next couple weeks that I will report back on...

-Gabriel Kreuther (one star)
-Chef's Table @ Brooklyn Fare (three stars, at their Manhattan location)
-Enoteca Pinchiorri (in Florence, three stars)

Might be taking a bit of a break after that on the Michelin front for a couple months
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:06 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Quiet here recently! Have a few more coming up in the next couple weeks that I will report back on...

-Gabriel Kreuther (one star)
-Chef's Table @ Brooklyn Fare (three stars, at their Manhattan location)
-Enoteca Pinchiorri (in Florence, three stars)

Might be taking a bit of a break after that on the Michelin front for a couple months
15 days without a post! I've got a bunch of new stars in Asia coming up in the beginning of March.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
PsiFighter! Any recommendations for more affordable set menus in NYC? Looking at the $100 or under price range.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
PsiFighter! Any recommendations for more affordable set menus in NYC? Looking at the $100 or under price range.
Even if many here disagree I would recommend Marea (102 $ 4 course). I really like it.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:14 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Checked out Tim Ho Wan in Sham Shui Po last month. It was good, yes, but I also went because dim sum was already on the menu...so to speak.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:09 am

Any reason you're looking for set menus?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:17 pm

The best sub-$100 value, no questions asked, is Contra in LES. Before the Michelin star (haven't been since), it was $70 per person. A steal.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Even if many here disagree I would recommend Marea (102 $ 4 course). I really like it.
Marea is also very good; that said, I was underwhelmed last time I ate there. Surprised/disappointed.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 3, 2017 at 4:16 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by United747
Any reason you're looking for set menus?
I personally have found they are generally better value, and I am not picky. But I am also open to ala carte if you have places in mind

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
The best sub-$100 value, no questions asked, is Contra in LES. Before the Michelin star (haven't been since), it was $70 per person. A steal.
Ah yes! I went to Wildair because I couldn't get into Contra, but will be trying there again!

The very short list I had before I asked the question:
Contra
Momofuku Ko (bar set menu)
Gramercy Tavern (bar set menu)
Casa Mono (lunch)
Le Coq Rico (lunch)
Osteria Morini (Monday night pasta special)
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:53 pm

I personally have found they are generally better value, and I am not picky. But I am also open to ala carte if you have places in mind

Ah yes! I went to Wildair because I couldn't get into Contra, but will be trying there again!

Contra
Casa Mono (lunch)
Le Coq Rico (lunch)
I was going to suggest Gramercy Tavern. I've only ever eaten in the dining room, but it's a place I really like.

Of the others, I've heard of Momofuku Ko, but none of the others. Nor have I dined at any.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by United747
I was going to suggest Gramercy Tavern. I've only ever eaten in the dining room, but it's a place I really like.

Of the others, I've heard of Momofuku Ko, but none of the others. Nor have I dined at any.
I don't mind if I miss Gramercy Tavern to try new places, but I would also be very happy to go back there

On the other hand, I noticed you're from Chicago? I have never been before, and am due there just before NYC!
I am trying my best to try get a solo spot at Alinea (Salon). On the more afforadble side, I have heard good things about Girls & Goat, Roister and Publican.
Would you be able to share your thoughts on places in Chicago not too far from Miracle Mile
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:35 pm

I don't mind if I miss Gramercy Tavern to try new places, but I would also be very happy to go back there

On the other hand, I noticed you're from Chicago? I have never been before, and am due there just before NYC!
I am trying my best to try get a solo spot at Alinea (Salon). On the more afforadble side, I have heard good things about Girls & Goat, Roister and Publican.
Would you be able to share your thoughts on places in Chicago not too far from Miracle Mile
My go-to for Michelin is Tru in Streeterville.

I despise the ticket operated restaurants so have never been to any of them.

For other restaurants, I really enjoyed the food at Maple and Ash but haven't been in a long time. I also like Shanghai Terrace at the Pen for great Peking Duck.

I also think the restaurant group Lettuce Entertain You is very consistent with their restaurants having good food. If I want a "safe" restaurant where I know the food is good, I'll go to one of them.

But I've really been lacking in trying place in and around town recently, so I hope this helps.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:43 am

Thanks, saved all your recommendations! Tru sounds fantastic and will very well be my backup if Alinea doesn't work out
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:54 am

Thanks, saved all your recommendations! Tru sounds fantastic and will very well be my backup if Alinea doesn't work out
Tru is extremely good. That said, I will say that I enjoyed my food more when I ate there in March 2013 than I did last month.

I would not go to Alinea...it is an experience for sure, but I found the food to be below the expectations I had when spending that kind of money. YMMV.

Contra
Casa Mono (lunch)
Le Coq Rico (lunch)
If you want to eat in the tavern area of GT, be prepared to wait (if at night). I would recommend going for lunch, as you can get seated as soon as the open at noon.

Casa Mono is one of the best tapas joints around...that said, they do have some very tight seating, depending on where you are in the restaurant.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 3, 2017 at 4:17 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.