Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest restaurant patron I've witnessed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by DSI
So normally I don't get annoyed at stuff like kids running around, frat boy parties, etc... But last night we went out to a nice dinner, not realizing that it was "restaurant week" in our city where people can try out different restaurants for a discounted price.

So we went there, ordered normal items, drinks, etc... and the table next to us had six people and two children and they ordered only one of the discounted three course menus for all (not each!) of them, only drank water and got like 6 bread baskets. And then when they left, they left a one dollar bill, as they seemed disappointed that they didn't get more for their money and annoyed that the server (and later manager) came to ask them if they'd like to order more.

It just struck me as excessively cheap for this particular restaurant.

Sure at a McDonalds you'll run into all kinds of busto people who can't afford a $1 burger, but this was a semi-to-fine dining restaurant and this was the first time I've seen this thing happen. One app, one main and one desert for 6 people and two children.
I hate these dining events for a number of reasons. This is one of them. I eat out most meals, and the dining event time for my city, which is currently going on, I tend to stay home.

I can understand if you can't normally afford a nice place and you want to go try it out, but don't complain when you haven't filled up 6 people on one dinner.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
wow, that's ridiculous. I like to believe most restaurants still benefit from this dining events, other wise they wouldn't keep participating each year.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Toronto restaurant week (twice a year) is done pretty well. It is done at a very slow time for the industry, so it gets bums on seats. We normally go out for a work lunch to somewhere we have never been before, as it is normally a nice, buzzy atmosphere, and it is a good excuse to go out as a group, as we procrastinate the rest of the year! The cheaper prices don't hurt either, and most places the quality doesn't suffer (at least with the downtown lunch crowd, as the restaurants are trying to attract more regular business, which they won't get if the quality isn't there - I have heard that restaurants in more residential areas do go lower quality and see it as a volume opportunity.)
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
When I was a kid, we took a family vacation to Puerto Rico. While down there, we had dinner one night with a very distant relative at a high end restaurant. This cousin was down on vacation as well.

During the meal, he kept asking the waiter for sliced lemons. He would then squeeze them into a glass of water, and add a couple of sugar packs. When asked why he was doing this, he said "no way that I'm paying for lemonade when I can make it myself".

Mom and Dad were mortified!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:58 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by DSI
So normally I don't get annoyed at stuff like kids running around, frat boy parties, etc... But last night we went out to a nice dinner, not realizing that it was "restaurant week" in our city where people can try out different restaurants for a discounted price.

So we went there, ordered normal items, drinks, etc... and the table next to us had six people and two children and they ordered only one of the discounted three course menus for all (not each!) of them, only drank water and got like 6 bread baskets. And then when they left, they left a one dollar bill, as they seemed disappointed that they didn't get more for their money and annoyed that the server (and later manager) came to ask them if they'd like to order more.

It just struck me as excessively cheap for this particular restaurant.

Sure at a McDonalds you'll run into all kinds of busto people who can't afford a $1 burger, but this was a semi-to-fine dining restaurant and this was the first time I've seen this thing happen. One app, one main and one desert for 6 people and two children.
Usually a group of 8 requires an auto-tip. So is it possible that they were tipping $1 on top of an 18-20% that was already added? Not that 20% of one entree for an 8-top is even remotely acceptable.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I witnessed a diner tipping $1 Sunday night at a Chili's on a party of 3. What was amazing was he personally handed it to the server, as if he was proud of himself.
It could only have been more classy if he'd handed it over using two hands, Japanese style.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed that seems odd at least. I don't get it either.

