Consolidated "Dining Alone - suggestions, experiences, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Dining Alone - suggestions, experiences, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I've got a couple of things working against me (flawed personality acknowledged, but set aside here): I travel perpetually solo for business. Any socializing with clients would result in immediate termination. Add in the fact that my wife died at 47, I'm destined to many years to solo dining. Fortunately, it feels like a completely natural thing now. If others watching me - or restaurant management - feel uncomfortable or that I'm breaking some sort of cultural norm, they're going to have to get over it.

It is interesting that the Opentable reservation system offers more choice to parties of two than parties (is it still a party?) of one. Then again, I understand the cost involved.
Most restaurants don't want reservations for parties with an odd number of guests. Opentable sometimes allows it, but most times, returns no tables. I usually get around it by reserving a table for the next even number, and then saying that the "extra" person wasn't able to join.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Most restaurants don't want reservations for parties with an odd number of guests. Opentable sometimes allows it, but most times, returns no tables. I usually get around it by reserving a table for the next even number, and then saying that the "extra" person wasn't able to join.
I've thought about booking for two and claim my date stood me up. If you knew me and I could convince you I could get a date, you'd find it easy to believe I was stood up!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Dining out alone, that's what I did during my traveling days. I like to have my alone time.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:44 pm

I've thought about booking for two and claim my date stood me up. If you knew me and I could convince you I could get a date, you'd find it easy to believe I was stood up!
Why not try it?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by kipper
Why not try it?
Maybe I'm being too sensitive/"ethical" here. Restaurants pay for Opentable service. And it costs something "per table" to seat people (one, two, more) in a restaurant. One person doesn't provide as much revenue/profit to offset these fixed costs and opportunity costs that two people do.

I don't want to make it un-economic for restaurants to seat one person at a loss, when they can seat two at a profit. I certainly don't want to deceive.

Remember, these are restaurants that I LIKE, restaurants I want to see stay in business.

If the difference is between eight and nine, not such a big deal; the fixed costs are proportionately smaller.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:11 pm

Maybe I'm being too sensitive/"ethical" here. Restaurants pay for Opentable service. And it costs something "per table" to seat people (one, two, more) in a restaurant. One person doesn't provide as much revenue/profit to offset these fixed costs and opportunity costs that two people do.

I don't want to make it un-economic for restaurants to seat one person at a loss, when they can seat two at a profit. I certainly don't want to deceive.

Remember, these are restaurants that I LIKE, restaurants I want to see stay in business.

If the difference is between eight and nine, not such a big deal; the fixed costs are proportionately smaller.
I've been in a party of give and been told they don't have a table for us, but if I bring up OpenTable, I can reserve a table for 6 for a time within 15 minutes. If I'm by myself, and I can make a reservation for 2 for within 15-30 minutes, then obviously, the restaurant isn't that busy.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I love dining out alone!
Same here! I do it by choice, even in my own city. And definitely when I travel. Especially breakfast. I often go out to breakfast by myself here at home. I've even fibbed to friends who want to join me that I am meeting someone else . I love sitting there, reading the paper or just people watching. Married female here so I don't think it is a gender/single thing. And I never feel embarrassed or like a loser - it has never occurred to me that it was odd to eat by yourself and I certainly never give it a thought when I see someone else eating alone. Just go and enjoy it. People really aren't looking at you or thinking anything - it's your own insecurity that makes you think that.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Scrub
I go out to eat by myself all the time, usually for more expensive dining. Most of my friends don't have the financial ability to support that lifestyle.

But if you're solo traveling, why even worry about it? You have to eat and taking carry out to your hotel room to eat out of a Styrofoam container honestly is much more depressing than sitting at a restaurant by yourself. Even when travelling as a group I feel overwhelmed sometimes and just need that alone time and a nice dinner or cocktail is the perfect time to satiate that need.

That being said, if you're dining by yourself and you get tanked, people will definitely see that and that is actually kind of depressing, at least to me.

But for those of you that dine alone I do have a question for you: if the restaurant is more or less empty do you prefer to sit near people or kind of be secluded to yourself? If the atmosphere is right I personally like to be off by myself with a good view or near a fireplace of something like that. I have been put into the corner a few times and that feels kind of depressing.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by pairofkeets
But for those of you that dine alone I do have a question for you: if the restaurant is more or less empty do you prefer to sit near people or kind of be secluded to yourself? If the atmosphere is right I personally like to be off by myself with a good view or near a fireplace of something like that. I have been put into the corner a few times and that feels kind of depressing.
The placement of other diners doesn't interest me. Depending on my plans, I either ask for a table with a view or good light if I want to read.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: Independent
I go out to eat by myself all the time, usually for more expensive dining. Most of my friends don't have the financial ability to support that lifestyle.

But if you're solo traveling, why even worry about it? You have to eat and taking carry out to your hotel room to eat out of a Styrofoam container honestly is much more depressing than sitting at a restaurant by yourself. Even when travelling as a group I feel overwhelmed sometimes and just need that alone time and a nice dinner or cocktail is the perfect time to satiate that need.

That being said, if you're dining by yourself and you get tanked, people will definitely see that and that is actually kind of depressing, at least to me.

Usually I am not too bothered with where I sit. I don't like sitting right in a window, like I am on display or anything. Nor do I like feeling like I am some isolated island away from everything else, but really I think that is the case whether or not I am alone or with someone else. Likewise, I like to be in a booth or along the edge of the room, not smack dab in the middle.

At the same time, my favorite lunch place, they have about four tables set off in another section, near the kitchen. I actually prefer sitting there instead of the main dining room, but then again in this case I get conversational with the staff there.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:36 pm
Suspended

My preference is somewhere on the side or the corner as long as it's not near the kitchen or rest room. I like to be secluded by myself with a good view around the restaurant.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:50 pm

I've thought about booking for two and claim my date stood me up.
Keep in mind that some places won't seat a party until everyone has arrived. It'll be up to them whether or not seat you anyway.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:45 pm

I enjoy dining alone. I have often gone to a restaurant by myself. When I travel, I dine alone, and I am just fine. I think going places to have a good meal by oneself is wonderful.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:31 pm

party of one? expect worse service

Perception: given you are not distracted by conversation with companions and are just looking around, you can easily spot which parties are seated after you and in what order everybody is being served
Little things bother more, like not having water refilled. If you had a companion the conversation is so interesting you forget the empty glass

Benefit of another person at the table: doubles the chance the waiter will swing by and you can ask for something then (cause double the dishes to deliver)
Two hands up in the air is easier to see than one
If you need more water chances are your companion has some extra

Waiter's perspective (just conjecture)
Less tip potential, so less of a need to provide good service
If I forget just one person it is ok. If I forget a party of 5 I will hear about it
They don't mind waiting longer. They understand my prioritizing larger groups
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:54 pm

Observation: As a party of one I have normally gotten excellent service. I admit to not carefully observing and comparing diligence of the waiters at my table compared to others as it never occurred to me to be an issue. My experience in some restaurants is they seem to be impressed that someone eating alone would decide that restaurant would be the choice for food and service when the object is clearly that of getting a good dinner and nothing else. I have had a couple of the best meals ever at restaurants in Europe eating alone, but also at chains in the US. Also, I typically just bring a book so I am not left staring at everyone else. I do that at home on those occasions everyone else is somewhere else.

Note it is easier to service one person as no complications with the menu, simpler service, no split checks, probably the single diner does not stay as long etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.