Reload this Page >

Your favorite snack cakes

Your favorite snack cakes

Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Cloudship
For you New Englanders out there, Table Talk is making small pies again. Not well known outside the region, but I would definitely put them at or near the top.
That's what I'm talking about!

Every snack pie I've seen since leaving New England in 1989 has been a fried glazed turnover. I would kill for a blueberry mini table talk.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:25 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by empedocles
...Haven't seen Entenmann's in years. Their coffee cakes & the crumb doughnuts were awesome.
Plenty of Entenmann's offerings where I am, and I too love their coffee cake and doughnuts with the tiny pods of yummy goo on top that my children referred to as "sugar turdlets."
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: DL Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Cloudship
For you New Englanders out there, Table Talk is making small pies again. Not well known outside the region, but I would definitely put them at or near the top.
Mmm, especially pineapple or peach!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I bought a 10 pack of Ring Dings yesterday and found them to be tasteless. I also bought 6 Tastykake mini donuts and finished them wanting more. And there will be more.

I quit drinking for Lent and it has brought my sweet tooth to the forefront. Hopefully I will go back to beer in a couple weeks and forget all about the junk food. Fingers crossed or I'm in big trouble.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Miss Swede has allergies to dairy and eggs (amongst other things), and she can have the Tastykake honey buns--she's partial to the iced and Boston Creme.

I'm glad she can eat them, but I'm also frightened that she can eat them since that means there are lots of ingredients with really long names.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:33 am

Hostess does have some good snack cakes. I do prefer Little Debbie snack cakes, though.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I usually need to pack an extra bag when I travel to the UK just to bring back the sugary snacks I love: Tunnock's Tea Cakes (Pinwheels aren't even close, the marshmallow in Tunnock's is much more fluffy and delicious), Cadbury Mini Rolls, fondant fancies, Bakewell tarts... I love anything that will put me into a sugar-induced coma.

In the US, I've always been partial to Funny Bones but there isn't much here that I enjoy nearly as much as a Tunnock's Tea Cake.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
I like the Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets. It wasn't until a few years ago that we started getting them in stores on the west coast.

Not sure if you'd classify this as a snack cake, but Portuguese egg tarts are amazing! They differ from the typical Chinese egg tarts in that the tops are carmelized a bit. Both typically found at Chinese bakeries and dim sum restaurants.

Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by stevechin
I like the Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets. It wasn't until a few years ago that we started getting them in stores on the west coast.

Not sure if you'd classify this as a snack cake, but Portuguese egg tarts are amazing! They differ from the typical Chinese egg tarts in that the tops are carmelized a bit. Both typically found at Chinese bakeries and dim sum restaurants.

Portuguese egg tarts are delicious! I mostly run into them in Hong Kong. Had a few at the HR lounge last week.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:44 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
How could no one say Zebra Cakes?

I love those things. Although I try to limit myself to a box a year.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Cosmic Brownies...good god I haven't had one in forever. This thread is bad news.

Also Drake's Coffee Cake and Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets.

Last edited by sky303; Apr 12, 2017 at 10:54 am
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:55 am

I like hopia.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA
I have seen some photos of the new Suzy Qs online, and they do not look as appetizing to me as the Suzy Qs that I remember. But since I've yet to see them in any stores near me, I haven't been able to do a test yet.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:33 pm

Tastykake Cherry Pie
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
Out of the American supermarket options, I have a soft spot for Hostess Red Velvet Cupcakes, because I love every kind of red velvet thing

However, I think the Japanese really "take the cake" when it comes to making great snack cakes. I couldn't possibly list out every single brand and item that is good. I've never had a bad one! The flavour combinations are very innovative.

I also really miss the many kinds of packaged snack cakes which are widely available at bakeries in HKG (one of my hometowns), for example the mini chiffon cakes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.