Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Debris Found in Food; What Should Manager Have Done?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:07 am
OTD
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus

My wife, MIL and I were eating at a local deli chain yesterday. Wife is eating Shepherd's Pie and is enjoying it when she comes across a sharp piece of plastic in her food. Could have been a shard off a broken clear plastic utensil, but there's no way to tell.
I call over manager, show her the shard and her first response was "I don't know how that could've gotten in there! We wouldn't put that in there!"
Eventually she got around to saying my wife's meal would be comped, and asked if we wanted some dessert. We declined.
I'm thinking the meal should've been comped for all of us. I didn't make a stink, but it seems like a manager on her toes might have fixed this better.
Any thoughts?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Manager definitely should have comped the bad meal, and offered to replace it with anything else on the menu your wife wanted. Sounds like she did offer free dessert. I'd say that's enough.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
If I were the manager, I would have comped her meal and offered a profound apology. I don't know that the entire table deserved a free meal. What if it had been a party of 12?

Free desserts and appetizers are for minor glitches like the wrong meals delivered to the table or cold food.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:09 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I think the manager did more than required... the offending meal was comped.... and then an offer for dessert for everyone.

In no way, should the manager have to comp everyone's meal.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA
I recently had an issue where the manager went above and beyond. I ordered a fish and chips plate at a middle of the road restaurant and when it came out with the other diners dishes, the tartar sauce cup had a hair in it. Normally I would have plucked it out and ate my dinner, but this was a particularly nasty looking hair. I casually mentioned it to the server who immediately apologized and took my entire plate away before I could say that all was required was a new cup of tartar sauce. Some minutes passed and a new plate was brought out with piping hot fresh fish and chips with tartar sauce sans hair.

as we were wrapping up our main courses the manager approached and apologized and confirmed that my meal would be comped. I was very pleased by the server and manager going above and beyond when I would have been happy with a new tartar sauce.

Sadly their food is not very good so I won't be going their often but will when suggested by others.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ate out a couple of weeks ago and found a piece of scouring pad wire in my food. Waitress was horrified, manager came out to apologize, offered to remake the dish (I declined, as I really rather lost my appetite), and when I did decline offered a to-go dish for later (which I also declined as I knew ultimately I wouldn't want to eat it). Obviously the meal was removed from the bill. I thought that was an entirely reasonable way of handling it, although I personally would have comped the cup of tea I ordered to drink while the rest of the party ate.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Sounds to me that the manager's response was adequate
and then some,
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Seems adequate to comp the meal and offer something to accompany it. Why should everyone else's food, which is fine, be comped?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
You should sue the restaurant for trying to kill your wife. /s

Seriously though, manager did more than necessary to make it right. Forgive and move on.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
I am definitely biased. It's below average in my opinion. I miss the San Antonio Oyster Bar in San Antonio

My High School Graduation, Lunch party of ~10. Seafood restaurant we've eaten at for the third time in 5 days. My father's meal was 10 minutes late compared to everybody else. They said it was accidentally burnt and they needed to make another one. Everybody's meal was comped and we could have had free desert if we didn't have to go to my graduation! I believe the bill was around $400 with tax, but could have been $500+.

They joked about staying to have desert while I go to my graduation alone.

Free meal for everybody because the main course for 1 person was 10 minutes late. We didn't ask for anything, they just did it. The food was awesome as always.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
I am definitely biased. It's below average in my opinion. I miss the San Antonio Oyster Bar in San Antonio

My High School Graduation, Lunch party of ~10. Seafood restaurant we've eaten at for the third time in 5 days. My father's meal was 10 minutes late compared to everybody else. They said it was accidentally burnt and they needed to make another one. Everybody's meal was comped and we could have had free desert if we didn't have to go to my graduation! I believe the bill was around $400 with tax, but could have been $500+.

They joked about staying to have desert while I go to my graduation alone.

Free meal for everybody because the main course for 1 person was 10 minutes late. We didn't ask for anything, they just did it. The food was awesome as always.
these kinds of places usually make a lot less profit
so can understand reasons for decision making

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.