Consolidated "In-N-Out Burger" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "In-N-Out Burger" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by TheKeeper
I'm normally not a fan of pickles, but have been growing into them lately. Pickles aren't big in Australia...

No Beetroot?!?! Hahaha... man you guys don't know what you're missing out on.

I think I'll order the Double double, animal style. See how I go.
I think the reason I dislike pickles is because I rather dislike the tangy taste of vinegar, and pickles are cured in vinegar. I suspect that's also the reason I am not a fan of beetroot (at least all of the beetroots I have had on burgers in Oz/NZ have been of the pickled variety).

I was, however, admonished in NZ for ordering a burger without beetroot and was informed that "the beetroot makes the burger."

I'll also be visiting as many burger joints in NYC while I'm there. Going to be 10kg heavier on return home...
Be sure to check out Shake Shack, which at first I pooh-poohed as an overhyped standard Midwestern burger shack burger brought to the middle of Manhattan, but subsequent visits to the other (non-Madison-Square-Park) locations have revealed my initial impressions to be incorrect. It is a darn good burger, even if it is basic. I can't speak for some of the uptown Manhattan branches, I've found that the Brooklyn location has a short line that moves very quickly.

As for other burgers in NYC, I'm sure you've done a ton of reading, and every foodie site has their own list, but IMHO, it comes down more to the butcher than to the restaurant. Any place on any list that serves a burger made from meat ground by Pat LaFrieda is guaranteed to be spectacular. I've had them at several places around the city as well as cooked at home and they never disappoint.

Originally Posted by braslvr
Just to be clear, I love some raw onion on my burgers. I just don't like caramelized onions, which come on the animal style burgers. And yeah, pickles are by far the most important topping to me. Oddly, In-N-Out does not put any pickles on their (non animal style) burgers unless you ask for them. FWIW, my wife loves caramelized onions and hates pickles.
Sounds like your wife and I would get along well.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by jackal

Be sure to check out Shake Shack, which at first I pooh-poohed as an overhyped standard Midwestern burger shack burger brought to the middle of Manhattan, but subsequent visits to the other (non-Madison-Square-Park) locations have revealed my initial impressions to be incorrect. It is a darn good burger, even if it is basic. I can't speak for some of the uptown Manhattan branches, I've found that the Brooklyn location has a short line that moves very quickly.

As for other burgers in NYC, I'm sure you've done a ton of reading, and every foodie site has their own list, but IMHO, it comes down more to the butcher than to the restaurant. Any place on any list that serves a burger made from meat ground by Pat LaFrieda is guaranteed to be spectacular. I've had them at several places around the city as well as cooked at home and they never disappoint.
100% What you just said. Looking forward to trying out a few Pat LaFrieda burgers
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Probably because burgers in Australia suck... We've had a bit of a surge in American style places opening up, but so many 'gourmet' burger places that charge $12+ for a burger with no flavour.
In n Out, to me, is a fairly ordinary pattie with thousand island sauce. Yeah it does the trick and it tastes a bit fresher than McD's but the hype around it I find very strange, it's almost cultish. It's not surprising the hipsters go cray cray for it.

Terrible fries too.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:48 pm

My son who refuses to eat fast food said I have to go try In and Out Burger.. so next trip to CA or Vegas...off I go finally.. reading the last post they sound better than McDonalds, but are they really that good?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by laxman1960
My son who refuses to eat fast food said I have to go try In and Out Burger.. so next trip to CA or Vegas...off I go finally.. reading the last post they sound better than McDonalds, but are they really that good?
Are they better than McDonald's? I think that's never been in dispute.

Are they the best thing since sliced burger buns? Well, you have 588 posts in this thread prior to yours debating that very point.

Do make sure you pay attention to the posts just a few posts above yours that reference the secret menu and ordering things Animal Style. IMHO, it makes all the difference.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Flame away.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by TWA884
Of course I'd rather have a nice ribeye vs a double double animal style, thats not even a fair comparison.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Some other impressive stuff
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I always order my fries "well done."
+1

The only way to go. Those complaining about the fries will have their eyes opened wide. The regular fries ARE soggy and "well done" not only fixes that but makes them delicious! Don't even think of ordering animal style fries without using the words 'WELL DONE".
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Just learned that DoorDash, a restaurant delivery service started in Silicon Valley is now delivering In-N-Out Burgers to my neighborhood. Brilliant. @:-)
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Wish they would open one on the east coast, or at least at SFO or LAX
Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:12 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by safra1
or LAX
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...d-threads.html
Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
In and Out would do great if they were brought into one of the terminals. East Coasters would flock.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:00 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Yeah, I once used an expiring $200 travel cert to fly to LAX, catch the Parking Spot shuttle, have In-N-Out, and fly home. I got the miles, paid maybe $50 for the flight, and of course $5-ish for the meal.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
Free rides to LAX In-N-Out are going away

Email this morning from the LAX Parking Spot folks:

We have some new procedures to share with you at The Parking Spot Century and The Parking Spot Sepulveda at LAX.

Over the past few months, we have noticed more and more people who are not parked at The Parking Spot riding our shuttles to and from the airport grounds. Because these non-customers did not park with us, they are taking seats on our shuttles from you, our guests.

In an effort to improve your experience and to make sure that only guests of The Parking Spot are using our shuttles, we have adjusted our pick-up procedure. Starting next Monday, May 4th, 2015, please have either your Spot Club card or the ticket you pulled at entrance handy to show the shuttle driver when you return back home from your trip."
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Boooo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.