Foods you don't always want to admit that you *don't* like

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foods you don't always want to admit that you *don't* like

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Scallops. I see them at most wine dinners. At best, they're tasteless and boring, but often they're not cooked well and are served undercooked without any golden brown singe.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Watermelon. I live in the South. People look at me like have two heads when I pass on eating watermelon.

Mac and cheese

Fried rice (I love all other rice, I'm just meh about fried rice).
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Scallops. I see them at most wine dinners. At best, they're tasteless and boring, but often they're not cooked well and are served undercooked without any golden brown singe.
Wow. To me they seem the perfect shellfish. No one shoves a raw one in your face and says "here, try this". They're not slimy. You only eat a single muscle from the creature, so not full of sand and you're not swallowing all the innards and guts and other nastiness.

I like that they swim freely, unlike mussels, barnacles and oysters which attach themselves to something or clams which burrow in the sand. And best of all, they're often served wrapped in a little jacket of bacon. Mmmm. Bacon.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by BamaVol
And best of all, they're often served wrapped in a little jacket of bacon. Mmmm. Bacon.
Have I got the product for you!

Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Wow. To me they seem the perfect shellfish. No one shoves a raw one in your face and says "here, try this". They're not slimy. You only eat a single muscle from the creature, so not full of sand and you're not swallowing all the innards and guts and other nastiness.

I like that they swim freely, unlike mussels, barnacles and oysters which attach themselves to something or clams which burrow in the sand. And best of all, they're often served wrapped in a little jacket of bacon. Mmmm. Bacon.
Really, MSPEconomist is just being generous and saving more scallops for those of us that do like them.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Have I got the product for you!

And its companion for the table - peppered bacon salt .....?
Attached Images  
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:42 pm

Beer, almost all condiments except perhaps vinegar & teriyaki sauce, beef/pork products, sweet deserts, bread, etc. Also a lot of "Southern Food" such as just about anything fried (exception is fish & chips with vinegar!), catfish, crawfish, etc.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Meh food: lobster; most cold-water fish (although the other shellfish tastes fine) -- there is a seafood place near me that serves the best-quality/least greasy fish and chips I have ever had, but to me the fish has zero flavor; raw cherries (love cooked cherries, like in pies, but raw ones have no flavor to me either)

Don't like but will eat (although I will go to great lengths to avoid): watermelon (and I'm a native Southerner! I'll only eat it in fruit salads, and even then I pick around it if I'm serving myself, but I won't eat a slice of watermelon); pepperoni (will eat it on a meat-lover's pizza, but I'm just as likely to pick it off a pepperoni pizza); pickles (but only on a Chick-fil-A sandwich)

Actively avoid/refuse to eat: mustard/ketchup/mayo/salad dressings (including oil & vinegar and vinaigrette) and anything made with them (coleslaw, pasta salad, etc.); salami, margarine; spicy foods (can't tolerate the heat, although some of the flavors are pretty good); alcohol (smells nasty, and the few times I've had something with alcohol in it, like rum cake, it has tasted nasty)

Like but not supposed to eat (medical): coffee (both my parents drink it, but neither I nor any of my siblings ever acquired the habit, which is just as well now), chocolate (which I love but I usually regret immediately if I eat now), and a whole host of other things that I like and are good for me and that I usually will eat if I am offered but that I otherwise avoid now
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:21 pm

Quinoa - I don't like it and yet everyone ooh's and aah's over that tasteless grain...or whatever the heck it is.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by SuperDudley
Quinoa - I don't like it and yet everyone ooh's and aah's over that tasteless grain...or whatever the heck it is.

Seed, I believe

Had it first in South America many years ago before it got trendy. It's about like any other... grain, like rice or wheat or barley. Don't dislike it, but not something I necessarily seek out.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I am automatically suspicious of anything with the word "artisanal" in it.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Steak

I am not sure what the hype is, let alone why we pay a restaurant $40 to serve an $8-15 piece of meat. I'll eat it, but I'm vastly, vastly happier with a hamburger for the three or four times a year I eat beef.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:22 am
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I am automatically suspicious of anything with the word "artisanal" in it.
My skepticism immediately resolves when that word is followed by "scotch" or "tequila."
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:34 am

Any member of the Brassicca family.

Wine.

Huge slabs of meat.

Anything "BBQ" or BBQ flavoured....

Actually...apologies.... my answer doesn't belong in this thread.... I have NO problem admitting I don't like those things...lol

Last edited by trooper; Jul 7, 2017 at 2:11 am
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Cheese

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.