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I've seen elderly members of my family do something like that - usually emptying the bread basket into a purse and asking for more. But they weren't the ones paying the bill.
My grandma used to do that kind of stuff. Living through the Depression (and quitting high school to sell apples and newspapers on the street) really warped her in some ways.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by emma69
In Toronto restaurant week (twice a year) is done pretty well. It is done at a very slow time for the industry, so it gets bums on seats. We normally go out for a work lunch to somewhere we have never been before, as it is normally a nice, buzzy atmosphere, and it is a good excuse to go out as a group, as we procrastinate the rest of the year! The cheaper prices don't hurt either, and most places the quality doesn't suffer (at least with the downtown lunch crowd, as the restaurants are trying to attract more regular business, which they won't get if the quality isn't there - I have heard that restaurants in more residential areas do go lower quality and see it as a volume opportunity.)
I have been in this events in Toronto and i have always enjoyed them. I believe portions are smaller, but not significantly (my perception, not sure).

Originally Posted by yurtripper
It could only have been more classy if he'd handed it over using two hands, Japanese style.
hilarious.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 29, 2017 at 6:55 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: American/Hilton Honors/Hyatt
For many years, my husband and I worked different hours. On Friday night, I would go to our local, mid-priced restaurant and eat dinner. The manager, Mary, was always nice to me, sat me in a spot where I could people watch, and usually stopped and talked for a couple of minutes. I took my mother one night, and as I was paying the bill, my mother opened her purse and proceeded to put the sugar, paper napkins and whatever else was on the table in her purse. I said - what are you doing? She assured me that the use of these items were included in the price of the meal. i told her to put them back. She explained that she heard it on tv, these items were included in the price of the dinners I just paid for. I said - mom, that is the problem with your argument - I paid for the dinners, and I have chosen not to take these items from the table. When you pay for the dinners, you can do whatever you want. She opened her purse, put the items back and gave me a dirty look. She sulked all the way to her house. I still laugh over it.

Last edited by lippincottfarm1; Jan 28, 2017 at 2:53 pm
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
When I was still in Uni, I went on a trip to the USA with my best friend to visit our friends still at college.
Since we were all pretty poor students, my best friend ordered a burger at a diner and then asked for it WITHOUT any of the salad, thinking it was going to make it cheaper. He then asked the rest of us with our normal burgers if he could get some lettuce, tomato etc off us so he could put it on his.
He ended up being charged the normal amount for his burger too
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:08 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by oh_lol
When I was still in Uni, I went on a trip to the USA with my best friend to visit our friends still at college.
Since we were all pretty poor students, my best friend ordered a burger at a diner and then asked for it WITHOUT any of the salad, thinking it was going to make it cheaper. He then asked the rest of us with our normal burgers if he could get some lettuce, tomato etc off us so he could put it on his.
He ended up being charged the normal amount for his burger too
Chick-fil-a takes something like 15˘ off for no tomato!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by United747
Chick-fil-a takes something like 15˘ off for no tomato!
Interesting... I didn't realize that.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:52 am

yup, pretty cheap alright. but if that is all they are willing to spend and the place is not turning away better customers its harmless i guess.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not a big fan of Restaurant Week for many of the reasons listed above. You can often order what you want off the regular menu for pretty much the same price as the restaurant week special, which are often just not the quality you'd normally see.

I have a similar beef with banquet rooms in restaurants. All too often what you get is pretty much standard "banquet food" (rubber chicken, etc.) and not what the restaurant normally serves. I often think "they've got 50 people in this room, and they'll all leave with this meal being their only impression of the place, and not come back" when I know the regular food rocks. If I were consulting for them, I'd have them think about banquets as a chance to bring in new customers, so they'd better go all out. Maybe even losing money.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I've seen elderly members of my family do something like that - usually emptying the bread basket into a purse and asking for more. But they weren't the ones paying the bill.

And certainly I've seen people clean out the hotel breakfast buffet, taking all the hard boiled eggs, apples and yogurt and shoving them in a grocery bag.

But that was a La Quinta, so not completely unexpected.
Nothing wrong, imo, with taking the bread that has already been served. It will otherwise be thrown away, so better to take it and eat it than to let it go to waste.

Of course, asking for more with the express purpose of taking it is inappropriate, as is loading up on breakfast buffet items to save for later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.