Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cheapest restaurant patron I've witnessed

Cheapest restaurant patron I've witnessed

Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Oh my ... read Anthony Bourdain's book Kitchen Confidential (available HERE)

I will eat bread in restaurants. Even if I know it's probably been recycled off someone else's table. The reuse of bread is an industry-wide practice. I saw a recent news expose, hidden camera and all, where the anchor was shocked . . . shocked to see unused bread returned to the kitchen and then sent right back onto the floor. ......... I'm sure that some restaurants explicitly instruct their Bengali busboys to throw out all that unused bread-which amounts to about 50 percent-and maybe some places actually do it. But when it's busy, and the busboy is crumbing tables, emptying ashtrays, refilling water glasses, making espresso and cappuccino, hustling dirty dishes to the dishwasher-and he sees a basket full of untouched bread-most times he's going to use it. This is a fact of life. This doesn't bother me, and shouldn't surprise you. Okay, maybe once in a while some tubercular hillbilly has been coughing and spraying in the general direction of that bread basket, or some tourist who's just returned from a walking tour of the wetlands of West Africa sneezes-you might find that prospect upsetting. But you might just as well avoid air travel, or subways, equally dodgy environments for airborne transmission of disease. Eat the bread.

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Nothing wrong, imo, with taking the bread that has already been served. It will otherwise be thrown away, so better to take it and eat it than to let it go to waste.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:55 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
My grandma used to do that kind of stuff. Living through the Depression (and quitting high school to sell apples and newspapers on the street) really warped her in some ways.
My grandma did this when Mrs Willie & I got married, despite assuring her that there would be plenty of leftovers for her & my grandpa to take home.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Oh my ... read Anthony Bourdain's book Kitchen Confidential (available HERE)
I worked in "nice" resort area restaurants as a busboy while I was in high school and college. One chef/owner, who hired me away from a place where we had both worked previously promised me we wouldn't recycle as we had done elsewhere. That lasted about 2 weeks before big cans appeared at the dishwasher to collect family style vegetables and garnishes from bowls and plates taken from diners' tables. Of course bread was put back in the warmer. That never stopped me from stealing the odd blueberry muffin or garlic bread to hurriedly eat out by the dumpster on a 2 minute break.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum, *G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Hertz President's Circle
This was actually at a grocery store not a restaurant, but it was so absurd I'm posting it anyway. The guy in front of me at the checkout was buying a few items, including a pineapple, which is sold be weight. Right before his turn to check out, he ripped the crown off the pineapple (the leafy part on top) and shoved it in over by the gum and mints rack. As a portion of the weight of the pineapple, that must be nothing, saving him what, a penny? The cashier actually did scold him and he just kind of grunted in acknowledgement. Figure if you do something like, especially so shamelessly in front of others and just shoving the crown in with the gum, that you're kind of a sad enough person to feel sorry for.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by craigsf
This was actually at a grocery store not a restaurant, but it was so absurd I'm posting it anyway. The guy in front of me at the checkout was buying a few items, including a pineapple, which is sold be weight. Right before his turn to check out, he ripped the crown off the pineapple (the leafy part on top) and shoved it in over by the gum and mints rack. As a portion of the weight of the pineapple, that must be nothing, saving him what, a penny? The cashier actually did scold him and he just kind of grunted in acknowledgement. Figure if you do something like, especially so shamelessly in front of others and just shoving the crown in with the gum, that you're kind of a sad enough person to feel sorry for.
I'm a little surprised to see pineapples sold by weight. I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't priced per pineapple.

This same guy probably shucks the corn and peels the outer leaves off the cabbage back in the produce department. Maybe even removes the outer skin from his onions.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
The thing that really seriously gets my goat, is when people open up the calculator apps on their phones to calculate to the last 5c who owes what portion of the bill.
You must be Canadian, rounding to .05.. in the US these people will round to the penny!

I strongly prefer to always split any check evenly per person, regardless of what is ordered, drank, etc. However, unless this is agreed upon prior to the meal, I'll never force it upon others as I'm not aware of everyone's financial situation (or financial decisions up to that point which prohibit them from splitting equally/easily). I'll simply toss my card in and let them figure out what is owed, removing myself from any of the work.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:26 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sholnay
You must be Canadian, rounding to .05.. in the US these people will round to the penny!

I strongly prefer to always split any check evenly per person, regardless of what is ordered, drank, etc. However, unless this is agreed upon prior to the meal, I'll never force it upon others as I'm not aware of everyone's financial situation (or financial decisions up to that point which prohibit them from splitting equally/easily). I'll simply toss my card in and let them figure out what is owed, removing myself from any of the work.
I agree, but it reminds me of the Friends episode where Ross, Monica, and Chandler order like kings whereas Pheobe, Rachael, and Joey just order light and Joey even asks the waiter if ordering less things on his pizza is cheaper.

