Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Meal delivery kits - e.g., Blue Apron, Home Chef, Sun Basket, Green Chef, Hello Fresh

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meal delivery kits - e.g., Blue Apron, Home Chef, Sun Basket, Green Chef, Hello Fresh

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

amazon working on meal kits, first tests are easier but not as good as blue apron

clearly they could combine whole foods with meal kits, going to be interesting
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
amazon working on meal kits, first tests are easier but not as good as blue apron
Says who ?

I saw an unboxing/comparison on CNBC or NBR (cant remember which) saying they were very similar but seemed to give the nod to AMZN due to additional prepared meal components.

I'm not currently in the market for meal kits, but am definitely interested
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by im-headed-west
Says who ?

I saw an unboxing/comparison on CNBC or NBR (cant remember which) saying they were very similar but seemed to give the nod to AMZN due to additional prepared meal components.

I'm not currently in the market for meal kits, but am definitely interested
Additional prepared meal components would be nice.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i was paraphrasing from i think mainstream media article, dont recall

im looking forward to seeing what amazon does with whole foods
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: Platinum
Thank you all for your sharing your experience. We are trying Home Chef, and will try to get our teens to prep and cook for us. It will both get them to cook and let them choose a meal they are interested in. Something other than takeout pizza or my Japanese curry in a box.

Our first run was a success. They enjoyed the prep and the meal was excellent. The instructions for Home Chef were simple enough for them to prepare. The only problem was my wife came home midway through the prep and started to take over, which defeated the purpose of them cooking. My youngest immediately disappeared to his message boards. I'm not sure how to fix that, since I think she feels guilty not getting food prepared for the family, and naturally jumps in.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by frankmu
Thank you all for your sharing your experience. We are trying Home Chef, and will try to get our teens to prep and cook for us. It will both get them to cook and let them choose a meal they are interested in. Something other than takeout pizza or my Japanese curry in a box.

Our first run was a success. They enjoyed the prep and the meal was excellent. The instructions for Home Chef were simple enough for them to prepare. The only problem was my wife came home midway through the prep and started to take over, which defeated the purpose of them cooking. My youngest immediately disappeared to his message boards. I'm not sure how to fix that, since I think she feels guilty not getting food prepared for the family, and naturally jumps in.
Tell her that it is good for them to practice cooking skills, as it will make their spouses happy later in life.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by javabytes
I've been interested in trying these services, but I'm more after convenience in preparation than anything else... an alternative to take out, frozen meals, etc. Something where I can come home from work and whip up dinner in 15 minutes with minimal fuss. All of these services claim to make the shopping easier, but I'm interested in the actual prep.

A Blue Apron promotional video really turned me off - the one where they're preparing burgers, cheddar sauce, sweet potatoes (perhaps a few other things like grilled onions, can't really remember). It seemed like a delicious meal, but like it would take me 45 minutes to prepare, and then I would have to clean every pot and pan in my kitchen afterward.

Has anybody tried multiple services, and are there any that stand out for ease of actual meal preparation? (Already saw Gobble mentioned upthread - outside their delivery area though )
I ended up trying Blue Apron. I don't think I was far off in this assessment. Each meal takes a good 30-45 minutes to prep and cook. I've found most recipes to require 1 pot and 1 non-stick or cast iron skillet. I've cut down on dishes a bit by not putting everything in bowls... I leave most vegetables right on the cutting board and just use a spatula to transfer as necessary. 3 days a week has been okay for this level of involvement... I doubt I'd want to do this every day.

Been pretty happy with the meals so far... I am relatively unadventurous from a culinary standpoint. These meals have been a decent peacemaker in my house, stretching me to try new things within a reasonable level of comfort, while keeping my wife happy that we're not eating the same 5 meals over and over.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some interesting marketing strategies, Sun Basket recently had an amex membership rewards points bonus offer
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Updates from the Milepigs.