The One With 5 Steaks and an Eggplant
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:44 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom
Original Poster

Cheap people

My wife and I simply avoid people who are cheap, which I consider not just splitting it. If they insist on using a calculator because they dont have the aptitude for basic arithmetic, well....
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Went to a dinner for 6 a few weeks ago where one of the ladies ordered an entree. She took a bite and decided she didn't like it and ordered something else. As the unwanted entree was just sitting at the table, the other people present started picking at it during conversation, as you do.

Naturally when the bill came aforementioned lady refused to pay for two entrees, citing the fact she didn't eat the first one...
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton

Actually I work in Germany, where the waiter is often expected to work out separate checks for each person at the table. I find it embarrassing when people ask waiters to do this, especially when I am the only person at the table who offers a tip. I can just imagine how an American waiter would react to this.

On the rare occasions a waiter will refuse to split the check, I do something similar to you. I grossly over-estimate my portion and throw a corresponding bill on the table (eg. in a group of 4 with a check of 120, I'll throw down a 50), disappear to the bathroom or for a smoke, and leave the penny-pinchers to it. I nearly always find my change neatly stacked in front of my place on my return.

I don't think people get that it annoys/embarrasses me. I think they just assume I can't add up.

Originally Posted by craigsf
The guy in front of me at the checkout was buying a few items, including a pineapple, which is sold be weight. Right before his turn to check out, he ripped the crown off the pineapple (the leafy part on top) and shoved it in over by the gum and mints rack.
LMAO!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 14, 2017 at 11:37 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Guvner067
Went to a dinner for 6 a few weeks ago where one of the ladies ordered an entree. She took a bite and decided she didn't like it and ordered something else. As the unwanted entree was just sitting at the table, the other people present started picking at it during conversation, as you do.

Naturally when the bill came aforementioned lady refused to pay for two entrees, citing the fact she didn't eat the first one...
Ouch.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Guvner067

Dinner for 5 next time?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:24 am

I've always HATED buying rhubarb and paying for the green leaves. They're poisonous, so we throw them away. I remember a few times ripping off the green leaves. Why pay for poison? And some people wouldn't know this and cook them.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
On the rare occasions a waiter will refuse to split the check, I do something similar to you. I grossly over-estimate my portion and throw a corresponding bill on the table (eg. in a group of 4 with a check of 120, I'll throw down a 50), disappear to the bathroom or for a smoke, and leave the penny-pinchers to it. I nearly always find my change neatly stacked in front of my place on my return.

I don't think people get that it annoys/embarrasses me. I think they just assume I can't add up.

LMAO!

I find it annoying and unfair for the check to not be split according to what people ordered if the ordering is not even among everyone at the table. Because some people can't be bothered to do a few minutes of math to make things fair doesn't make others "cheap". Think of the situation where one person orders a salad and no drinks (for diet or other reasons) and another orders 4 cocktails and a steak. Why should the salad person subsidize the steak person? It should be embarrassing to expect someone else pay for your more expensive order.

That being said, if everyone pretty much orders evenly, then splitting the check evenly makes sense too.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by transparent
I find it annoying and unfair for the check to not be split according to what people ordered if the ordering is not even among everyone at the table. Because some people can't be bothered to do a few minutes of math to make things fair doesn't make others "cheap". Think of the situation where one person orders a salad and no drinks (for diet or other reasons) and another orders 4 cocktails and a steak. Why should the salad person subsidize the steak person? It should be embarrassing to expect someone else pay for your more expensive order.

That being said, if everyone pretty much orders evenly, then splitting the check evenly makes sense too.
I'm talking about situations where everyone orders pretty much the same or similar.

Obviously in the extreme example above, then of course the person who orders the steak pays more. In fact if someone just ordered a salad and no drinks while I wolfed down a steak and cocktails, I would probably insist on just paying the full check myself.

I am referring more to a situation where one person's main course costs 0.40 less that someone else's and another person's glass of wine costs 20c more than my beer. These things come and go - next week it will be the other guy ordering the 50c dearer dessert.

If people are so anal about +/- 20c they should eat alone or just stay at home. In fact the situations I have witnessed, where debates literally come down to 10c one way or the other, have made me so uncomfortable that I have started doing just that and letting them get on with saving their 10c.

Interestingly, I find it is always work colleagues who do this, i.e. professional people on decent salaries. The bartenders, apprentices and students I choose to hang around with outside work are the complete opposite. The 50c or 1.00 differences go back and forth between everyone and nobody cares.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.