We burned out on Home Chef. Meals started to become repetitive and then they failed to get the boxes to us within the stated delivery window. We started complaining, they blamed the carrier, we said "you contracted with the carrier, deal with it", they said it was our problem, was the food spoiled? We said, doesn't matter if it was spoiled it was LATE. Around and around, late every week. We finally just canceled. We actually survived three fazes of HC. Last fall the quality went way down for awhile and other problems (you'd get two chicken breasts, one three times the size of the other, how do you cook that!!) then around the turn of the year it got markedly better with real name brand deluxe ingredients showing up, they they disappeared again a few months ago. In any case, we're done with them over their inability to take responsibility for their shipper.

We then tried Blue Apron. The first week we followed the post-delivery instructions to the letter and by the time we made the meals half the produce we'd left out per their instructions was rotten. So after that it all just went in the fridge. Even so, some of the produce, especially the tomatoes, was essentially rotten when we tried to use it. Also some problems with brown basil, limp chives, etc. Some meals had interesting flavors, but BA has much less variety that Home Chef did, making it hard to find three appealing meals each week. Their recipes aren't as easy to follow as HC, and with a mix of instructions in bold faced and regular type it was easy to overlook an ingredient when we were timing, stirring, and adding stuff all at the same time. In the end, what killed it was the three meal minimum. We started to dread the tyranny of the meals sitting in the fridge. Maybe I just wanted to do burgers on the grill or a quick mac and cheese, or even run to the taco stand a block away, but it was always "Nope, gotta use up a blue apron." So, we're canceling that.

In all honesty, except for the "box of stuff" efficiency, I'd much rather cook with our own recipes. They take no longer to make and the results are usually better.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

We're currently trialing Gobble. A friend switched to it, feeling this reduced time in kitchen. The bulk of meal services still required substantial food prep and time. A different friend then gave us an offer for one week free. We're two weeks into it and have liked it well enough we have our third week of meals ordered. What I like:
  • Some of the sauces come already prepared. Examples: sauted onions, green salsa.
  • There are several ethnic choices among the 8 dishes offered weekly. This is important to me. We love ethnic food and almost always choose ethnic food when we eat out. We've had excellent Indian dishes from Gobble. We eat meat but not a lot of it. When we have it, I'd rather my husband go to the store and select the quality and cut that he wants.
  • Clean up is much easier. It uses only half the dishes that Blue Apron, our most recent provider, used.
  • You can order side dishes, such as cookies to bake or soup or salad. We were comped two chocolate chip cookies the first box. They were delicious.

Results: We can have a tasty meal assembled in 20 to 30 minutes and clean up is markedly reduced.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We're currently trialing Gobble. A friend switched to it, feeling this reduced time in kitchen. The bulk of meal services still required substantial food prep and time. A different friend then gave us an offer for one week free. We're two weeks into it and have liked it well enough we have our third week of meals ordered. What I like:
  • Some of the sauces come already prepared. Examples: sauted onions, green salsa.
  • There are several ethnic choices among the 8 dishes offered weekly. This is important to me. We love ethnic food and almost always choose ethnic food when we eat out. We've had excellent Indian dishes from Gobble. We eat meat but not a lot of it. When we have it, I'd rather my husband go to the store and select the quality and cut that he wants.
  • Clean up is much easier. It uses only half the dishes that Blue Apron, our most recent provider, used.
  • You can order side dishes, such as cookies to bake or soup or salad. We were comped two chocolate chip cookies the first box. They were delicious.

Results: We can have a tasty meal assembled in 20 to 30 minutes and clean up is markedly reduced.
Gobble is now available in my area. Sounds like it is worth a try!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:41 pm

If anyone has a free week for Gobble, I'm interested in trying it.

I ended up with a free week for Hello Fresh (again). This time, I opted for the family meals, because they have a shorter cooking time.

The box arrived today, and our first meal is Tortelloni Bolognese. It wasn't that bad in regards to prep, although I'm reminded of how spoiled I am, because my wrist is not happy with all of the chopping.

That said, it's pretty good.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:21 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by kipper
If anyone has a free week for Gobble, I'm interested in trying it.
No promises, but send me your email. Gobble has given me two opportunities to gift free weeks that I've left unfilled. Perhaps there will be another one soon.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
No promises, but send me your email. Gobble has given me two opportunities to gift free weeks that I've left unfilled. Perhaps there will be another one soon.
Thank you! I just sent a PM.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a bunch of Green Chef freebies if anyone wants one....just PM me your email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.